SaltyCajun.com http://www.gator-tail.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 02-06-2011, 08:02 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,488
Default Another Acadia Parish Boar!

Had a very late start yesterday, and after losing one of our best dogs during the week, we weren't sure what was going to happen. A farm we have been hunting for a long time has been giving us trouble since the hogs were so educated and would give us the slip. Well, we got granted some new territory and got a plan together. Hit them from two sides of a gully that always caused us problems!

It worked, had several bays going at one time after jumping a group of about 30 hogs. Had the son of the dog that was lost this past week step up and shut one down, then my other Jag hooked up with 2 Plotts and ran this boar to the point he had nothing left to do but back up to a fallen log and stand his ground! His ground wasn't big enough!!!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Habetz boar.jpg (108.5 KB, 450 views)
Old 02-06-2011, 08:21 PM
BIG MOUTH BASS!

Cash: 5,913

its amazing that a dog that is out weighed 2 or 3 times and has smaller teeth can stop those hogs and hold em down.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:29 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPfishnTIM View Post
its amazing that a dog that is out weighed 2 or 3 times and has smaller teeth can stop those hogs and hold em down.
Well they don't technically "hold them down", they run them till they can put their teeth on their back side, which makes the hog stop to turn and fight what is getting his butt. Then they sit there and bark at him turning him in circles, or making him retreat his back in to a log or water, where he can make a stand. This guy was there an hour before we got to him. Once we get there, the hair flies with catch dog and humane kills. When the dogs get to brave they get dead!
Old 02-06-2011, 08:44 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,749

where at yall runnin at fin, they got some guys that run dogs in egan and Iota pretty regular
Old 02-06-2011, 08:48 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jldsc View Post
where at yall runnin at fin, they got some guys that run dogs in egan and Iota pretty regular
I run with those guys also. Kim Crochet and Bobby B have some of the best dogs in the state....and I am not just talking smack, those men can back up everything you can imagine! Have been fortunate to see some incredible dog work w/ those guys!

This was in Roberts Cove.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:52 PM
Red Snapper

I know Kim real well, my buddy BJ Gatte runs with them sometimes, I havent had the chance to go out with them yet but they have offered on numerous occasions.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:03 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
I know Kim real well, my buddy BJ Gatte runs with them sometimes, I havent had the chance to go out with them yet but they have offered on numerous occasions.
BJ came with them to my place last month and we caught 2 before 10pm, took us another 1.5 hours to get out the woods! LMAO!!!

He is a good guy and we will be hunting some more before rice planting gets here! Maybe we will meet up sometime!
Old 02-06-2011, 09:06 PM
Red Snapper

Yea maybe, I visited with him this last time I was home, he told me about that gettin turned around....Id like to go one time B said its a rush when the dogs get on 'em
Old 02-06-2011, 09:19 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Yea maybe, I visited with him this last time I was home, he told me about that gettin turned around....Id like to go one time B said its a rush when the dogs get on 'em
That's understatement!!!
Old 02-07-2011, 03:24 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,445

Quote:
is BJ Josh's brother?
Old 02-07-2011, 07:06 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,618

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finfeatherfur View Post
Had a very late start yesterday, and after losing one of our best dogs during the week, we weren't sure what was going to happen. A farm we have been hunting for a long time has been giving us trouble since the hogs were so educated and would give us the slip. Well, we got granted some new territory and got a plan together. Hit them from two sides of a gully that always caused us problems!

It worked, had several bays going at one time after jumping a group of about 30 hogs. Had the son of the dog that was lost this past week step up and shut one down, then my other Jag hooked up with 2 Plotts and ran this boar to the point he had nothing left to do but back up to a fallen log and stand his ground! His ground wasn't big enough!!!!!!

FFF, when I showed my son this picture he said dad, next time we are going with them! I said ok, but you are gonna have to pass Mr. Brian's tree climbing class first! Boy, did he laugh!
Old 02-08-2011, 07:44 AM
King Mackeral

Thanks for the hospitality sir! We appreciated the chance to hunt, as you saw, it's about getting kids in the outdoors. I'll let Andrew stick one with a knife then he can be like the old Indians of LA! That would be a story for his classmates!

Bet he didn't know that the LA state dog is the Catahoula which was used by the Indians to catch pigs the Spanish brought over! All this damage is done by those crazy explorers from hundreds of years ago!
Old 02-08-2011, 08:14 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,071

I agree they just want to teach black history month nothing how
We survived in the swamps where no one wanted to live
Old 02-08-2011, 09:17 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,065

Quote:
I run with those guys also. Kim Crochet and Bobby B have some of the best dogs in the state....and I am not just talking smack, those men can back up everything you can imagine! Have been fortunate to see some incredible dog work w/ those guys!

I think you guys were hunting the woods right next to my house.....Was this off of La. 98 or Hwy. 1111? I asked one of the Habetz permission to dove hunt on their land one time and I got "The slip". They are still pretty nice people.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:50 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,445

Quote:
Originally Posted by duck enticer View Post
I think you guys were hunting the woods right next to my house.....Was this off of La. 98 or Hwy. 1111? I asked one of the Habetz permission to dove hunt on their land one time and I got "The slip". They are still pretty nice people.
that is my brother in laws families propety, it normally holds a few birds, not as many as it use to have.
Old 02-08-2011, 01:31 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 983

Quote:
I run with those guys also.
Quote:
Kim Crochet
and Bobby B have some of the best dogs in the state....and I am not just talking smack, those men can back up everything you can imagine! Have been fortunate to see some incredible dog work w/ those guys!

Sounds like folks close to our roots in Gott Cove! My dad grew up with the Crochets and was best friends with Tippy Crochet. I believe Kim or his twin brother has a commercial sign business. They installed a sign at our church and serviced it for a while.
Old 02-08-2011, 02:01 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,065

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenrod View Post
that is my brother in laws families propety, it normally holds a few birds, not as many as it use to have.
The piece I am talking about that normally gets some doves is on the East side of the Junction of Holland Rd. and Hwy. 1111. Where the Electric Substation is. Birds get on those Transmission lines like crazy sometimes.

I live about 1/4 mile as a crow flies from Holland Road.
Old 02-08-2011, 05:33 PM
Red Snapper

[QUOTE=goldenrod;226380]is BJ Josh's brother?[/QUOTE
Yea thats josh's brother, they from gottes cove
Old 02-08-2011, 09:41 PM
King Mackeral

[quote=jldsc;226677]
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenrod View Post
is BJ Josh's brother?[/QUOTE
Yea thats josh's brother, they from gottes cove
Went work a dog at Kim's house tonight. Good people!
Old 02-09-2011, 08:46 AM
Red Snapper

[quote=Finfeatherfur;226713]
Quote:

Went work a dog at Kim's house tonight. Good people!
Yea, lots of good people in that area, I grew up across the road from Gottes Cove, My dad and I did almost all of the water wells in that area..they have some very nice folks in that area...