SaltyCajun.com http://www.lmcboats.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 12-05-2011, 12:28 PM
Great White

Cash: 2,738
Default Let walk or drop the hammer?

My brother finally decided he wanted to give hunting a try. He had these two does walk out 40 yards from the stand and let em walk. Don't know about yall but either one would have been a good one for your first.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 378552_10150429703209214_564504213_8215616_645808258_n.jpg (51.1 KB, 402 views)
Old 12-05-2011, 12:32 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 3,546

I'd dropped that one in the front for sure! I hunt for the meat!
Old 12-05-2011, 12:33 PM
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by southern151 View Post
I'd dropped that one in the front for sure! I hunt for the meat!
Haha no doubt....he said they looked too small. We gave him a hard time because he saw a fawn the night before that might have weighed 40 pounds. Now that is too small.
Old 12-05-2011, 12:37 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 10,192

I faced the same problem. I have yet to kill a deer. And on the last hunt of last years season, I had 2 doe walk out about 30 yards. Only problem was I think my black lab was bigger than these deer so I just watched to see if a buck would come then let them walk off. Headed to the alexandria area this weekend to try and get that first one.
Old 12-05-2011, 12:37 PM
Ling

Cash: 3,167

Wow! If it didn't excite him, then maybe he is wanting a buck. Has he watched hunting shows before? All these hunting shows nowadays with big bucks are indoctrinating that you have to kill a big buck. Maybe deer hunting is not his thing. Take him duck hunting and you may just create a monster May take him squirrel hunting also, because you actually 'hunt' the animal. You have to see them and be quiet stalking them.

No offense, but I have been in that situation a hundred times in a big box stand overlooking a food plot or corn feeder and it doesn't do it for me either.
Old 12-05-2011, 12:38 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,488

Those might go 50lbs! Why give him a hard time for waiting on a good size deer to come out? I am so glad we moved out hunting operations to Ms where we have deer, and a healthy herd so we don't have to make the kids shoot anything that comes out, otherwise some "brown its down" shooter will take it. To each his own, but he should have gotten a pat on the back and told he did good by not shooting a deer that has a 8" backstrap! LOL!
Old 12-05-2011, 12:39 PM
Ling

Cash: 4,851

Brown=down, just neck shot the smaller ones so less meat wasted
Old 12-05-2011, 12:40 PM
Great White

Cash: 2,534

Drop 'em like its hot !!!
Old 12-05-2011, 12:41 PM
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Butter View Post
Wow! If it didn't excite him, then maybe he is wanting a buck. Has he watched hunting shows before? All these hunting shows nowadays with big bucks are indoctrinating that you have to kill a big buck. Maybe deer hunting is not his thing. Take him duck hunting and you may just create a monster May take him squirrel hunting also, because you actually 'hunt' the animal. You have to see them and be quiet stalking them.

No offense, but I have been in that situation a hundred times in a big box stand overlooking a food plot or corn feeder and it doesn't do it for me either.
I hear ya on the box stand looking over a food plot. That is my grandpaws spot,I hunt in the woods with lock-ons. Only time I sit in a box stand is when it's raining.
Old 12-05-2011, 12:47 PM
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finfeatherfur View Post
Those might go 50lbs! Why give him a hard time for waiting on a good size deer to come out? I am so glad we moved out hunting operations to Ms where we have deer, and a healthy herd so we don't have to make the kids shoot anything that comes out, otherwise some "brown its down" shooter will take it. To each his own, but he should have gotten a pat on the back and told he did good by not shooting a deer that has a 8" backstrap! LOL!
Not everyone is lucky enough to hunt in mississippi,no doubt they have alot of deer. Our lease has a great deer heard,only bad thing is they run dogs when the season opens. We hate it,but they stay away from our areas for the most part when running dogs. Would love to find a lease with more focus on managment but we have too much time and money invested to start over. Hard to tell with the pic but the one on the left is bigger than 50 pounds. To be clear we were not giving him a hard time,just some loving smack talking. Im glad he finally got out in nature. He has been battling drug and alcohol problems and finally got his head right. I think he found his new addiction,he was talking about going back on the drive home.
Old 12-05-2011, 12:52 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,468

Meat hunter here. If it walks out on me, its coming home with me. Only time I would wait for a bigger one is if I know he's there.
Old 12-05-2011, 12:56 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,488

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montauk17 View Post
Not everyone is lucky enough to hunt in mississippi,no doubt they have alot of deer. Our lease has a great deer heard,only bad thing is they run dogs when the season opens. We hate it,but they stay away from our areas for the most part when running dogs. Would love to find a lease with more focus on managment but we have too much time and money invested to start over. Hard to tell with the pic but the one on the left is bigger than 50 pounds.
I had the same delima recently and it took alot of gonads to make the call to do it. Man, its the best thing that ever happend to us! Woke up Saturday morning to find deer tracks outside our back door, 15 yards!!!!! Literally, 15 yards from our back door, in between our skinning/storage shed and we have them all around the house! All of that for the same price I was paying in Winn Parish where they hunted dogs, from the roads, and basically made a nice place a shooting gallery if you had hair. I am not knocking it, I grew up hunting LA, I just find it more enjoyable to put my kids/wife in a position to see animals and harvest mature deer.

