SaltyCajun.com http://www.jerrys-marine.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 09-18-2015, 06:24 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 556
Default how do they get away with this?

Most of you don't know me and less know that my wife is handicapped.
She doesn't have to use a wheel chair all the time but does if there is a lot of walking or climbing.
I tried to find a room for us and her fur baby in grand isle for a week in October.
The only place i could find that takes pets is 20+ off the ground and she can't handle the steps . only place that is low to the ground doesn't take pets. It is still not wheel chair accessible.
there are a couple of places that have ramps but the way i see it they don't meet ADA standards. The person in the chair can not use them w/o someone to help them.
There is NO MOTEL on the island that has elevators.
How does a whole town get away with not meeting ADA standards?
When they rebuilt all the dunes on the front of the island they used federal dollars and had to put in handicapped parking and access to the beach. But there is no access to any of the hotels?
I am not a sue happy person but i could have one hell of a law suit that they cold not defend.
I enjoy going to the island and if i sued i would never be able to go back. my name would be flagged and if i showed up they would have me in jail for something?
I guess it's this way in every fishing area as i have never seen access at any of the rental property's
Old 09-18-2015, 06:57 PM
Ling

Cash: 1,338

Why is that island exempt to everything else that the known world is subject to? Like drinking and driving, kids driving golf carts and four wheelers on the highway, orgies in public. It's like once you cross that bridge laws cease to exist. I love that place but the laissez fair mentality down there has certainly brought the quality down and the trash in.
Old 09-18-2015, 08:56 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,563

Tha ADA laws don't say that they HAVE TO provide access. It is only within reason financially.

It would take a hell of a lot of ramp to get 20 feet up in the air. I know it sucks for your wife. But you gotta look at bother sides of the problem.

I say if the government makes the law they should help business owners pay for it.
Old 09-18-2015, 10:12 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,411

Eman I feel for you I understand your frustration but I don't really see the logic in your reasoning. The camps are privately owned; it's the owners choice to provide handicap access. I can understand your argument if the destination was a public place like a State Park which receives tax $$, but these are private businesses.

Leave the doggy at the kennel and rent a cabin with ADA accommodations.

I wish you and your wife the best and hope y'all find a good rental.
Old 09-19-2015, 08:56 AM
Swordfish

i am talking about hotels .Not private camps. Every hotel Has to meet fire codes and ADA standards anywhere else?
Old 09-19-2015, 09:26 AM
Sand Trout

Cash: 402

From the ADA .gov site:

If an area of my store is reachable only by a flight of steps, would I be required to add an elevator?

Usually no. A public accommodation generally would not be required to remove a barrier to physical access posed by a flight of steps, if removal would require extensive ramping or an elevator. The readily achievable standard does not require barrier removal that requires burdensome expense. Thus, where it is not readily achievable to do so, the ADA would not require a public accommodation to provide access to an area reachable only by a flight of stairs.
Old 09-19-2015, 09:45 AM
Swordfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishing4 fun View Post
From the ADA .gov site:

If an area of my store is reachable only by a flight of steps, would I be required to add an elevator?

Usually no. A public accommodation generally would not be required to remove a barrier to physical access posed by a flight of steps, if removal would require extensive ramping or an elevator. The readily achievable standard does not require barrier removal that requires burdensome expense. Thus, where it is not readily achievable to do so, the ADA would not require a public accommodation to provide access to an area reachable only by a flight of stairs.
Stores and places of lodging are 2 different sections. But i did find a few answers.
Old 09-19-2015, 09:49 AM
Swordfish

I think i found out how they get by .
Lodging built before 1993 is not required to meet 2011 standards.
Any new motels must meet these standards,
The motels on G.I. have only been "remodeled and repaired" after the storms.
Therefore they were all "built" before 1993.
Old 09-19-2015, 11:50 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,802

