SaltyCajun.com http://www.gclendingservices.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 08-17-2013, 08:48 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,007
Default -

Yes but isn't it ironic these marshes survived for hundreds of years with no "saving weir system". I agree a massive saltwater influx is of course not good for a marsh overall over an extended period of time but in this particular case that giant marsh system is a hatchery for shrimp and it is being cut off by a man made weir system.

No weir system on the east bank of Sabine, and those marshes look healthy to me. Shrimp all over that estuary right now, and you can ask any shrimper calcasieu is dried out. Any correlation maybe/maybe not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Butter View Post
I just listened to 3 solid hours of talks on freshwater diversions and it was very civil even though there was disagreement on a few things, mainly the cause of the land loss below Caernarvon. There were 2 oceanographers, 2 geologists, and a plant ecologist. Some pointed towards Hurrican Rita, some towards the diversion for the land loss. One of the take home points was that for every acre of dredged canal you lose 4-5 acres of marsh. One of the things that they all agreed upon was that saltwater is the worst thing that can happen to a marsh. There are different types of marshes, and they can all tolerate salinity differently but saltwater for long periods of time will kill it all. The poster child for this is Sabine NWR where Rita brought saltwater and kept it on the landscape for long periods of time. You can see it on Google Earth and any aerial photos that the land was lost and isn't coming back. THIS is what you get when you have saltwater come into a system for long periods of time.

The people that are 'benefitting' from keeping saltwater out of that marsh is everyone in Louisiana

Ask Vermilion Parish rice farmers about saltwater intrusion and what it does to crops (i.e. their livelihood)

widgeongrass can handle a little salinity also
Old 08-17-2013, 08:53 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 951

And the people that own land back there don't have to go to the weir to access that marsh so they can be back there having and the fish and shrimp to them self!!!
Old 08-17-2013, 08:53 AM
Ling

Cash: 3,167

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstulb View Post
Yes but isn't it ironic these marshes survived for hundreds of years with no "saving weir system". I agree a massive saltwater influx is of course not good for a marsh overall over an extended period of time but in this particular case that giant marsh system is a hatchery for shrimp and it is being cut off by a man made weir system.

No weir system on the east bank of Sabine, and those marshes look healthy to me. Shrimp all over that estuary right now, and you can ask any shrimper calcasieu is dried out. Any correlation maybe/maybe not.
The ship channel is the entire problem for saltwater intrusion. A straight north to south route is the easiest route for saltwater intrusion. The weirs were put in place to mitigate for this. The marshes to the west have not recovered from Rita, I mentioned that earlier and you can look at Google Earth and switch frames from year to year and see this. The shrimp are plentiful because they feed upon decaying vegetation and there isn't a shortage of that in Louisiana and will not be for the forseeable future
Old 08-17-2013, 08:59 AM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evans View Post
And the people that own land back there don't have to go to the weir to access that marsh so they can be back there having and the fish and shrimp to them self!!!
When those weirs open, the shrimp will be there for everyone and the fish as well. Saving marsh is MUCH greater than recreational shrimping. You can buy shrimp anywhere in S La and they are a renewable resource, marshland is hard to renew.

This is going to be a big fight in the near future, when fishing interests are fighting against the good of all. There are groups in SE LA that are fighting tooth and nail against proposed diversions to 'save their trout fisheries' All that land behind the weirs will probably be gone one day, may as well keep it around as long as possible, there will always be fish in the lake as someone just said the west side is chock full of shrimp
Old 08-17-2013, 10:48 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452

Quote:
When those weirs open, the shrimp will be there for everyone and the fish as well. Saving marsh is MUCH greater than recreational shrimping. You can buy shrimp anywhere in S La and they are a renewable resource, marshland is hard to renew.

This is going to be a big fight in the near future, when fishing interests are fighting against the good of all. There are groups in SE LA that are fighting tooth and nail against proposed diversions to 'save their trout fisheries' All that land behind the weirs will probably be gone one day, may as well keep it around as long as possible, there will always be fish in the lake as someone just said the west side is chock full of shrimp
I agree, but let me add that it is the short term fishing interests fighting against the long term good of all. Controlling salinity in the marsh is essential to maintaining a high level of fishing opportunity in the long term. There is no scientific debate here. The data is overwhelming and the science showing the disaster for long term fishing is extremely compelling.
Old 08-17-2013, 11:28 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,238

Quote:
Yes, were you there
Yeah, I cooked the catfish for the social.
Old 08-17-2013, 12:54 PM
Redfish

