SaltyCajun.com http://www.jerrys-marine.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 01-01-2012, 02:53 PM
Great White

Cash: 2,738
Default Time for a new hunting spot

Went to the lease after work friday to do a lil hunting. The lease I am in runs dogs away from the members that still hunt. To make a very long story short they had dogs running all over my spot saturday. Woke up early this morning and got in my leaning stand by a creek 200 yards from my food plot. Right at sunrise I hear a buck grunting. Picked my bow up and thought it was gunna be a good morning. Not 5 mins later two lost dogs come and jump the buck that was in the area. To top it off the two lost dogs were eating corn under my feeder when I walked back to my truck. Got pissed off and came home at 8:30. Just about had enough,don't think I will renew next year.

Last edited by Montauk17; 01-01-2012 at 03:22 PM.
Old 01-01-2012, 09:42 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 3,813

Cant say i blame you there. Gotta be very agravating to put in your free time and money taking care of your place just to have it trampled on.
Old 01-01-2012, 09:54 PM
Great White

Yeah I rather deal with public hunting then dog hunters. Been dealing with it for 13 years had enough! If anyone has a opening at a lease with good management and no dog hunting let me know!
Old 01-01-2012, 10:18 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,488

I hunt a private lease in Franklin County, MS and we do not run dogs. I have nothing against dog hunters, used to do it myself. We have the blessing of being surronded by Homo****to National Forest, but we also get cursed by it. This weekend I had to call the game wardens because of dog hunters that turned loose on a section of national forest, but quickly ended up on one of our tracts. Not sure about LA, but the MS game wardens were swamped with complaints by still hunters on private land being ruined by dog hunters and dogs.

The two agents that came out to our situation were great. I would not want their job at all. The laws are very clear in Ms and will eventually put the dog running game out for good. For the record, I would not have called the game warden at all, but the SOB that turned the dogs loose made the comment to me "I aint' got power steering on them" and seemed to care less that he ruined my hunt, ran a small buck through two of our food plots and had 6 dogs on our property for 4 hours before we got them out. They have no business putting them out where the dog can get on private land and the wardens are dropping the hammer. Agent told us last court date in Franklin County saw 42 citations against dog hunters, all found guilty by the judge. The national forest has areas where they can run and not impact private land hunters, but the bigger deer are located........you guessed it, on the private land where the food plots and supplemental feed is put out for year round growth.
Old 01-01-2012, 10:26 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 2,464

I am hunting only wma's next yr, saving my money that I have been spending on a lease and gonna try to put my money else where and my time on public land.
Old 01-01-2012, 10:44 PM
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedeater View Post
I am hunting only wma's next yr, saving my money that I have been spending on a lease and gonna try to put my money else where and my time on public land.
I don't blame you.....think I will hunt indian bayou the rest of the year. Bow season last till feb 15th. Would like to try tunica hills too but never been there before.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:33 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,001

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedeater View Post
We are doing the same thing. Dropping out lease and public only.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:54 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,535

I am going to lease some land next year. I already have my eyes on a piece of property or two but am going to wait to see what else comes available. They won't be big pieces of property and they probably won't be full of deer as they will either be in Vernon or Beauregard parish but they will be mine and I will be able to take my kids whenever I want. I may need another fellow or two to join me to help with expenses. If you are interested just let me know.

Dan
Old 01-02-2012, 07:40 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feesherman View Post
We are doing the same thing. Dropping out lease and public only.

You better keep you lease.... there are no Deer on Public Land.

Welcome to Public land hunting. You will need to put in lots time scouting to kill some deer.... or carry a rabbit's foot.
Old 01-02-2012, 09:09 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald View Post
You better keep you lease.... there are no Deer on Public Land.

Welcome to Public land hunting. You will need to put in lots time scouting to kill some deer.... or carry a rabbit's foot.
The two I have killed so far this year have been on public. I haven't kilt anything on my lease. Just cause I have a lease don't mean I don't also hunt public. I scout all year long and hunt many different WMA's, National Forest as well as NWR's. I am just gonna make it a full time endeavor now.
Old 01-02-2012, 09:20 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 9,671

Plenty of deer on wmas
Old 01-04-2012, 11:02 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,283

No offence to any one....but if I caught dogs runnin on my property while I was tryn to hunt....the owner would never find his dogs....screw the deer...I'd be huntn dogs!!!!!!!
Old 01-04-2012, 11:05 AM
Ling

Cash: 3,167

You should take up duck hunting instead. I hear there is a good lease coming up next year that is way away from any other blind (450 yards)

You will be fine as long as you don't call at all, don't ever go, don't shoot at geese or ducks, and never ever shoot to the north
Old 01-04-2012, 11:07 AM
Ling

Cash: 3,167

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.B View Post
No offence to any one....but if I caught dogs runnin on my property while I was tryn to hunt....the owner would never find his dogs....screw the deer...I'd be huntn dogs!!!!!!!
I don't think that would fly very well. Stick to fishing

We are all hunters, dogs don't know boundaries, take it up with the owner of the dog not the dog itself
Old 01-04-2012, 02:38 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,283

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Butter View Post
I don't think that would fly very well. Stick to fishing

We are all hunters, dogs don't know boundaries, take it up with the owner of the dog not the dog itself
Somebody say something???