SaltyCajun.com http://www.gator-tail.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 11-15-2012, 08:33 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 918

I wish I could drop that kind of money on a dog
Old 11-15-2012, 09:47 PM
Trophy Trout

I hate to hijack Expressboy's thread, but I'm in the same boat. I want an obedient hunting dog and companion. I will not be putting my dog into any trials, with that being said how much time should I expect to put in a week training? and what program would be best?
Old 11-15-2012, 10:28 PM
Flounder

Cash: 1,281

I'd really like a finished dog. But I want the pleasure of saying that I trained it. Even if its not the best there ever was but it would be a accomplishment for me.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:32 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 1,334

Most folks confuse hunt test with field trials, it's like comparing 5A football with the NFL. Total Retriever Training is one of the best out there but not the only program. Don't waste your $$ on anything from Mike Stewart or the British lab Charlatans. I can walk just about anyone through the basic program if they have the DVD training program, it's not rocket surgery. Plan to dedicate 30 min a day 5-6 days a week for 10 months. It also helps if you can find a local pro to mentor you when you hit a wall. Most will be willing to help for your sweat equity but be prepared to keep your mouth shut and ears open. PM me if you need to find a Good pro in your area, they aren't all good.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:39 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpressboy View Post
I'd really like a finished dog. But I want the pleasure of saying that I trained it. Even if its not the best there ever was but it would be a accomplishment for me.
Great attitude! It can be done, several here have managed to train some pretty good hounds with limited knowledge. Head down to Morse and introduce yourself to Ed Thibodeaux at Satin Belle Retrievers. He's the best in the Lafayette area and willing to help.

Good Luck
Old 11-15-2012, 10:59 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,864

saw a couple finished dogs on ACE kennels. one was 6K and one was 9K. I am seriously thinking about buying TANK, he is the 6K dog.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:10 PM
Flounder

Cash: 1,281

Now what if you work away and someone else is helping train ? Would that make a big difference if you show them how you do it?
Old 11-15-2012, 11:36 PM
Trophy Trout

Thank you, Raymond. That's what I needed to know.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:57 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,142

Quote:
Now what if you work away and someone else is helping train ? Would that make a big difference if you show them how you do it?
That is my dilemma, I've got a new pup i'm working with but I work 7&7. My kids play with him while I'm gone but I have no one to work with him. He is more pet than anything else but I still would like him to fetch birds and be obedient enough to sit in a blind.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:36 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: -747,400

Quote:
The main thing is set a standard and stick to it. Everyone's standards are different. So if someone else is training or helping you train, you both need to be on the same page of music. Because if you send a dog mixed messages, it will only confuse him, and corrections (e-collar) become counter-productive. "You own what you condone" Mike Lardy
Old 11-16-2012, 11:24 AM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaLatt View Post
saw a couple finished dogs on ACE kennels. one was 6K and one was 9K. I am seriously thinking about buying TANK, he is the 6K dog.
website please, never mind. It's who I thought it was and he doesn't have anything worth over $900. Another Charlatan "Marketing" "British" dogs without any preformance in the pedigree that can be proven. All I can say about "British" dogs is "Buyer Beware", All of them are over priced by 50%.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:55 AM
Redfish

Cash: 639

If you are going to consider buying a British dog for $6000 that you saw on a website, you probably shouldnt have the dog regarless. and like Ray Money said, you are about to buy a dog you have only seen a picture of on the internet and pay about $5100 more than its probably worth b/c it barks with an accent.
Old 11-16-2012, 12:11 PM
Flounder

Cash: 669

I say get what you want. I train with people that talk bad about British dogs and I personally feel like my British lab can run circles around theirs. The main thing is be happy with what you purchase. If you go watch the dog run and he is what you are looking for then move forward with it. The main thing i can tell you is stay consistent and pick a program and stick with it. Not everyone is looking for a FT champion, some people are looking for a gundog that can live in the house and ride in the cab of the truck. Dogs are just like everything else in life, everyone has an opinion on what you are getting and 99% of them do not know what you are actually looking for.