Cash: 1,188

I talked to the guy at hebert s collecting the landing fees ,..and btw he has opened a 5 star dinning experience extroidinaire there ,...soon coming..... pulled pork culinary delights sanwihiches ,..and will be opening an outdoor bar, perhaps another shooting and severe beating in the future...anyway, he said "Feds will mandate opening of the wiers on the 22nd"...and he knows everything, if u dont believe me just ask him...i think all weirs around the lake are closed...I was at hog bayou wier monday and it appeared to be closed and the other one too, further south
Old 08-17-2013, 01:08 PM
Redfish

Cash: 730

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunken clam View Post
I talked to the guy at hebert s collecting the landing fees ,..and btw he has opened a 5 star dinning experience extroidinaire there ,...soon coming..... pulled pork culinary delights sanwihiches ,..and will be opening an outdoor bar, perhaps another shooting and severe beating in the future...anyway, he said "Feds will mandate opening of the wiers on the 22nd"...and he knows everything, if u dont believe me just ask him...i think all weirs around the lake are closed...I was at hog bayou wier monday and it appeared to be closed and the other one too, further south
That guy is a Nazi for that five dollars. You can't even put it in park without him knocking on your window!!!
Old 08-17-2013, 01:38 PM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt coonassty View Post
Yeah, I cooked the catfish for the social.
I didn't stay for that, but ate some the next day, they was good mahn!

Were you wearing a visor by chance? We probably crossed paths at the coffee dispenser
Old 08-17-2013, 01:41 PM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathGeek View Post
I agree, but let me add that it is the short term fishing interests fighting against the long term good of all. Controlling salinity in the marsh is essential to maintaining a high level of fishing opportunity in the long term. There is no scientific debate here. The data is overwhelming and the science showing the disaster for long term fishing is extremely compelling.
Yep, and its gonna be a hard fight and one no one wants to fight but its going to come one of these days and more and more people are starting to make their living off the lake, its gonna get ugly

forgot some commas in there!
Old 08-17-2013, 01:48 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,948

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstulb View Post

Go look up all the past posts on this. I've been doing a lot of research on those marshes in the last 3 years, and a lot of that I point out in those posts.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I847 using Tapatalk 2
Old 08-17-2013, 01:51 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Those guys that own land behind the weirs probably belong to DU and/or CCA though

All that land is owned by large land companies. Very little owned by private land owners. I know both of the land managers that manage the land in Cameron-Creole.

Old 08-17-2013, 01:54 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

Interrupt mother nature harvest cycle

Install Weirs and control water..... mess us ecosystem and kill everything

Shrimp and fish cant just wait for mother of weirs to allow them to do there thing

Awesome!!! Save Wegiongrass
Old 08-17-2013, 01:56 PM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by "W" View Post
Interrupt mother nature harvest cycle

Install Weirs and control water..... mess us ecosystem and kill everything

Shrimp and fish cant just wait for mother of weirs to allow them to do there thing

Awesome!!! Save Wegiongrass

Interrupt mother nature by dredging a ship channel, see what I did there

Wigeongrass isn't going to be affected by a little salinity dubya
Old 08-17-2013, 01:58 PM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smalls View Post
All that land is owned by large land companies. Very little owned by private land owners. I know both of the land managers that manage the land in Cameron-Creole.

Are they CCA members

where you been man, there has been some great debates here lately. You can just google something and be an expert on any topic you wish
Old 08-17-2013, 01:59 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

Quote:
Interrupt mother nature by dredging a ship channel, see what I did there

Wigeongrass isn't going to be affected by a little salinity dubya
No weirs on West side of lake for the marshes?? Closer to ship channel

^^^^^^^^^^

See what I did there
Old 08-17-2013, 03:23 PM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by "W" View Post
No weirs on West side of lake for the marshes?? Closer to ship channel

^^^^^^^^^^

See what I did there
and they are not in the best shape either

You can see the eroding of the marsh firsthand, I am pretty sure you even mentioned the erosion at supercut, different but same yo
Old 08-17-2013, 03:29 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Are they CCA members

where you been man, there has been some great debates here lately. You can just google something and be an expert on any topic you wish
Busy getting work done and getting ready for the big move. I've been reading, but chose to pick my battles. Didn't feel like getting in to something I don't know a whole lot about.

Old 08-17-2013, 03:36 PM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smalls View Post
Busy getting work done and getting ready for the big move. I've been reading, but chose to pick my battles. Didn't feel like getting in to something I don't know a whole lot about.

Thats not the way around here, just google man the "W" method

Are you working private or public sector?
Old 08-17-2013, 03:51 PM
King Mackeral

Private. Its nice because its consulting, but its environmental, so I'm thinking of starting a wildlife consulting business on the side like I've always wanted to. May never get big, but I'll make a few extra bucks and get to do something I've always wanted to do.