SaltyCajun.com http://redtunashirtclub.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Offshore Fishing Discussion

Offshore Fishing Discussion Discuss everything bluewater from pelagics to reef fish here!

Old 10-31-2015, 09:16 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,962
Default Red Snap Public Meeting

Ok. Guys.. Ur opportunity to get involved if U fish the GoM for Red Snaps.

I'll be there...

I know many of you are saltwater anglers like me. If so, you are likely tired of the way recreational anglers have been treated by the Gulf of Mexico Fishery Management Council (The Gulf Council), especially in regards to their management of Red Snapper, and the resulting 10 day federal season we “enjoyed” in 2015. As someone who goes to all the meetings and watches the proceedings closely, I can tell you that they are simply not equipped to effectively manage recreational anglers.

You have the opportunity to tell them about it Monday night in Baton Rouge at 6pm at the Doubletree Hotel. Representatives of the Council will be on hand to take public comment on Amendment 39, which would put much more of the management responsibility for red snapper in the hands of our State Fisheries Managers ( In Louisiana, the Department of Wildlife and Fisheries). This would be a very positive step towards better science, more management flexibility and an overall more equitable system.

Amendment 39 PUBLIC HEARING
Monday, November 2, 2015- 6pm
Doubletree
4964 Constitution Avenue
Baton Rouge, LA 70808

One thing is for sure, the anti-angler enviro groups will be there to speak against Amendment 39, and blame everything on recreational anglers. I hope you will consider coming to speak up in favor of 39. And if you will, please pass this message on to your fishing buddies, or anyone else who might like to attend. Even if you don’t like to speak in public, you can fill out a comment card in support of the measure. Either way, your presence is important!

Check out this video on Regional Management produced by the 5 Gulf State Fisheries agencies. It lays out the benefits of the concept very well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mc2Y...ature=youtu.be
Old 11-01-2015, 08:59 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 8,726

The last time I went there they had a bunch from Florida, Alabama, and Texas to counter everybody from this state so they could push the platform they wanted. They also made sure I spoke near last after most of the meeting was already broken up. They were not open to any type of discussion. I am in favor of regional management but the MS act prevents that.
Old 11-01-2015, 02:55 PM
Red Snapper

Capt. Hoop..

If we are successful over turning Amendment 40... We will get regional Management.. We'd all get more days. We could easily have a rec catch allotment of over 7 milion #..

I'm in favor of a 4 day a week season for say 60 days.

Being a federal reef permit holder U can not fish the state waters. Plus I was there when U testified...

I may be wrong.. But if I remember U indicated U also had a commercial license, but sold UR quota??? And testified AGAINST the Recreational Sector..

Is my memory not correct??

If the NMFS doesn't slow down or stop the removal of the offshore platforms.. It will not matter what days or how many snaps they give us.. We won't have any platforms left.
Old 11-03-2015, 07:48 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 8,726

I also hold a commercial license but I only fish pompano. As far as red snapper I do not have that commercial license. The only interest I have in the red snapper fight is the recreational and charter. You had me mixed with somebody else for sure.

At one time a charter was regulated by the recreational regulations. Now we have recreational, federal charter, and state charter as well as commercial and federal permitted charter head boat. They are dividing us so much the enforcement people can not keep things straight.

We have to find a way to set up some artificial reefs in this state but the shrimpers and the pogie industry are fighting against that because of gear damage.

I worked yesterday and could not attend.
Old 11-03-2015, 11:20 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,238

So how was it?
Old 11-06-2015, 08:27 PM
Red Snapper

The overwhelming majority of people spoke, where in favor of regional mgt... It's sad to say as long as Roy Crabtree is in charge, nothing will change...

Just hope the CCA law suit to repeal section separation is successful.. We did see some purposals if we did get regional mgt.. Rec.'s could possible get 60-70 day snap season...