SaltyCajun.com https://www.facebook.com/CalcasieuExtremeRods

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 09-19-2014, 03:32 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,354
Question portable generator conversions

Anyone convert a generator from gasoline to natural gas or propane. I looked online and it seems fairly simple to do. Kits go about 180-200 bucks for a tri conversion. I haven't seen anything negative about them. I'm not really interested in propane cause I have ready access to a gas line but they claim after so far from the meter you need a length of bigger hose. Just wondering if anyone done this and had any problems and where did you purchase your kit from. I found a few dealers online but know nothing of any of them. Thanks for any help.
Old 09-22-2014, 07:25 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,238

I'm interested also. Never having to deal with gummy carbs would be so nice.
Old 09-22-2014, 08:11 AM
Sand Trout

Cash: 596
Default conversion kit

I put one on a John Deere 7500 about 4 years ago. It was easy to install. I ordered it online but I don't remember what company it was from.
Old 09-22-2014, 11:20 AM
Ling

Cash: 3,542

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt coonassty View Post
I'm interested also. Never having to deal with gummy carbs would be so nice.
No joke! That would be the ticket for a camp generator.
Old 09-22-2014, 11:33 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil bubba View Post
Anyone convert a generator from gasoline to natural gas or propane. I looked online and it seems fairly simple to do. Kits go about 180-200 bucks for a tri conversion. I haven't seen anything negative about them. I'm not really interested in propane cause I have ready access to a gas line but they claim after so far from the meter you need a length of bigger hose. Just wondering if anyone done this and had any problems and where did you purchase your kit from. I found a few dealers online but know nothing of any of them. Thanks for any help.

I have I got my kit from naturalgasgenerators.com, looks like they aren't around anymore though. I don't have any problems with mine.
Old 09-22-2014, 11:35 AM
Swordfish

If you get a conversion kit and want to run it off of a propane bottle you will need to get a low pressure regulator for it.
Old 09-22-2014, 04:08 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,354

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp snorkler View Post
If you get a conversion kit and want to run it off of a propane bottle you will need to get a low pressure regulator for it.
Yea supposedly with a tri kit or a type c it has the conversion for propane . My generator is mounted where it blows directly out of my garage window and all I use it for is power outage . From what I see propane is equal to gasoline . A 5 gallon propane equal to 5 gallon gas. With the natural gas I don't have to worry bout a gas station and its cheaper. I think I'm gunna go ahead order a kit and see. It would be nice not to have to worry bout fuel after a storm. I have romex running from generator up into attic to closet with outlet and down through kitchen cabinets wit outlets for fridge and such and ac closet. You would never know they there if you weren't told. No extension cords all over.
Old 09-22-2014, 07:56 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 4,521

Mine isn't a conversion but its hooked up to my natural gas line. About 5-6 years old and no problems so far. Run it for a few minutes every month or so and then it's ready to go if/when we have a power outage.
Old 09-23-2014, 06:16 AM
Swordfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil bubba View Post
Yea supposedly with a tri kit or a type c it has the conversion for propane . My generator is mounted where it blows directly out of my garage window and all I use it for is power outage . From what I see propane is equal to gasoline . A 5 gallon propane equal to 5 gallon gas. With the natural gas I don't have to worry bout a gas station and its cheaper. I think I'm gunna go ahead order a kit and see. It would be nice not to have to worry bout fuel after a storm. I have romex running from generator up into attic to closet with outlet and down through kitchen cabinets wit outlets for fridge and such and ac closet. You would never know they there if you weren't told. No extension cords all over.

As long as South Coast Gas is pumping natural gas I'm in business. Mine runs off of natural gas. I can run it off of propane but I need a low pressure regulator.
Old 09-23-2014, 11:18 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 662

I have a kit on a 5000 watt and a tecumseh engine. I bought it from "propanecarbs.com" I believe this is the same guy that held a propane dragster national championship several years in a row. They are very easy to set up. I run mine on a 30 ft. rubber hose that I had made at IRG. Watch though and don't use any quick fittings. They act as an orifice and you will not get enough gas. Keep in mind that house gas is only about 6 oz. of pressure. Look for the kit that bolts onto the existing carb. You bolt it on and replace your breather. Can still run on gasoline if you wish. I have run mine exclusively on natural gas for years. Excellant. But---you have to remember to shut it down and change the oil.
Old 09-24-2014, 06:42 AM
Swordfish

Yup, generators engine oil should be changed at 40 hours.