SaltyCajun.com http://www.matrixshad.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 07-11-2014, 03:54 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunGuy View Post
From what Leighann showed at the meeting the entire Calcasieu-Sabine basin lost land during the bad years, but 50% of the land loss occurred in the Cameron Creole watershed. It is the most vulnerable place in the entire basin and that is why it has the extra measures to protect it.
Right. But the question has been raised in the past regarding why the Cameron Creole watershed is more vulnerable than the region between Big Lake and Sabine.

1. That soil in that region started lower to begin with (1900ish).
2. The level of fresh water flowing in from the other side to counter act the salt flow from Big Lake is lower.
3. The soil in Cameron Creole is subsiding (sinking) faster than other areas in the Calcasieu/Sabine basin.
4. These factors gave saltwater intrusion a big head start from the 1930s to the 1980s and land losses tend to accelerate once they have begun unless the salt is effectively stopped.

Leigh Anne Sharp's presentation contained a lot of important information, and I am disappointed that so many anglers are so focused on their personal short term objectives that they are not taking the time or making the effort to consider this quality information. Perhaps it conflicts with some pre-existing biases.

In any case, good management means making use of the best available data driven science for the balanced interests of all stakeholders. From all I can tell, the current weir management is very close to accomplishing this.

Last edited by MathGeek; 07-11-2014 at 04:49 PM.
Old 07-11-2014, 04:48 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 504

Thanks, MathGeek. I thought both slide shows were eye opening. Love that place and I want more access too, but I can wait instead of killing it all off. Scary what they showed us.
Old 07-11-2014, 05:07 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,193

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathGeek View Post
I guess you missed my attempt to return the humor. Let me try again:

My identical twin brother used to deliver pizzas to some of BR's ethnic neighborhoods. On one occasion, a couple local gentleman blocked his path and said, "We don't like white boys comin' round here."

My brother smiled, put his hand on the grip of his Glock, and replied, "Who you callin' WHITE?"

They got out of his way in a hurry.
I love the look on their faces when they see you grip your sidearm. The back peddling can be pretty dramatic and almost comical at times. Its like when you tie your dog up for the first time and he runs until he gets to the end of the cable and is snatched backwards.
Old 07-11-2014, 06:28 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,569

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405121255.779466.jpg
Leaving weirs now..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-11-2014, 06:47 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,193

Nice box bro. Get da grease hot
Old 07-13-2014, 07:15 PM
Redfish

Cash: 1,091

Quote:
Right. But the question has been raised in the past regarding why the Cameron Creole watershed is more vulnerable than the region between Big Lake and Sabine.

1. That soil in that region started lower to begin with (1900ish).
2. The level of fresh water flowing in from the other side to counter act the salt flow from Big Lake is lower.
3. The soil in Cameron Creole is subsiding (sinking) faster than other areas in the Calcasieu/Sabine basin.
4. These factors gave saltwater intrusion a big head start from the 1930s to the 1980s and land losses tend to accelerate once they have begun unless the salt is effectively stopped.

Leigh Anne Sharp's presentation contained a lot of important information, and I am disappointed that so many anglers are so focused on their personal short term objectives that they are not taking the time or making the effort to consider this quality information. Perhaps it conflicts with some pre-existing biases.

In any case, good management means making use of the best available data driven science for the balanced interests of all stakeholders. From all I can tell, the current weir management is very close to accomplishing this.
Sabine lake also has a lot more fresh water flowing into it. Sabine river is larger than Calcasieu plus you have the Neches river flowing into it as well.
Old 07-13-2014, 07:23 PM
Redfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by "W" View Post
We just did not lose all that marsh because of the levee breaks we also just had a 22ft tidal surge 2 out of 5 years

That's what caused the marsh loss pure gulf water and 100mph winds
If the land loss was strictly because of storm surge and hurricane winds, the subsidence should have stopped after the last hurricane (Ike) impacted the area, I can promise you it didn't stop then. The amount of land loss I've watched back there year of year without the influence of hurricanes is shocking and depressing.
Old 07-13-2014, 08:00 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

For those that are not familiar with Big Lake and the erosion in the Washout and 9 mile Cut area, here is a map.