I think a big part of meeting the "burdensome expense" part for the exemption at least for the "off ground" places is the flood height above ground rules on buildings which would necessitate an elevator which might cost $10-$20k or more. but the ground level places and such should be forced to provide disabled access to them.

the pets thing, well lots of places don't allow pets so that's a whole other issue.

its sad they don't have more of an effort to cater to those with difficulties weather just by injury or permanent conditions.
Old 09-21-2015, 08:04 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,503

so there are places to rent that are wheelchair accessible but you can't bring the dog? leave the damn dog with a friend. can't be that picky. grand isle isnt a big resort.
Old 09-21-2015, 09:17 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,193

My wife asked me to stay out of this but I can't. Leave the dog home. Private business owners should never be regulated to meet the needs of anyone. Go somewhere else if it doesn't suit you. I understand public buildings having such rules but not private business. Our shop is like our house. You are there because I allow it. That can change in a moment.
Old 09-21-2015, 10:59 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452

It isn't Grand Isle, but the Bobby Lynn's had an impressive wheelchair ramp the last time we stayed there. (My wife notices these things because her dad was in a wheelchair). I think they are called Top Water Marina now. I bet they still have the ramp.
Old 09-22-2015, 06:36 AM
Swordfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by flounder_smacker View Post
so there are places to rent that are wheelchair accessible but you can't bring the dog? leave the damn dog with a friend. can't be that picky. grand isle isnt a big resort.
no there are no places wheel chair accessible just 4 feet off the ground instead of 20 feet.
Old 09-22-2015, 08:12 AM
Flounder

Cash: 583

Quote:
Originally Posted by eman View Post
Most of you don't know me and less know that my wife is handicapped.
She doesn't have to use a wheel chair all the time but does if there is a lot of walking or climbing.
I tried to find a room for us and her fur baby in grand isle for a week in October.
The only place i could find that takes pets is 20+ off the ground and she can't handle the steps . only place that is low to the ground doesn't take pets. It is still not wheel chair accessible.
there are a couple of places that have ramps but the way i see it they don't meet ADA standards. The person in the chair can not use them w/o someone to help them.
There is NO MOTEL on the island that has elevators.
How does a whole town get away with not meeting ADA standards?
When they rebuilt all the dunes on the front of the island they used federal dollars and had to put in handicapped parking and access to the beach. But there is no access to any of the hotels?
I am not a sue happy person but i could have one hell of a law suit that they cold not defend.
I enjoy going to the island and if i sued i would never be able to go back. my name would be flagged and if i showed up they would have me in jail for something?
I guess it's this way in every fishing area as i have never seen access at any of the rental property's
There is a similar suit going on in Lafayette right now. There are certain loopholes that allow business owners to be exempted from the ADA standards:

According to Title III of the ADA older businesses are not necessarily grandfathered in. They must remove barriers for customers with disabilities when “readily achievable” — that is, “able to be carried out without much difficulty or expense,” according to the law. Now that being said, Im pretty sure that any new construction that took place should be in compliance with ADA law.

Edit: As much as I didnt want to address some of the comments on here... private businesses arent private businesses as you think they are when they cater to the public. Ill just leave it at that because Im sure there are many hard felt opinions about how DA GUBMIT shouldnt be able to regulate "private" businesses but the fact is that businesses who deal with the public are held to a different set of standards. Just like you cant discriminate on who you serve based on their religion, race, nationality and other things, there are certain laws that are made to accommodate handicap patrons should they decide to frequent the establishment. Im sure many would feel different if they had a member of their family who was handicap.
Old 09-22-2015, 08:18 AM
Flounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckman1911 View Post
My wife asked me to stay out of this but I can't. Leave the dog home. Private business owners should never be regulated to meet the needs of anyone. Go somewhere else if it doesn't suit you. I understand public buildings having such rules but not private business. Our shop is like our house. You are there because I allow it. That can change in a moment.
What kind of shop? Im just curious to know if you serve members of the public or if its more business to business type dealings.
Old 09-22-2015, 10:17 AM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjleger337 View Post
What kind of shop? Im just curious to know if you serve members of the public or if its more business to business type dealings.
And the bait has been set ...
Old 09-22-2015, 10:25 AM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Edit: As much as I didnt want to address some of the comments on here... private businesses arent private businesses as you think they are when they cater to the public. Ill just leave it at that because Im sure there are many hard felt opinions about how DA GUBMIT shouldnt be able to regulate "private" businesses but the fact is that businesses who deal with the public are held to a different set of standards. Just like you cant discriminate on who you serve based on their religion, race, nationality and other things, there are certain laws that are made to accommodate handicap patrons should they decide to frequent the establishment. Im sure many would feel different if they had a member of their family who was handicap.
Not really. My wife's dad was in a wheelchair for over 40 years. Working his wheelchair up and down stairs was a frequent occurance for family members. I don't recall any family members ever saying that every business needed to spend thousands (or tens of thousands) of dollars on ADA compliant handicapped ramps in cases where they would seldom be used.