With all this being said, I purchased a British Lab and thought long and hard about the program I was on. With a small amount of coaching from my life coach, I changed my program from a no collar somewhat pudding sandwich to Mike Lardy's program. My dog has flourished under this program with the tutelage of what I consider qualified trainer.

Good luck with your purchase and train hard.
Old 11-16-2012, 12:20 PM
Ling

Cash: 4,851

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrown View Post
I say get what you want. I train with people that talk bad about British dogs and I personally feel like my British lab can run circles around theirs. The main thing is be happy with what you purchase. If you go watch the dog run and he is what you are looking for then move forward with it. The main thing i can tell you is stay consistent and pick a program and stick with it. Not everyone is looking for a FT champion, some people are looking for a gundog that can live in the house and ride in the cab of the truck. Dogs are just like everything else in life, everyone has an opinion on what you are getting and 99% of them do not know what you are actually looking for.

With all this being said, I purchased a British Lab and thought long and hard about the program I was on. With a small amount of coaching from my life coach, I changed my program from a no collar somewhat pudding sandwich to Mike Lardy's program. My dog has flourished under this program with the tutelage of what I consider qualified trainer.

Good luck with your purchase and train hard.
Brown nose!
Old 11-16-2012, 12:42 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrown View Post
I say get what you want. I train with people that talk bad about British dogs PRICE/ACCOMPLISHMENTS (not me)and I personally feel like my British lab can run circles around theirs. The main thing is be happy with what you purchase. If you go watch the dog run and he is what you are looking for then move forward with it. The main thing i can tell you is stay consistent and pick a program and stick with it. Not everyone is looking for a FT champion, some people are looking for a gundog that can live in the house and ride in the cab of the truck. Dogs are just like everything else in life, everyone has an opinion on what you are getting and 99% of them do not know what you are actually looking for.

With all this being said, I purchased a British Lab and thought long and hard about the program I was on. With a small amount of coaching from my life coach(that sounds so Gay), I changed my program from a no collar somewhat pudding sandwich to Mike Lardy's program. My dog has flourished under this program with the tutelage of what I consider qualified trainer(That's supposed to be a secret).

Good luck with your purchase and train SMART.
Carry on folks
Old 11-16-2012, 12:53 PM
Sailfish

Here's ole Ace doing some jam up dog training, I am not sure what he is trying to accomplish. With 9 males and 15 females it also looks like he is more into running a Puppy Mill than Training Kennel.

http://youtu.be/IP6jzsp_zXE

http://youtu.be/YRSB6c_3Zm4
Old 11-16-2012, 01:08 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,952

Ease up Ray. Not everyone wants a dog that will bust through a block of 500 dekes full of feathers to retrieve a bird that fell 100 yards out of the pond in knee high rice stubble.
Old 11-16-2012, 01:25 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 3,468

I'm not sure your serious with the JAM up statement?

about 13 years ago I traveled to Terrell Texas to buy a puppy from a pretty solid HRC bloodline. I started the training and then sent him off for the force training. Retrieved his first hunted bird at around a year old. Crippled Spec that was so big he had to drag it back by the neck! LOL... he became my hunting buddy for many years and retrieved thousands of birds all over the south. He died last year of cancer. I'll get another one soon but he'll have some big paws to fill......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg asdasfasdfasdfasdf.jpg (80.4 KB, 76 views)
Old 11-16-2012, 01:35 PM
Redfish

Bbrown, what training group is that you train with? Must be group of champions.

in the end, you can buy whatever you want if have the $$$. British or Irish or German, even Japanese. I am not knocking Britsh dogs, just the people that will sucker someone into paying $6,000 or $9,000 for a dog that is "imported".
Old 11-16-2012, 01:37 PM
Redfish

I will answer that for Raymond, he is dead serious about the jam up statement.