SaltyCajun.com http://www.lmcboats.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 05-31-2012, 08:21 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,948
Default Surf Fishing Holly Beach

Alright, been reading reports for a while about surf fishing at Holly Beach, so I'm thinkin about going myself. Any tips for a newbie on what to look for in the weather? Was thinking about going this weekend. Also, is tent camping allowed on the beach. Thinkin about making a weekend of it.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:33 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,970

north wind or very calm winds for 2-3 days usually will clear the water enough to fish
Old 05-31-2012, 08:36 AM
Redfish

Cash: 1,707

Don't use a stringer, get one of those floating hoop/laundry bag type nets. Sharks will eat them right off the stringer. Made that mistake Monday from the kayak. I was all the way west on Little Florida Beach. I saw many tents and campsites. Another tip, be careful if you drive on the sand. We got stuck twice. We caught some nice specks on glow/chartruese sand eels.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:42 AM
King Mackeral

Cool. What kind of setup do ya'll use. I've got an Ugly Stick (7' or 8' i think; need to respool it with some new 50 lb braid) that I was thinkin about using. Also, how difficult (expensive, time consuming) is it to get into shark fishing? Always wanted to chase the toothy monsters.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:01 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,970

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smalls View Post
Cool. What kind of setup do ya'll use. I've got an Ugly Stick (7' or 8' i think; need to respool it with some new 50 lb braid) that I was thinkin about using. Also, how difficult (expensive, time consuming) is it to get into shark fishing? Always wanted to chase the toothy monsters.
catch some mullet cut it up put it on a hook and soak it in the surf for awhile and im pretty sure youll get one theres tons out there ....and i NEVER use a stringer when fishing in the surf i use a basket or i try to beach the fish...ive had many encounters with sharks out there and some pretty nice size ones at that
Old 05-31-2012, 09:12 AM
Redfish

Cash: 1,707

We were using medium and medium light rods, 12 lb test. We did catch a couple of sharks by accident on plastic, not really trying to catch them. They do fight like beasts on light tackle with some spectacular jumps. They were small, like 2-3 feet. I guess if I was actually targeting sharks I would use live or dead bait, with a sturdy leader. Have fun.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shark2.jpg (73.5 KB, 674 views)
Old 05-31-2012, 09:41 AM
Flounder

Cash: 609

What are your thoughts on Saturday morning??? North wind Friday....
Old 05-31-2012, 10:14 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,457

Need a couple days of the N wind....but if you dont go you wont know. Worst case you can soak some cut bait for your Sharks or reds
Old 05-31-2012, 12:32 PM
King Mackeral

How far out you figure you've got to get a bait for a shark to take it. I don't have a kayak or anything, just wondering really. I eventually want to get into sharks, so i'm really trying to figure out what kind of money I need to put into it. I mean I see people with the harnesses and kayaks and all that good stuff. I'm not after a 10 ft shark, just some smaller 5 or 6 footers, something that would make a good profile pic . So would a good sturdy rod and tackle do the job?
Old 05-31-2012, 06:18 PM
Great White

Cash: 2,738

Thinking about making a trip myself.....how far is little florida from holly beach? Never fished there,just holly beach years ago.
Old 05-31-2012, 06:25 PM
The Camp Cook....

Cash: 13,826

Quote:
How far out you figure you've got to get a bait for a shark to take it. I don't have a kayak or anything, just wondering really. I eventually want to get into sharks, so i'm really trying to figure out what kind of money I need to put into it. I mean I see people with the harnesses and kayaks and all that good stuff. I'm not after a 10 ft shark, just some smaller 5 or 6 footers, something that would make a good profile pic . So would a good sturdy rod and tackle do the job?
A good sturdy rod n reel...wade out to your waist and cast it out and walk back to the beach. I have caught several sharks off the beach through the years.....
Old 05-31-2012, 08:03 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,461

Used to be able to catch lots of sharks, regulations now are strict. Think you can only keep one over 54" or something like that, which is a huge shark. I have caught tons at the beach but all under 3'. Got some nice ones at the rigs though.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2
Old 05-31-2012, 10:02 PM
Redfish

Cash: 780

Quote:
Originally Posted by specksNdaSURF View Post
catch some mullet cut it up put it on a hook and soak it in the surf for awhile and im pretty sure youll get one theres tons out there ....and i NEVER use a stringer when fishing in the surf i use a basket or i try to beach the fish...ive had many encounters with sharks out there and some pretty nice size ones at that
swam along side an 8 foot hammerhead two weeks ago as I made my way out to the rocks.... slapped him in the face w/ my rod tip and he swam off.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:55 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,535

Specklebuttchecks,

Did you swim out to the rocks when you saw the Hammerhead? How deep is? it out at the rocks and can you fish off of them?
Old 06-01-2012, 07:53 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,449

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeckleBUTTCHEEKS View Post
swam along side an 8 foot hammerhead two weeks ago as I made my way out to the rocks.... slapped him in the face w/ my rod tip and he swam off.
that scares the piss out of me! i had a dolphin give me a heart attack tuesday at the ship channel. Sucker was chasing something about waist deep and all i could see was the wake and the fin. It was coming straight at me and i took off running like a lil girl! then it came up and i could identify it, i had to sit down for 10 min before i could stand again. Scariest moment of my life, thought i was done
Old 06-01-2012, 08:09 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 9,560

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassAssasin View Post
that scares the piss out of me! i had a dolphin give me a heart attack tuesday at the ship channel. Sucker was chasing something about waist deep and all i could see was the wake and the fin. It was coming straight at me and i took off running like a lil girl! then it came up and i could identify it, i had to sit down for 10 min before i could stand again. Scariest moment of my life, thought i was done
I would have paid good money to see that :*****:
Old 06-01-2012, 04:07 PM
King Mackeral

Anyone got any idea what its supposed to look like down there this weekend? Got a bday party to go to for alittle while tomorrow afternoon, but was planning on heading down tomorrow night to fish the night and Sunday mornin. Any tips on what weather to look at? Just looked at weather channel forcast for johnsons bayou amd it shows E and S winds this weekend.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk
Old 06-01-2012, 04:14 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,609

Quote:
Anyone got any idea what its supposed to look like down there this weekend? Got a bday party to go to for alittle while tomorrow afternoon, but was planning on heading down tomorrow night to fish the night and Sunday mornin. Any tips on what weather to look at? Just looked at weather channel forcast for johnsons bayou amd it shows E and S winds this weekend.

Download the app WindFinder. If not you can to to windfinder.com..... But if your going to go no matter what then dont bother looking at the forecast because it dont look good. My buddy went this morning and caught 1. Said the water was very dirty.
Old 06-01-2012, 04:18 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armand16 View Post
Download the app WindFinder. If not you can to to windfinder.com..... But if your going to go no matter then dont bother looking at the forecast because it dont look good. My buddy went this morning and caught 1. Said the water was very dirty.
Well I've got other things I can do this weekend, but id rather be fishin if the weathers good. But all signs are pointing to not so good.

Old 06-01-2012, 05:59 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 9,560

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armand16 View Post
Download the app WindFinder. If not you can to to windfinder.com..... But if your going to go no matter what then dont bother looking at the forecast because it dont look good. My buddy went this morning and caught 1. Said the water was very dirty.
Thanks for that. Ive been looking for weather forecast apps for fishing.