SaltyCajun.com http://www.matrixshad.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 04-22-2013, 11:30 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,275
Default I no longer support the wounded warrior project.

It's with great sadness, that I must personally withdraw my support for the Wounded Warrior Project. It's become very obvious that they have chosen as an organization to get away from the roots of what made them great.

some of the many reasons impacting my decision are as follows.

1) Their president was compensated over 400k in 2011
2) he is reported to have "earned" over 900k in 2012 from the wwp
3) much less than .30 cents of every donation is going to benefit vets / and or veterans programs. They have a solid consistent D rating (from charitable watch organizations) for spending far to much on "adminstrative" costs for every dollar they take in.
4) they have taken a position of not assisting vietnam era vets , and not including them in there activites.
5) recently they have also taken a position to not allow re-branding of their logo by any pro gun ownership organizations. http://www.examiner.com/article/woun...nti-gun-stance It's those same organizations that originally spread the word about how great it was to support them.

I fondly remember taking wounded vets out on the potomac and james rivers, and catching some monster catfish with some great vets.. WWP was then an organization based on giving these vets some great times to live for, because as people they had been through hell. I'm sad that the WWP's commercialization has come to this.

If anyone knows of an up and coming organization that is modeled after the WWP in its early years... please let me know.

Also please be aware that there are many organizations with "wounded warrior" in there name (there is an offical army program, there is also an official marine program. many of them do great work) In this post i am referring to the "Wounded Warrior Project"

I'm sure some will agree with this and others will disagree, Just want to spread the word so that everyone can form their own opinion.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:36 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

1) Their president was compensated over 400k in 2011
2) he is reported to have "earned" over 900k in 2012 from the wwp

Complete crap.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:36 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 942

I'm sorry to hear this. It was my favorite charity until now. It looks like they went the way of the Red Cross and the United Way, both "charity" organizations with CEO's earning seven fugure salaries. The only charity out there right now that steers all their donations to the needy is the Salvation Army.
I also would be interested in any trusted charity organizations directed towards wounded veterans.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:38 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 980

I Agree, Salvation Army gets my vote. Good Folks on a mission.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:41 AM
Red Snapper

I do absolutely intend to still find a way to help vets, regardless of it being thru the WWP or other programs. I am hoping someone here knows of a program that's doing it right.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:36 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,038

Do you have any proof to back up your statements? I'd like to verify this myself before I think badly of the organization.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:41 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 909

WWP did stop letting any gun related organizations use their logo, but they still want gun related organizations to take troops out of shooting and hunting trips for free. There are emails and transcripts from interviews late last year floating round on the web. I heard one of them live, and the chick was clearly anti gun, saying the WWP did not want to be affiliated with guns. ***? Anyway, a lot of groups are cutting out the middle man and just taking troops out and finding them in a grassroots manner.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:56 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,488

As stated, I have almost completely stopped supporting all organizations from DU, CCA, United Way, and the list goes on and on due to the greed of so many. I now spend more time and money helping local things - fundraisers, clay shoots, benefits- and leave all the big time stuff alone just for my inner peace and sanity.
Old 04-22-2013, 01:20 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: -747,400

This is sad but not surprising.
Old 04-22-2013, 01:28 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 460

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finfeatherfur View Post
As stated, I have almost completely stopped supporting all organizations from DU, CCA, United Way, and the list goes on and on due to the greed of so many. I now spend more time and money helping local things - fundraisers, clay shoots, benefits- and leave all the big time stuff alone just for my inner peace and sanity.
I stopped supporting DU a long time ago.
Old 04-22-2013, 01:35 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

Quote:

I can agree with this. I much rather help out someone who I know needs help, whether it be cooking hamburgers at my kids school, or helping out a fella with flat tire, dropping a couple bucks off to a kids sports team at wal mart etc
Old 04-22-2013, 01:39 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

Quote:

yes you are right....

I do still support CCA because it is all we have left to help with the coast
Old 04-22-2013, 01:47 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,461

Quote:
Originally Posted by "W" View Post
yes you are right....

I do still support CCA because it is all we have left to help with the coast
X2

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk 2
Old 04-22-2013, 02:07 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 7,266

This sucks.
Old 04-22-2013, 02:26 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmac View Post
Do you have any proof to back up your statements? I'd like to verify this myself before I think badly of the organization.
I agree with your sentiment bmac, and when i found out about this stuff i wanted some fact checking myself.

There is a link in my first post taking you to an article in the examiner discussing the wounded warrior projects aversion to officially working with any organizations that supports gun rights.

here is a link to charity navigator's rating on WWP http://www.charitynavigator.org/inde...ry&orgid=12842
they discuss the ROI of .30 on the dollar and what admin expenses were for WWP.

I will be the first to tell you that I will sorely miss what the WWP did in it's early years. Hell they still did good things even now (by funding hunting / fishing trips etc even now) I just want to commit my money and time to a group that will do those things with a higher percentage of $$ where it belongs, and without pushing its political agenda.

I'm sure there are good one's out there. Just need to find them.
Old 04-22-2013, 02:28 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcinnick View Post
WWP did stop letting any gun related organizations use their logo, but they still want gun related organizations to take troops out of shooting and hunting trips for free. There are emails and transcripts from interviews late last year floating round on the web. I heard one of them live, and the chick was clearly anti gun, saying the WWP did not want to be affiliated with guns. ***? Anyway, a lot of groups are cutting out the middle man and just taking troops out and finding them in a grassroots manner.
Do you know any of these groups cutting out the middle men? would like to get in touch with them and see if i can help.
Old 04-22-2013, 02:30 PM
Ling

Cash: 1,584

most of my charitable giving goes directly to those in my church I see on Sunday's struggling..........

I am NOT in total agreement with the CEO's salary thing.
If you are a person running a multi-billion dollar orginization then indeed 400K to a million is not out the question.

I see this as really pretty serious. If you want to continue to have "community organizers" running multi billion dollar (or trillion as in the USA) then keep on complaining about the pay.

Want to know why we have millionares running for office? Because as in many cases, they person cannot build any amount of wealth by what the office pays.
So you come in as a bazillioaire or steal a bazillion.

there is no way in hell I would take on being president of WWF or Red Cross or anything similar for less than a million a year.
Old 04-22-2013, 02:32 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,467

If you want to support all troops and vets. Donate to the USO. They are there for the troops 100%. I have been there and will stand behind them. The don't really do that much for vets but the vets use the resources when looking for jobs and returning to civilian life.
Old 04-22-2013, 02:39 PM
Site Owner/Admin

Cash: 22,193

If you guys find a good charity for these soldiers we can donate the saltycajun tournament proceeds to it next year, we are locked in this year with the Lake Charles Autism group (great organization) but next year we will rotate again on a two year rotation. We (salty Cajun) will not take one dollar from the event, we never do.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
Old 04-22-2013, 02:44 PM
Ling

Cash: 3,542

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmac View Post
wwp-audited-financial-statements-fy-2012.pdf

Here is the audited financials for 2012. It's all hidden in the Statement of Functional Expense on pages 6 and 7. They make it appear that 80% of expenses is for project services, but that is done by "fudging" the numbers. They can send out a newsletter that is mainly for fundraising purposes, but because of the newsletter it is allocated between project services and fundraising. Look close at the total column on page 7. There is $140,728,895 in expenses and roughly $103,440,520 accounted for is REALLY for fundraising and administrative costs. That is 73.5% , which means only 26.5% is being spent for the organizations true purpose. A far cry from the 82.8% they claim. Not very efficient in my book.