SaltyCajun.com http://www.gclendingservices.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 05-25-2012, 05:32 PM
Redfish

Cash: 1,201

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty View Post
What would the consider the person on the giving end?
I'm not following you...?
Old 05-25-2012, 05:33 PM
Super Moderator

Cash: 18,486

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsufish View Post
You're lucky!
Old 05-25-2012, 06:28 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,358

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefman View Post
Great comments here.
I compete everyday in business; when I'm on the water I think about nothing else but finding and hookin' a spec. I have no desire to get into turf battles on public waters. If I sense uneasiness from other boats in my proximity I leave to find other areas to fish. I really don't mind sharing an area with another boat or two if we're on a school in a tight area. Often the constant catching of fish will keep the school aggressive and biting. Just tell the other boats what you expect and how to anchor or drift the school in a polite manner. Works great.

Anger, aggression, entitlement are emotions best left in the truck and not in a boat.
amen!
Old 05-25-2012, 07:20 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452

I think all would do well to remember that the competition is with the fish, not with other anglers. I remember fishing the jetties down at belle pass last summer. We anchored about 50 yards from the next boat down. There were mullet everywhere and the bull reds were hitting them, so of course, we try and net some mullet. The next boat down had already caught a red or two on the mullet and when they saw what we were doing, they asked us to come alongside of them so they could give us some of their mullet. I thought the waves were too high for a safe exchange of that sort, so I thanked them and politely declined. But my point is that the boat next to us was incredibly friendly and wanted to help us catch fish more than they were worried about us intruding on their space.

We've fished jetties at belle pass on a number of occasions and it seems like 50 yards or so is the "polite" distance apart that the boats tend to anchor. If someone complained and wanted a bit more room, I'd certainly give it to them.

I've never had an issue with boats getting uncomfortably close in big lake, but we tend to fish the weekdays and find something else to do on the predictably busy days, or we fish the cameron jetties instead where we've never had a problem finding a good spot at least 100 yards away from the next boat. With the stiffer tides at the cameron jetties, I prefer to give other boats a lot more room, and there tends to be more room there for the boats to spread out.
Old 05-25-2012, 07:22 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,217

Quote:
The problem i see is that right now there is another thread on this site where someone suggested creating "big lake fishing etiquette" flyers and posting/handing them out at marinas, fishing stores, etc.. IMO a very good idea that could be a great teaching tool for a novice about to head out on the water who otherwise wouldn't know better. THat thread has 3 replys total. Instead, people rather stay on this thread going back and forth and not solving anything. You will never fully eliminate inconsiderate people on the water, just as you wont eliminate them in life, but a little education would go a long way in helping cure this issue. I would imagine most people that are on the recieving end of a "figure 8" aren't inconsiderate, just uneducated.

Lets start being part of the solution instead of contributing to the problem.
If someone throws a wake on you, just take a picture and send it to the LDWF. They will pay the offender a visit and hand him some paperwork.
It's better to get him mad than for you to get mad.
Old 05-25-2012, 07:39 PM
Great White

Cash: 3,391

Quote:
You wrote:

Quote:
I would imagine most people that are on the recieving end of a "figure 8" aren't inconsiderate, just uneducated.

What is the person on the giving end of a "figure 8".....inconsiderate or uneducated?
Old 05-25-2012, 07:48 PM
Redfish

Cash: 812

I think the person on the receiving end of a figure 8 should feel threatned and disable the offenders motor immediately with a couple rounds to the cowling!
Old 05-25-2012, 08:14 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 1,505

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray View Post
If someone throws a wake on you, just take a picture and send it to the LDWF. They will pay the offender a visit and hand him some paperwork.
It's better to get him mad than for you to get mad.
That's exactly what I was thinking film them with your phone and let ldwf take care of em.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-25-2012, 08:24 PM
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fastmerc View Post
That's exactly what I was thinking film them with your phone and let ldwf take care of em.

Ban 'em from Big Lake.

Can you imagine the state of mind the lil guy would be in if he were banned from fishing Big Lake?

Old 05-25-2012, 09:25 PM
Calcasieu Extreme Rods

Cash: 13,316

found hung for real
Old 05-25-2012, 10:49 PM
Redfish

Cash: 1,201

Quote:
You wrote:

What is the person on the giving end of a "figure 8".....inconsiderate or uneducated?
My point is most people that end up with dubya doing figure 8's around their boat probably don't know any better. Therefore I believe they aren't inconsiderate, as much as they are uneducated. I think if they knew what they were doing they wouldn't cut people off "potlick" etc in the first place.

The people that give figure 8s aren't uneducated or inconsiderate... Just classless.
Old 05-25-2012, 11:06 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 1,505

Quote:
Ban 'em from Big Lake.

Can you imagine the state of mind the lil guy would be in if he were banned from fishing Big Lake?

It's worth a try. :-)

Old 05-25-2012, 11:07 PM
Great White

Quote:
My point is most people that end up with dubya doing figure 8's around their boat probably don't know any better. Therefore I believe they aren't inconsiderate, as much as they are uneducated. I think if they knew what they were doing they wouldn't cut people off "potlick" etc in the first place.

The people that give figure 8s aren't uneducated or inconsiderate... probably just short
Oh, I gotcha.
Old 05-25-2012, 11:51 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,296

You know, it doesn't matter where you at, on the water, driving down the road, hunting, there are people who have no courtesy to anyone else. And sometimes as upset as I get with these fools, I just move on, because sure as I say something or do something, that fool will beat da mess out of me or shoot me. NOT WORTH IT! And I would hate to go to prison protecting myself from that fool. So just learn to "move on", it's called "Big" Lake for a reason, lots of area to fish, lots of fish to catch. Some will never learn respect.
Old 05-26-2012, 12:15 AM
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyI View Post
You know, it doesn't matter where you at, on the water, driving down the road, hunting, there are people who have no courtesy to anyone else. And sometimes as upset as I get with these fools, I just move on, because sure as I say something or do something, that fool will beat da mess out of me or shoot me. NOT WORTH IT! And I would hate to go to prison protecting myself from that fool. So just learn to "move on", it's called "Big" Lake for a reason, lots of area to fish, lots of fish to catch. Some will never learn respect.
Danny, I believe the exact opposite is the reason why it's so bad over there. If you took the same amount of people on "Big" Lake for the "Shootout" and spread them out under the Lake Pontchartrain Causeway....there would be ample area for each boat to fish without hindering someone else. There are too many boats over there relative to the area they have to fish. If you think "Big" Lake is big......you need to come check out the lakes on this side of the state. We got duck ponds that size.