I've spent a lot of time at Bridgeside Marina and Bobby Lynns Marina. Both went through the expense and effort of installing ramps. I've never seen a single handicapped person using those ramps. It does not make sense to me for the government to force business owners to accomodate potential customers when the expected usage is a relatively rare event. This is even more true when other federal regulations (flood insurance and loan regulations) require the bottom floor of buildings to be 15-20 ft above grade. Requiring a 4 ft ramp so handicapped patrons can get into a restaurant is one thing, requiring 20 ft ramps so they can get into most businesses in a place like Grand Isle is absurd.
Old 09-22-2015, 10:34 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,193

Quote:
The public. Now before you go off let me explain. The free market is a great thing. Not being handicap friendly is not a good business decision but it is a decision that should be left to the business owner. It should not be forced on a business. People can refuse to do business with you. Then you loose money but it's your choice and should be. A business can't cry discrimination because a person doesn't do business with them so why should it be different if a business refuses to do business with a particular person or group? Spend money with places that support you. Free market.
Old 09-22-2015, 11:18 AM
Flounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckman1911 View Post
The public. Now before you go off let me explain. The free market is a great thing. Not being handicap friendly is not a good business decision but it is a decision that should be left to the business owner. It should not be forced on a business. People can refuse to do business with you. Then you loose money but it's your choice and should be. A business can't cry discrimination because a person doesn't do business with them so why should it be different if a business refuses to do business with a particular person or group? Spend money with places that support you. Free market.
Sorry we cant just see eye to eye on this one. Certain classes need protection from this kind of thinking otherwise, there would be no handicap accessible accommodations anywhere and it would be ok for people to turn away from doing business with someone because they are a different color or have a different religion than you. Thats not right, and not the right of a business that serves the public to interject their personal beliefs into the company.

Its kinda like those "we have the right to refuse service to anyone" signs....except you dont... because when someone opens their doors to the public they are held to a completely different standard of civil codes that restrict them from applying their own racism, prejudice, discrimination, etc through their company.

No hard feelings and I know I have an unpopular opinion of this matter in Louisiana because Ive debated this issue before.
Old 09-22-2015, 11:32 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,563

Quote:
Sorry we cant just see eye to eye on this one. Certain classes need protection from this kind of thinking otherwise, there would be no handicap accessible accommodations anywhere and it would be ok for people to turn away from doing business with someone because they are a different color or have a different religion than you. Thats not right, and not the right of a business that serves the public to interject their personal beliefs into the company.

Its kinda like those "we have the right to refuse service to anyone" signs....except you dont... because when someone opens their doors to the public they are held to a completely different standard of civil codes that restrict them from applying their own racism, prejudice, discrimination, etc through their company.

No hard feelings and I know I have an unpopular opinion of this matter in Louisiana because Ive debated this issue before.

Your examples are wrong. A business doesn't have to spend thousands of dollars to accommodate for race and religion. But for handicap they do. But they are not forced to do so even by the ADA Laws.