SaltyCajun.com http://www.budnmarys.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 08-17-2013, 04:09 PM
Redfish

Cash: 832

Yeah smalls, and when you need an extra person in the know with wildlife to do some "ground truthing" and draw up some management plans you know who to call yeah?
Old 08-17-2013, 05:31 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,238

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Butter View Post
I didn't stay for that, but ate some the next day, they was good mahn!

Were you wearing a visor by chance? We probably crossed paths at the coffee dispenser
Yeah that was me. I remember a thread last year about a few guys from SC going. Should be there next year, stick around for the social man the beer is usually good.
Old 08-17-2013, 05:33 PM
Ling

Cash: 3,167

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt coonassty View Post
Yeah that was me. I remember a thread last year about a few guys from SC going. Should be there next year, stick around for the social man the beer is usually good.
Got to drive back is the problem
Old 08-18-2013, 10:49 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,948

Haha, funny guy there steelsetter.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I847 using Tapatalk 2
Old 08-18-2013, 01:13 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

Weirs will not open on the full moon as per Weir gate manager!!!

Keep killing off lake one full moon and new moon at a time!!

Unless we get 6inches of rain do not expect them to open and continue to kill of lake supply
Old 08-18-2013, 01:47 PM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by "W" View Post

Unless we get 6inches of rain do not expect them to open and continue to kill of lake supply
The sky is falling, the sky is falling

There is plenty of food in that lake, you have said so yourself that the ship channel is a 'buffet' Big trout primarily eat finfish, so you could actually put together an argument that the fishing for big trout will get better if one was so inclined
Old 08-18-2013, 02:12 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,563

Quote:

When will you learn that it's not about saving a lake that's not supposed to be so salty and hold all your precious trout in the first place. It's about saving the marsh!
Old 08-18-2013, 02:18 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by redaddiction View Post
When will you learn that it's not about saving a lake that's not supposed to be so salty and hold all your precious trout in the first place. It's about saving the marsh!
He wont.

Old 08-18-2013, 03:05 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Yea we saving a saltwater marsh....lmao

Again were are the weirs on the west side marsh? We need a weir just north of Heberts by pelican point to save that marsh also?

We need weirs at every marsh entrance off ship channel!!!

Save Wegiongrass
Old 08-18-2013, 03:21 PM
Ling

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Presentation1.jpg (94.2 KB, 189 views)
Old 08-18-2013, 03:25 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Yea we saving a saltwater marsh....lmao

Again were are the weirs on the west side marsh? We need a weir just north of Heberts by pelican point to save that marsh also?

We need weirs at every marsh entrance off ship channel!!!

Save Wegiongrass
We should call you "BW" for Brick Wall, because its like arguing with one. I've told you countless times "Oh great one who is as "W"ide as he is tall", that that Marsh was not, and is not, a saltwater Marsh. It is Brackish, so it cannot tolerate high salinities. Water from the lake gets in there and increases the salinity to lethal levels for those plants. I've personally recorded salinities behind the weirs at levels greater than gulf strength. Last I checked, the plants in that Marsh don't grow in the lake.

Stick to your fish "W"eir boy.

Old 08-18-2013, 03:45 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smalls View Post
We should call you "BW" for Brick Wall, because its like arguing with one. I've told you countless times "Oh great one who is as "W"ide as he is tall", that that Marsh was not, and is not, a saltwater Marsh. It is Brackish, so it cannot tolerate high salinities. Water from the lake gets in there and increases the salinity to lethal levels for those plants. I've personally recorded salinities behind the weirs at levels greater than gulf strength. Last I checked, the plants in that Marsh don't grow in the lake.

Stick to your fish "W"eir boy.

