SaltyCajun.com http://www.braggingbadges.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 06-24-2012, 11:01 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 629
Default Lab Color Differences?? HELP!!!

Hey guys it's been a while since I've posted anything on here, but I figured I'd ask the "experts" when I came across this problem. I have recently come into the opportunity to get my second lab to train as a gundog as my first yellow lab (RIP Dixie) was shot in the head by my stupid neighbor's piece of $HIIIII kid about 2 years ago. I've finally gotten settled in Baton Rouge with my own apartment and am ready to take on the task of training another companion. I am currently trying to decide on whether or not to choose a chocolate or yellow lab as my new dog. I would like a chocolate, however i have had multiple people say chocolate's are not the best dogs as far as gundog training and I'd be much better off going with another yellow. Is there any truth to this? I haven't completely set my heart on a chocolate and really do love yellows and plan to let the puppy pick me, as I am getting pick of the litter from the breeder, but would like to get more experienced advice on this problem. Also any other advice on actually picking the puppy and things to look/watch out for would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance guys.

-Luke Langley
Old 06-25-2012, 06:42 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 838

I have been in your shoes on this decision before... I was going back an forth from Yellow to chocolate.. I know many who hve no problems with choc's and a few who hate them.. Many who love yellows and few who hate them.. One day while at a field trial run I seen a dog that stood out more then any.. She was a fox red lab... Which is a genetic color thrown from yellow labs..
I fell in love and from being able to easy train and blending in with more hunting surroundings I will
Never get another color lab then fox red.. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340624555.383655.jpg
Old 06-25-2012, 07:37 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 587

I have never seen any scientific data that would support that one color lab is smarter, or better than others. THE ONLY information that I have found that would remotely support that fact is that black labs are the most abundant color. Therefore, breeders can concentrate on other factors like speed, agility and trainability. However, breeding has come such a long way that there is no difference in labs due to the color of their coat.

Its pretty much a Ford vs. Chevy arguement....whichever you like is the best to you.
Old 06-25-2012, 07:38 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,952

Black.
Old 06-25-2012, 07:51 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 460

Once u go black u never go back
Old 06-25-2012, 08:02 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,952

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Dawg View Post
Once u go black u never go back
I did and somewhat regret it.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:17 AM
Sand Trout

Cash: 614

I know you mentioned being partial to Yellow's and Chocolates, but there is a guy in Baton Rouge that breeds silver and charcoal labs. This is a genetic trait in the Black Lab and the Chocolate Lab that they are breeding for. Absolutely gorgeous dogs. Google Acadiana Silver and Charcoal Labs.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:42 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 460

No such thing as a silver lab. People call them that but they are a mix of weim and lab. I agree though I think they are beautiful dogs. I had a blue weim and that was the smartest dog I ever owned.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:47 AM
Redfish

Cash: 794

Black is the way to go. I have seem some great chocolates, buy there seems to be a lot that have issues also. A lot of yellows seem to have health problems, skin issues for one.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:09 AM
Flounder

Cash: 696

I have had all three and the black lab was my best dog!
Old 06-25-2012, 12:10 PM
Trophy Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullrutt View Post
I have been in your shoes on this decision before... I was going back an forth from Yellow to chocolate.. I know many who hve no problems with choc's and a few who hate them.. Many who love yellows and few who hate them.. One day while at a field trial run I seen a dog that stood out more then any.. She was a fox red lab... Which is a genetic color thrown from yellow labs..
I fell in love and from being able to easy train and blending in with more hunting surroundings I will
Never get another color lab then fox red.. Attachment 36308
The breeder I'm going with is A friend of my aunt's that is a vet. The two parent dogs are yellow and chocolate. If they throw a red I'm for sure getting one because they are absolutely beautiful and I get pick of the litter. JY
Old 06-25-2012, 12:10 PM
Trophy Trout

This decision is drivi me nuts. I'll probably end up deciding when I get there to pick
Old 06-25-2012, 12:11 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 5,054

I am partial to my yellow lab... He is the best all around obediant dog I have ever had...

His favorite thing is to hang out shadowing my every move and mooch a slurp of beer here and there ...

