SaltyCajun.com http://www.lmcboats.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 03-07-2018, 09:55 PM
Flounder

Cash: 459
Default Dissecting the marsh....?

Just picking some brains about picking apart the marsh on charts.....
What's everyone looking for when it comes to picking specific ponds or bayous when in search of redfish. What makes one stand out from another?

Picture is not of an actual productive spot, just for reference.
Old 03-08-2018, 09:24 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 417

I look for either choke points where tide will push bait fish in or out. Or cuts and points with a transition close, like a channel with oyster reef on the side, or a mud flat.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Old 03-09-2018, 05:04 PM
Redfish

Cash: 1,091

Also, look for "new" marsh. Use Google Earth (the program not Google maps web site) at the top of the screen is an icon that looks like a clock, click on it and it opens a slider that lets you move back and forth between the most recent and older imagery. When I find areas that were fairly recently solid marsh that are now open water I fish them, even if it's just points that have eroded away. There's usually still root mass and stubble from teh previous vegetation and redfish absolutely love that stuff. It's kind of bitter sweet, it's a great way to find fish but breaks my heart to see how quick the marsh is dissappearing.
Old 03-09-2018, 09:15 PM
Flounder

Cash: 459

I def. agree. I have done this in the past. Works well, no matter where I'm fishing. I will use every tool I can. With the satellite imagery charts on my gps on the boat and pre-gaming on my computer, it def. helps me navigate safer and allows me to pinpoint some great spots. Thanks for the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redchaserron View Post
Also, look for "new" marsh. Use Google Earth (the program not Google maps web site) at the top of the screen is an icon that looks like a clock, click on it and it opens a slider that lets you move back and forth between the most recent and older imagery. When I find areas that were fairly recently solid marsh that are now open water I fish them, even if it's just points that have eroded away. There's usually still root mass and stubble from teh previous vegetation and redfish absolutely love that stuff. It's kind of bitter sweet, it's a great way to find fish but breaks my heart to see how quick the marsh is dissappearing.
Old 04-26-2018, 08:36 AM
Sand Trout

Cash: 460

Fishing the marsh in my kayak, I have found that sometimes the reds also like to get as far up in a dead end pond or cut as they can. Apparently they can trap the bait against the grass lines and gorge themselves. Usually they will be in a foot of water or less in those situations, depending on the tide. But they can be picky and skittish in that shallow water.