SaltyCajun.com https://www.facebook.com/CajunTackle

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 04-26-2014, 09:25 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,948

Quote:
Originally Posted by hewes View Post
why does the refuge limit access to the public through grand bayou? I would love to see it opened every sat and sunday so people would have access to the resource the govt is protecting for the people. I live at heberts. when the weirs are open parking lot is full. I see boaters all the time drive to landing find out weirs are closed and their day is ruined
The primary objective of the NWR is to provide waterfowl habitat, not fisheries. If conditions are not favorable to proper management of that habitat, they are going to close the weirs.
Old 04-26-2014, 09:30 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 946

No offense to anyone, I don't know much about all this scientific data, but I do know how to fish. I have lived at Heberts for 10 years now full time. Im lucky to get to fish more than most. The fishing is really bad guys. This is directly tied to Weirs. And another thing that sucks is I have young kids like most of you. I don't fish back there much but It was nice to take the kids back there for some easy fishing and crabbing. There's another thing, so many families including mine have enjoyed the summers back behind the weirs crabbing, that's a thing of the past now. sucks.
Old 04-26-2014, 09:40 AM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by biglaketiger View Post
No offense to anyone, I don't know much about all this scientific data, but I do know how to fish. I have lived at Heberts for 10 years now full time. Im lucky to get to fish more than most. The fishing is really bad guys. This is directly tied to Weirs. And another thing that sucks is I have young kids like most of you. I don't fish back there much but It was nice to take the kids back there for some easy fishing and crabbing. There's another thing, so many families including mine have enjoyed the summers back behind the weirs crabbing, that's a thing of the past now. sucks.
If you don't know much about the scientific data, how can you be so sure its directly related to the weirs?

Not trying to be a jerk, just stating the obvious. Anyone can argue the weirs are the problem with ni evidence. I still stand by the fact that the reason crabs and shrimp have been so abundant behind the weirs is because they feed on dead vegetation. High salinities kill almost anything back there. Some of the CRMS stations put the average salinity at 12 to 15 ppt from March to November. That's a high average, and the salinity gets pretty high back there.

I understand people are frustrated with the management, but its not just one contributing factor.
Old 04-26-2014, 09:43 AM
Flounder

Cash: 712

if the weir has to be closed make a boat lift to give the public access to the marsh. I have seen many days boat bay closed and gates open letting water into the marsh. no one can explain that one. the reason being they don't want the public back there.
Old 04-26-2014, 09:46 AM
Trophy Trout

I say it is because of in the field experience, my family has roots on the island here. I spent summers out here as a kid. All I know is when the weirs are open and the water is flowing in and out the fishing is great, when it's locked up tight the fishing declines dramatically. That's all I know...
Old 04-26-2014, 09:51 AM
King Mackeral

Quote:
I say it is because of in the field experience, my family has roots on the island here. I spent summers out here as a kid. All I know is when the weirs are open and the water is flowing in and out the fishing is great, when it's locked up tight the fishing declines dramatically. That's all I know...
That is probably because all of the bait species being funneled through certain locations. If the weirs and levee had never been put there, the fishing probably wouldn't be that good because you wouldn't have mass movements of multiple species at one time.

Hewes, As far as the boat bay, I don't know about that. Is it just at a certain time of year that it is closed, or are you talking about at different times it will be closed and other times open. I know they close it for a period when duck season opens.
Old 04-26-2014, 09:52 AM
Trophy Trout

Like today, the wife says hey lets take the kids behind the weirs and see if we can get some crabs to boil tonight, nope, can't go hun, no fun,
Old 04-26-2014, 09:53 AM
Trophy Trout

Smalls the gates are Closed majority of the time now. If it's closed now it will be closed most of the summer when the Lake gets the most salinity.
Old 04-26-2014, 09:56 AM
Trophy Trout

Default ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smalls View Post
That is probably because all of the bait species being funneled through certain locations. If the weirs and levee had never been put there, the fishing probably wouldn't be that good because you wouldn't have mass movements of multiple species at one time.

Hewes, As far as the boat bay, I don't know about that. Is it just at a certain time of year that it is closed, or are you talking about at different times it will be closed and other times open. I know they close it for a period when duck season opens.
I know that's the reason the fishing is good or bad depending on the weirs, bait equals fish, simple...No one here doesn't know that. That's what we are all complaining about
Old 04-26-2014, 09:57 AM
Flounder

no sir I have seen it at different time of the year boat bay closed and gates open. it was done in the spring, summer and fall. I would call to complain and nothing would change. why doesn't the refuge build a walkway and dock for people to crab and fish on the inside? why does the refuge have to be closed when boat bay is closed?
Old 04-26-2014, 10:07 AM
King Mackeral

I decided a long time ago that there was no convincing anyone of the importance of the weirs, because people only want to look at the fish and what they do. That is not the purpose of the weirs. But people will always say they don't see anything wrong with the marsh, it looks fine.