Can u show me paperwork that its a brackish marsh vs all the other marshes with out weirs

I love these super marsh engineers!!!
Old 08-18-2013, 04:08 PM
King Mackeral

Yeah, I can show you plenty of stuff that proves it is a brackish Marsh, based on plant species occurring there and typical salinity. They don't set those salinity limits for the hell of it. There is a science to it. Also majority of the Marsh on the west side is not salt Marsh, but brackish as well. Differences in hydrology and land formations prevent as great a salinity influx into that area. The west side is more influenced by Sabine than by the Calcasieu watershed.

I could show you plenty of documents and research over the past 30 years, but it wouldn't make a difference because the almighty "W" knows best.

Old 08-18-2013, 04:25 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,007

Funny how that marsh survived for hundreds of years with no weir system. Just don't see how you can argue that point..?

Believe W and I as well as a lot of others that saw what that lake looked like after Rita.
I can't prove it by any scientific numbers but when those levees were busted it was one of the largest influxes of trout I have seen in my life. The winter of 05 was one of the best I have fished besides 99&2001 monster trout and a lot of them. They are still there but the #'s just have not been steady the past few years
Old 08-18-2013, 04:29 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,007

And I have to ask what are the marshes south of WC classified as? And west of monkey island? And east of mud lake.? All these vast marshes are litterly miles from the gulf survive with no weir system to protect them. Are these brackish marshes.? Because there are pure salt year round.
Old 08-18-2013, 04:31 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Smalls can not justify why we are saving one marsh when every one on the west side has more tide flow, closer to channel?

Ask anyone who makes a living of this lake and has been here over 30 years...they are all against the weirs !!!

No person but a few like Duck BUTTer and Biggie Smalls want to blow smoke because there job is to blow smoke

You cut those weirs out and 100 more years of nothing changing but better fishing and healthier estuary

Thats a Fact Jack!!! As Stulb Said 2005-2006 best the lake has been in years

"Save the Weigongrass"
Old 08-18-2013, 04:33 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Only reason the weirs are closed is the same reason Jerry Jones is still cowboys head coach

Power Stroke to say " I can"
Old 08-18-2013, 04:41 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 460

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstulb View Post
Funny how that marsh survived for hundreds of years with no weir system. Just don't see how you can argue that point..?

Believe W and I as well as a lot of others that saw what that lake looked like after Rita.
I can't prove it by any scientific numbers but when those levees were busted it was one of the largest influxes of trout I have seen in my life. The winter of 05 was one of the best I have fished besides 99&2001 monster trout and a lot of them. They are still there but the #'s just have not been steady the past few years
The ship channel hasn't been dug for hundreds of years.
Old 08-18-2013, 04:46 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Damn near 75 years
Old 08-18-2013, 05:00 PM
Ling

Quote:
Smalls can not justify why we are saving one marsh when every one on the west side has more tide flow, closer to channel?

Ask anyone who makes a living of this lake and has been here over 30 years...they are all against the weirs !!!

No person but a few like Duck BUTTer and Biggie Smalls want to blow smoke because there job is to blow smoke

You cut those weirs out and 100 more years of nothing changing but better fishing and healthier estuary

Thats a Fact Jack!!! As Stulb Said 2005-2006 best the lake has been in years

"Save the Weigongrass"

You take out the wiers and you will kill that marsh, the shrimping will be great because the shrimp will have plenty of decaying vegetation to eat, the trout will have plenty of shrimp to eat for many many years, the duck hunting will go to crap because there is no food, it will be open water and mud, and you will never get it back.

The west side marsh IS NOT doing just fine by the way, look at it in different years on aerial photos. A wier (wiers) would help that area as well, and I wouldn't be surprised if some aren't in talks right now.

and as far as the 75 years comment, nothing happens overnight, that is a blink of an eye in geologic terms, and you can see the erosion caused by the ship channel simply by going to Google Earth. Its eroding land away every single day, and its not a government conspiracy or CCA or DU or Delta Waterfowl or in the interest of anyone or anything but SAVING marshland that benefits every single one of us

75 years ago we wouldn't be having this conversation, because you would have been bass fishing in Calcasieu Lake