SaltyCajun.com lake Area Marine

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 06-07-2012, 08:33 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,010
Default Dog question

I am looking for a sure fire way to stop my 1 year old lab from chewing everything in sight before I put a bullet in him. He has chewed the flowers my daughter planted, the wire off the washer, my son's fishing pole and also the tire on his bike, this was all in one night. I have a hot wire hooked up in his pen to keep him from chewing the fence and he has chewed the hot wire, been thinking of 115v extension cord but I don't want to fry him.

Warren
Old 06-07-2012, 08:49 PM
Redfish

Cash: 663

Has he been neutered? and what does he do during the day? Is he inside or outside?
Old 06-07-2012, 08:58 PM
Trophy Trout

Not neutered. He is outside all day in a pen, in the evening he has run of 20+ acres but likes to stay under the garage where he chews everything he can get his mouth on. He has even climbed a metal cabinet to get something off the top shelf and chewed it.

Warren
Old 06-07-2012, 09:01 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 3,546

Zombie round...
Old 06-07-2012, 09:18 PM
Redfish

Cash: 663

First thing I'd do is snip him. Especially if hes a puppy. IF that's not an option. Find something constructive to do with him in the evenings. Those dogs don't run out of energy physically but they will if you challenge them mentally from what we've done. My fiance's parents have a golden retriever that has been stupid since day one. Since I've been bringing my dog around a lot more and we started training her to retrieve birds she has become much more manageable. We really noticed a difference with the retrieving though. If your not interested in the bird stuff maybe try a ball or a frisby. Make it into a game for him to please you and when he does it right reward him immediately after. Surprisingly, it helps a lot more than yelling from our experience.
Old 06-09-2012, 01:27 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 629

do like i did with mine. put a shock collar on him. tell him to leave it. if he doesn't give him a good nick. took about 5 mins for mine to figure it out.
Old 06-09-2012, 02:51 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 3,813

I buy mine raw hide bones to chew on. Works good for me.
Old 06-09-2012, 03:15 PM
Ling

Cash: 2,477

Good luck with that. If you don't want it chewed up.....put it up! Ive been lucky with my puppies overs the years, very few were chewers.
Old 06-09-2012, 05:11 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,978

Rawhides and firewood which is much cheaper than rawhide. Shock collar should do the trick unless he is retarded.
Old 06-09-2012, 05:29 PM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Spook View Post
Rawhides and firewood which is much cheaper than rawhide. Shock collar should do the trick unless he is retarded.
I wouldn't go the wood thing. All of mine love wood sticks etc.... I don't how many time I had to dig splinters from their infected gums. Saw a Lab with a piece of stick wedged between his top back teeth cross ways & no one realized it, dog didn't act any different, they dog got to stinking so bad you couldn't get around him, thought he kept rolling in something dead. The roof of his mouth had rotted out! it was NASTY!!
Old 06-09-2012, 05:50 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 3,813

Quote:
Originally Posted by muttmechanic View Post
First thing I'd do is snip him. Especially if hes a puppy. IF that's not an option. Find something constructive to do with him in the evenings. Those dogs don't run out of energy physically but they will if you challenge them mentally from what we've done. My fiance's parents have a golden retriever that has been stupid since day one. Since I've been bringing my dog around a lot more and we started training her to retrieve birds she has become much more manageable. We really noticed a difference with the retrieving though. If your not interested in the bird stuff maybe try a ball or a frisby. Make it into a game for him to please you and when he does it right reward him immediately after. Surprisingly, it helps a lot more than yelling from our experience.

Not saying your wrong at all, but how would getting him fixed stop him from chewing?
Old 06-09-2012, 05:54 PM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjhooper82 View Post
Not saying your wrong at all, but how would getting him fixed stop him from chewing?
It won't......he won't lick his balls anymore tho!
Old 06-09-2012, 06:32 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 2,192

A "working dog" needs a job. Train it to get your paper, or a beer out of the fridge, anything. Thats pent up energy he is letting out in a negative way.

My advise, find him a home and get yourself a Rotti.
Old 06-09-2012, 09:25 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,978

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtretrievers View Post
I wouldn't go the wood thing. All of mine love wood sticks etc.... I don't how many time I had to dig splinters from their infected gums. Saw a Lab with a piece of stick wedged between his top back teeth cross ways & no one realized it, dog didn't act any different, they dog got to stinking so bad you couldn't get around him, thought he kept rolling in something dead. The roof of his mouth had rotted out! it was NASTY!!
Mine was green oak. She never had any problems. She would pull them off the rack when I wasn't home anyway. She doesn't chew anymore. That sounds terrible. Wood not a good idea then.
Old 06-09-2012, 09:50 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 2,192

What??
Old 06-10-2012, 10:06 AM
Trophy Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Spook View Post

I do believe he is retarded or just loves pain. Like I posted, he ATE the live hot wire that I had put around the top of his pen. The electric collar only makes him lay down and look at what he has been chewing and after I walk away, he will totally destroy what ever it is that I tried to correct him for. Rawhide bones last about 5 minutes and it is gone, and that is the super sized one.

Warren
Old 06-10-2012, 10:27 AM
Ling

Cash: 1,391

Put him on a treadmill with a rawhide hanging in front of him and let him wear himself out. Just joking of course. My pup just turned a year old and she would chew the cords off of everything and chew the moulding up when left alone. My wife bought some spray that she sprays on stuff she doesn't want chewed up and started buying rawhide bones or pig ears and it seems to have helped. She also gave her a pair of my old tennis shoes. But I feel the older they get, the more they calm down.
Old 06-10-2012, 10:39 AM
Trophy Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Devil View Post
Put him on a treadmill with a rawhide hanging in front of him and let him wear himself out. Just joking of course. My pup just turned a year old and she would chew the cords off of everything and chew the moulding up when left alone. My wife bought some spray that she sprays on stuff she doesn't want chewed up and started buying rawhide bones or pig ears and it seems to have helped. She also gave her a pair of my old tennis shoes. But I feel the older they get, the more they calm down.

Jay, what is the name of the spray and where can I get it? My son is because the dog chewed up his bike and is wanting to shoot the dog.

Warren
Old 06-10-2012, 10:52 AM
Ling

Cash: 1,391

I'm not sure, but I think she got it at Wal Mart. When she calls be later, I'll ask her.
Old 06-10-2012, 12:05 PM
Ling

Cash: 1,584

Bitter Apple??

Labs have got to be the most neurotic animals on the planet.......

frankly some just can't be settled.
doggy prozak may work, or cheap wine ......LOL