From the lower land to the upper land is now 3.5 miles wide. There is only one small island located in the center of the picture.

I started fishing Big Lake regularity about 16 years ago. Back then this area was probably more that half closed of with island [land].

Also the North and South cuts going into West Cove have greatly increased in size. Back 16 years ago, these cuts were about 100 yards wide. Not the South cut is 400 yards and the North cut is 600 yards wide.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Washout & 9 mile cut.jpg (43.9 KB, 125 views)
Old 07-13-2014, 10:14 PM
Redfish

Cash: -1,658

14 pages and W is still an idiot.
Old 07-14-2014, 05:44 AM
King Mackeral

I think everyone learned a great deal from the meeting, from the posted presentations, and from the subsequent discussions. We should strive to be civil as remaining differences in viewpoint are discussed.
Old 07-14-2014, 06:47 AM
Redfish

Quote:
I think everyone learned a great deal from the meeting, from the posted presentations, and from the subsequent discussions. We should strive to be civil as remaining differences in viewpoint are discussed.
Agreed. Disagree without being disagreeable. MathGeek, am I remembering correctly that in another post you stated that sampling is showing that trout stocks in B.L. are just fine, and perhaps even comparable to historic levels that the fish have just changed patterns, or did I just imagine that?
Old 07-14-2014, 07:00 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,347

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405338968.535483.jpg
The one time this year I'll be able to catch shrimp. Weirs coincidentally are open. Really low ride in the lake and the water was still rushing in to the dry marsh behind the weirs. It would have to rain another 5 foot to make the water level come up back there. Or they could open it up on a high tide ;-). ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405339130.635701.jpg so many people there, twice as many behind me and even more just 100 yards down.

Had a great day.

Old 07-14-2014, 07:04 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,569

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckingFastard View Post
Attachment 71222
The one time this year I'll be able to catch shrimp. Weirs coincidentally are open. Really low ride in the lake and the water was still rushing in to the dry marsh behind the weirs. It would have to rain another 5 foot to make the water level come up back there. Or they could open it up on a high tide ;-). Attachment 71223 so many people there, twice as many behind me and even more just 100 yards down.

Had a great day.

nice shrimp.... take long to catch them??
Old 07-14-2014, 07:05 AM
Red Snapper

Well I forgot to bring my big net so I only had a small one. Took about an hour.

Last edited by BuckingFastard; 07-14-2014 at 07:16 AM. Reason: spelling mistakes
Old 07-14-2014, 07:07 AM
Red Snapper

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405339603.550083.jpg

Old 07-14-2014, 07:28 AM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by redchaserron View Post
Agreed. Disagree without being disagreeable. MathGeek, am I remembering correctly that in another post you stated that sampling is showing that trout stocks in B.L. are just fine, and perhaps even comparable to historic levels that the fish have just changed patterns, or did I just imagine that?
That's pretty much the assessment we've reached from the available information which includes our creel survey data from the past four years, reports from guides and people who fish lake regularly, and university studies. Of course, we don't have access to the LDWF stock assessment data, but Harry Blanchet seemed to be hinting that the same thing in last wee's meeting.
Old 07-14-2014, 08:44 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,454

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald View Post
For those that are not familiar with Big Lake and the erosion in the Washout and 9 mile Cut area, here is a map.

From the lower land to the upper land is now 3.5 miles wide. There is only one small island located in the center of the picture.

I started fishing Big Lake regularity about 16 years ago. Back then this area was probably more that half closed of with island [land].

Also the North and South cuts going into West Cove have greatly increased in size. Back 16 years ago, these cuts were about 100 yards wide. Not the South cut is 400 yards and the North cut is 600 yards wide.
Gerald... I did a side by side on the historical map on Google Earth
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Washout Comparison.jpg (121.4 KB, 67 views)
Old 07-14-2014, 09:00 AM
Ling

Cash: 505

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggoh View Post
Gerald... I did a side by side on the historical map on Google Earth

WOW
Old 07-14-2014, 09:02 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,454

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassYakR View Post
WOW
This is only 1 part of the channel... and only a 15 year period
Old 07-14-2014, 09:03 AM
Ling

Cash: 505

yeah ive looked at this on google earth goin back to the older dates. its crazy how much land we loose.