Hydro
Old 06-25-2012, 12:22 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,978

I would make your decision based on the bloodline of the parents. I breed blacks. I have 3 females and have had all colors. Many prefer the Black dominent gene and say that there are less genetic faults in the Black on Black blood. However, I know lots of people with great chocs and yellows. I assume this would be just a hunting dog. Make sure both of their hips are certified etc.. Ask about any genetic problems with the parents or in the bloodline. Request papers on both parents. Let someone look at them that is familiar. Try and see the pups as much as possible. Their temperment with litter mates will reflect their behavior. I have always picked the alpha which seem to be more aggresive and have more drive. An alpha will require more attention and more training. If not interested in that much drive you may want a more passive puppy that will not squirm when you put it on its back. I'm not an expert just have lots of experience and done a good bit of research. Silvers are also an off color of a chocalate. AKC registers them as chocalate. Not that there is anything wrong with them either. I would think as far as you get away from the 3 main colors the more problems you could have in the long run. Hope this helps.
Old 06-25-2012, 12:24 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,978

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullrutt View Post
Never get another color lab then fox red.. Attachment 36308
Beautiful dog!!! If I ever do get another color it would be big Fox Red male.
Old 06-25-2012, 12:36 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tete Dur View Post
I have never seen any scientific data that would support that one color lab is smarter, or better than others. THE ONLY information that I have found that would remotely support that fact is that black labs are the most abundant color. Therefore, breeders can concentrate on other factors like speed, agility and trainability. However, breeding has come such a long way that there is no difference in labs due to the color of their coat.

Its pretty much a Ford vs. Chevy arguement....whichever you like is the best to you.
Blacks are most abundant with the best blood lines because all others were culled for many years.(Plus black is the dominant gene) If it was born any color other than black, it was simply killed and culled. Then came yellas and they were still culling the chocs. The chocs were last so they have the shortest pedigree out of all the colors of labs.
Old 06-25-2012, 04:07 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 1,334

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodduck Commander View Post
The breeder I'm going with is A friend of my aunt's that is a vet. The two parent dogs are yellow and chocolate. If they throw a red I'm for sure getting one because they are absolutely beautiful and I get pick of the litter. JY
This is a breeding commonly referred to as a "Dudley" and is probably not being done by any reputable breeder. Vets don't always know what they are doing and this one certainly doesn't if breeding for preformance.

In your original post you referred to your apartment, do you plan to board the dog somewhere else or just the apartment? Plan to be very busy going in and out for weeks/months with crate training. Make sure your lease will allow pets over 50#'s since he/she will be there soon and you don't want to have to move because of a dog (doesn't look good on application).

More people than you think believe puppies are a good idea prior to having them but only after the fact understand how much work and money they need to keep their end of the contract.

Good Luck with your new pup
Old 06-25-2012, 06:28 PM
Flounder

Cash: 703

I have owned several labs over the years black yellow and 2 chocolates, both of the chocolates had skin problems that the vet could never clear up, one was severe and looked like mange but it wasn't. Both of these dogs were from different breeders. Nephew has a chocolate now from mississippi and has the same skin problems. I will never own another chocolate
Old 06-25-2012, 06:34 PM
Trophy Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
This is a breeding commonly referred to as a "Dudley" and is probably not being done by any reputable breeder. Vets don't always know what they are doing and this one certainly doesn't if breeding for preformance.

In your original post you referred to your apartment, do you plan to board the dog somewhere else or just the apartment? Plan to be very busy going in and out for weeks/months with crate training. Make sure your lease will allow pets over 50#'s since he/she will be there soon and you don't want to have to move because of a dog (doesn't look good on application).

More people than you think believe puppies are a good idea prior to having them but only after the fact understand how much work and money they need to keep their end of the contract.

Good Luck with your new pup
I've done it with one. Im pretty confident for this one and have arranged my schedule and have a place to board if need be.
Old 06-25-2012, 07:08 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 887

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Spook View Post
I would make your decision based on the bloodline of the parents. I breed blacks. I have 3 females and have had all colors. Many prefer the Black dominent gene and say that there are less genetic faults in the Black on Black blood. However, I know lots of people with great chocs and yellows. I assume this would be just a hunting dog. Make sure both of their hips are certified etc.. Ask about any genetic problems with the parents or in the bloodline. Request papers on both parents. Let someone look at them that is familiar. Try and see the pups as much as possible. Their temperment with litter mates will reflect their behavior. I have always picked the alpha which seem to be more aggresive and have more drive. An alpha will require more attention and more training. If not interested in that much drive you may want a more passive puppy that will not squirm when you put it on its back. I'm not an expert just have lots of experience and done a good bit of research. Silvers are also an off color of a chocalate. AKC registers them as chocalate. Not that there is anything wrong with them either. I would think as far as you get away from the 3 main colors the more problems you could have in the long run. Hope this helps.
Good advice SuperSpook, especially about the puppy's parents hips being certified....hip dysplasia is inherited and is something you do not want your dog to have.....if the parents are certified then the chances are a lot less of your puppy not having it, but still possible....if the parents are from good bloodlines and are proven, then the chances of you puppy being good is there too, no matter the color.