I've never said I agree with how they have been operated, only that they are now needed to maintain the marsh. I don't know how to convince anyone of that when everyone wants to believe there is no problem, except that fishing is not good when the weirs are closed.
Old 04-26-2014, 10:17 AM
Flounder

all im asking for is access to the refuge.
Old 04-26-2014, 10:39 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,087

Quote:
Originally Posted by hewes View Post
all im asking for is access to the refuge.

I agree this is a management of access issue recreational shrimping is being strangled out over the years used to be able to grab a cast net and shrimp anywhere over the years they have kept reducing it

First the nature trail well they wanted a tourist spot with no shrimpers

Second north line that's for crabbers they said

Third hog island shrimpers are trashing it up

Then all road sides

The blue crab

So people got boats to shrimp in refuge now no boat parking in the opening by bridge ( where shrimp are)

So now the weirs one week before they meet on shrimping season

And Smalls yes I do know what shrimp eat appreciate the effort there as well as your attempt to belittle everyone having a discussion on this civilly yet you are not even aware of what they are opening or closing this goes a lot deeper than making sure we have ducks for the hunters it's about total management of the ecosystem not just one group of animal in ecosystem
Old 04-26-2014, 10:57 AM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cripley View Post
I agree this is a management of access issue recreational shrimping is being strangled out over the years used to be able to grab a cast net and shrimp anywhere over the years they have kept reducing it

First the nature trail well they wanted a tourist spot with no shrimpers

Second north line that's for crabbers they said

Third hog island shrimpers are trashing it up

Then all road sides

The blue crab

So people got boats to shrimp in refuge now no boat parking in the opening by bridge ( where shrimp are)

So now the weirs one week before they meet on shrimping season

And Smalls yes I do know what shrimp eat appreciate the effort there as well as your attempt to belittle everyone having a discussion on this civilly yet you are not even aware of what they are opening or closing this goes a lot deeper than making sure we have ducks for the hunters it's about total management of the ecosystem not just one group of animal in ecosystem
Dude, you haven't been here long enough to know what I stand for. I've been making that argument for over a year now. I know all about the ecosystem approach, I've been the one arguing that here. Ask W, me and him have been going at it over the weirs for a long time now.

I conducted research and worked in that marsh, and all the marshes in Cal/Cam for 2.5 years. I was not trying to belittle anyone, merely pointing out what many apparently neglect.
Old 04-26-2014, 11:03 AM
Tripletail

I have not been on here long enough to see you belittling me as well as calling math geek out that not a time issue I have no problem with what you stand for or my lack of knowledge of what you stand for I am posting my thought and so are you I have not directly belittled your thought only stated my thoughts I want access to be able to shrimp I joined this forum as a means to gain knowledge as well as share thoughts. I didn't know I had to be on here for a time frame before I was entitled to that.
Old 04-26-2014, 11:15 AM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cripley View Post
I have not been on here long enough to see you belittling me as well as calling math geek out that not a time issue I have no problem with what you stand for or my lack of knowledge of what you stand for I am posting my thought and so are you I have not directly belittled your thought only stated my thoughts I want access to be able to shrimp I joined this forum as a means to gain knowledge as well as share thoughts. I didn't know I had to be on here for a time frame before I was entitled to that.
Man, what got your boxers in a bunch? I was never belittling you. All I meant was you were not on here a year ago when just about everyone under the moon was calling what I was saying a lie and calling me a "duckgrass supporter".

Me and MG know each other, we've stood on the same side of many issues, and we've been on opposite sides as well. We are both scientists that value facts over biased opinions with no grounding. I was not "calling him out" as you say, merely pointing out an apparent inconsistency I saw. I may not always agree with him, but I respect what he does, and have even assisted him on some of this research he is talking about.
Old 04-26-2014, 11:38 AM
Redfish

Cash: 542

What did Mother Nature do before placement of weirs? Seams kind of like this global warming crap. Let's scare the sheepeople into thinking what we want them to. In my opinion a weir is sort of like blocking a canal that they want to keep people out of due to big money private water BS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-26-2014, 11:42 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,090

Quote:
Would completely removing the weirs solve the fishing/crabbing problem?
Old 04-26-2014, 11:48 AM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorsman View Post
What did Mother Nature do before placement of weirs? Seams kind of like this global warming crap. Let's scare the sheepeople into thinking what we want them to. In my opinion a weir is sort of like blocking a canal that they want to keep people out of due to big money private water BS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nothing. The problems behind the weirs are not natural. The dredging of the ship channel introduced saltwater into the system. That marsh could not tolerate the increase in salinity, and it was dying. That is precisely the reason for the weirs.

Removing the weirs would create a temporary increase in shrimp and crab numbers, but inevitably the marsh would die and you would have one large lake.
Old 04-26-2014, 11:50 AM
Tripletail

Smalls I was on here last year when the weirs were closed it was one of the reasons I joined. If I misunderstood you I apologize. I appreciate your opinion and would enjoy continuing to receive information both sides.