SaltyCajun.com http://www.lmcboats.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 02-09-2014, 11:50 AM
Flounder

Cash: 628

Easily convert one of these into a potato cannon. Just build a barrel out of pvc sized to fit your needs. Beware, will almost shoot a spud into orbit. Will need a good supply of compressed air.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg airtank.jpg (15.8 KB, 194 views)
Old 02-09-2014, 12:05 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452

Quote:
Originally Posted by swt70611 View Post
I've looked at few of those on YouTube but haven't seem what they are using as a trigger/release. What's your idea on that?

Also saw a homemade one made of PVC pipe. Not sure I like that idea.
The simplest release is a ball valve. We hope to use a 2" ball valve for simplicity, durability, and prevention of premature launches. I've seen designs with sprinkler valves and others also that provide faster initiation of air flow, but there are bait launchers getting 1000 ft with ball valves, which is more than we're hoping for.

You can get PVC rated for 300 PSI. Combined with only filling a pneumatic design to a max of 100 PSI, there should not be a problem. We've used PVC in several combustion designs with a sharp pressure rise and we've never had a failure. We've also used metal. Metal tubes have a lot more friction in the barrel and less uniformity which increases gas blow-by. IMHO, better to use properly rated PVC and keep pressures < 100 PSI.
Old 02-09-2014, 01:25 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 3,468

The ball valve makes sense. Was curious if it opened fast enough. Sprinkler solenoid valves would work but have to deal with powering them.

Be careful not to let the PVC get dropped or beat up. We had a shop with PVC airlines. It was over 100psi by a little. Nevertheless had a fitting blow out. Scared the **** out of us.

I had aluminum tube in mind. Inside walls could be machined smooth and polished. Not cost effective as PVC though.
Old 02-09-2014, 05:10 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
The ball valve makes sense. Was curious if it opened fast enough. Sprinkler solenoid valves would work but have to deal with powering them.

Be careful not to let the PVC get dropped or beat up. We had a shop with PVC airlines. It was over 100psi by a little. Nevertheless had a fitting blow out. Scared the **** out of us.

I had aluminum tube in mind. Inside walls could be machined smooth and polished. Not cost effective as PVC though.
Machined aluminum would be cool and likely function very well. I had not thought of it because it is expensive to make a 4-6 ft long machined hole. I was thinking more of hardware store steel pipe.
Old 02-09-2014, 06:24 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 3,468

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathGeek View Post
Machined aluminum would be cool and likely function very well. I had not thought of it because it is expensive to make a 4-6 ft long machined hole. I was thinking more of hardware store steel pipe.
I have access to tubing. Interior walls are better than pipe and could be smoothed with a hone. What's the magic length?
Old 02-09-2014, 07:39 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
I have access to tubing. Interior walls are better than pipe and could be smoothed with a hone. What's the magic length?
I wish I knew more about optimal lengths. We like 4 ft for our combustion designs, but this is our first pneumatic. Most pneumatic designs have 4-6 ft barrels with reservoir volumes ~2 times the volume of the barrel.

If your reservoir volume is the same as your barrel volume, you only have half the original pressure pushing the projectile at the end of the barrel. If your reservoir volume is twice your barrel volume, you have 67% of the original pressure pushing the projectile at the end of the barrel, assuming the ideal gas law applies. Barrel dwell time is 1/20 to 1/10 of a second, so you need to get the valve open and have enough gas move through quickly to maintain that kind of pressure behind the projectile.
Old 02-09-2014, 08:46 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 7,266

Quote:
I wish I knew more about optimal lengths. We like 4 ft for our combustion designs, but this is our first pneumatic. Most pneumatic designs have 4-6 ft barrels with reservoir volumes ~2 times the volume of the barrel.

If your reservoir volume is the same as your barrel volume, you only have half the original pressure pushing the projectile at the end of the barrel. If your reservoir volume is twice your barrel volume, you have 67% of the original pressure pushing the projectile at the end of the barrel, assuming the ideal gas law applies. Barrel dwell time is 1/20 to 1/10 of a second, so you need to get the valve open and have enough gas move through quickly to maintain that kind of pressure behind the projectile.

Could you scale performance paintball guns?
Old 02-09-2014, 10:54 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goooh View Post
Could you scale performance paintball guns?
I don't know. I'm pretty sure I'll get close enough copying an existing pneumatic design.
Old 02-12-2014, 12:31 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,275

came across these while stumbling around the internet today... perhaps they can offer idea's / thoughts on your project.

http://powerlining.com/

it seems like that fire extinguisher setup the first guy is using is pretty simple.... but have no idea how he is doing it..
Old 02-12-2014, 02:19 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,852

Quote:
I don't know. I'm pretty sure I'll get close enough copying an existing pneumatic design.
why not something like this? http://potato-gun.wonderhowto.com/ho...azooka-316369/

its cheap, simple, light weight, and very portable and you don't need to drag air tanks around and it looks to have the power to get all the distance you need
Old 02-12-2014, 03:24 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by keakar View Post
why not something like this? http://potato-gun.wonderhowto.com/ho...azooka-316369/

its cheap, simple, light weight, and very portable and you don't need to drag air tanks around and it looks to have the power to get all the distance you need
We really want a design to get baits consistently out to 600' from the beach.

We've worked a lot with combustion driven launchers both aerosols (hair spray, rem oil, Brut anti-perspirant, etc.) and pure fuels (acetylene, propane, butane, methanol, ethanol), and we've even published several papers. The bottom line with combustion driven launchers is that even when you carefully measure the fuel and have a uniform projectile, you get wide variations in velocities which translate to wide variations in distance. Yes, these things sometimes will give you a 600' flight, but you will also get a lot of 200-400' distances.

When you're launching a mullet frozen in a cylindrical ice "bullet" with a hook and a sinker, you really want a consistent distance, because each launch attempt uses up a carefully prepared frozen bait.
Old 02-12-2014, 05:05 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,852

Quote:
We really want a design to get baits consistently out to 600' from the beach.

We've worked a lot with combustion driven launchers both aerosols (hair spray, rem oil, Brut anti-perspirant, etc.) and pure fuels (acetylene, propane, butane, methanol, ethanol), and we've even published several papers. The bottom line with combustion driven launchers is that even when you carefully measure the fuel and have a uniform projectile, you get wide variations in velocities which translate to wide variations in distance. Yes, these things sometimes will give you a 600' flight, but you will also get a lot of 200-400' distances.

When you're launching a mullet frozen in a cylindrical ice "bullet" with a hook and a sinker, you really want a consistent distance, because each launch attempt uses up a carefully prepared frozen bait.
oh, ok

I guess a 12v air pump isn't much different then having a bag full of cans of hair spray & such to carry around

did you look into those pneumatic pumpkin cannons that have booster tubes to increase the speed as it goes down the barrel?

from what I saw they had internal triggers that when the projectile passed the next stag it triggered the next tube (positioned at a 45* angle) to open, thereby maintaining and increasing the back pressure so it never stops accelerating and leaves the barrel with much greater velocity then the one time release of pressure of a single stage. the guy said it doubled and tripled the distances they got.

I saw it on tv show about the pumpkin chucking competitions but I cant find a link to anything about his design though.
Old 02-12-2014, 06:56 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,460

This is good stuff.
Warden ever see you doing this? I bet ole boy scratch his head when you explain what you are doing launching frozen shaped cut mullet 600' with a potato gun.
Next you will need a special license, training course, back ground check and at least 2 good references.