For me, I get my enjoyment by putting them on a stand, then going to the other side of the property to check pig traps, or feed a swamp area to shoot a pig. Until the rut starts, I find sitting in a box or tree boring. I ut everyone out this past Saturday and went cook and watch LSU, then went ride and pick them up. Then after the game, went bloodtrail a deer with my dog. That gets my blood pumping more than anything nowadays, so to each his own. Just remember, follow your heart on what you enjoy and it always works out. For me, that meant spending the time to research and find a spot - and the time/energy to MOVE!
Old 12-05-2011, 01:00 PM
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finfeatherfur View Post
I had the same delima recently and it took alot of gonads to make the call to do it. Man, its the best thing that ever happend to us! Woke up Saturday morning to find deer tracks outside our back door, 15 yards!!!!! Literally, 15 yards from our back door, in between our skinning/storage shed and we have them all around the house! All of that for the same price I was paying in Winn Parish where they hunted dogs, from the roads, and basically made a nice place a shooting gallery if you had hair. I am not knocking it, I grew up hunting LA, I just find it more enjoyable to put my kids/wife in a position to see animals and harvest mature deer.

For me, I get my enjoyment by putting them on a stand, then going to the other side of the property to check pig traps, or feed a swamp area to shoot a pig. Until the rut starts, I find sitting in a box or tree boring. I ut everyone out this past Saturday and went cook and watch LSU, then went ride and pick them up. Then after the game, went bloodtrail a deer with my dog. That gets my blood pumping more than anything nowadays, so to each his own. Just remember, follow your heart on what you enjoy and it always works out. For me, that meant spending the time to research and find a spot - and the time/energy to MOVE!
I hear ya bro,when it all boils down to it it's all about enjoying gods wonderful creation. I am starting to get the same way. Rut has started on our property. Saw a mature buck chasing two does 200 yards down a pipeline friday morning but could not pick my gun up quick enough. Just seeing that buck chasing got my heart pumping! Gotta love it.
Old 12-05-2011, 01:11 PM
Ling

Cash: 3,167

Quote:
Not everyone is lucky enough to hunt in mississippi,no doubt they have alot of deer. Our lease has a great deer heard,only bad thing is they run dogs when the season opens. We hate it,but they stay away from our areas for the most part when running dogs. Would love to find a lease with more focus on managment but we have too much time and money invested to start over. Hard to tell with the pic but the one on the left is bigger than 50 pounds. To be clear we were not giving him a hard time,just some loving smack talking. Im glad he finally got out in nature. He has been battling drug and alcohol problems and finally got his head right. I think he found his new addiction,he was talking about going back on the drive home.
Thats good of you, hope he snaps out of his funk. The outdoors has helped many people get out that funk
Old 12-05-2011, 01:23 PM
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Butter View Post
Thats good of you, hope he snaps out of his funk. The outdoors has helped many people get out that funk
No doubt....I also had the same issues but never took it to the level he did. Fishing and hunting is one of the main reasons I keep my sanity along with the big man upstairs. He was never much of a outdoors type person growing up,but he is coming around.
Old 12-05-2011, 01:27 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 2,464

I am all about managing the heard and I enjoy killing a big buck and I enjoy just sitting and watching deer some days but if I don't have meat in the freezer or on the ground and a decent doe walks out I am going to shoot her. If you don't shoot some does then your heard gets out of ratio and if all you shoot is old big breeding does you reduce your number of fawns for next yr, so I shoot younger does for meat and to protect the heard.
Old 12-05-2011, 01:30 PM
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedeater View Post
I am all about managing the heard and I enjoy killing a big buck and I enjoy just sitting and watching deer some days but if I don't have meat in the freezer or on the ground and a decent doe walks out I am going to shoot her. If you don't shoot some does then your heard gets out of ratio and if all you shoot is old big breeding does you reduce your number of fawns for next yr, so I shoot younger does for meat and to protect the heard.
X2.....That is why I didn't post pics of the two 80 and 90 pound does I killed this year. Alot of people think they gotta be 100+ to kill. Them youngins sure taste good too.
Old 12-05-2011, 01:31 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 2,464

If I have a doe with yearling walk out, mama gonna walk
Old 12-05-2011, 01:40 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 826

Quote:
Haha no doubt....he said they looked too small. We gave him a hard time because he saw a fawn the night before that might have weighed 40 pounds. Now that is too small.
Worked a checkpoint at clear creek last fall for a wildlife class. Another group was at fort polk. Someone checked in a 27lb "doe".
Old 12-05-2011, 01:42 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 1,505

Quote:
X2.....That is why I didn't post pics of the two 80 and 90 pound does I killed this year. Alot of people think they gotta be 100+ to kill. Them youngins sure taste good too.
In my opinion, which I'm entitled to be wrong, you have two different types of hunts. You have a meat hunt and you have trophy hunt. That's just my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk