SaltyCajun.com http://www.braggingbadges.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Freshwater Fishing Discussion > Freshwater Fishing Reports

Freshwater Fishing Reports Read and share fishing reports for your favorite freshwater spots here

Old 02-01-2013, 10:42 AM
Great White

Cash: 2,738

I say a dam but it is just a spillway...once the water gets to a point it drains over the levy into the canal on the other side of the lake. It is right by the wooden peir to your left if your in a boat.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:54 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 672

yea yea yea i get ya now i remember now i used to go back there by truck and on the other side of lake martin there this canal tha ends up in vermillion river i think tha canal comes from a lock cux i was told people usually go there by boat for catfish. but now i get where ur saying and yea that is pretty much where i ususally fish around tha area which u call the north banks
Old 02-01-2013, 10:59 AM
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingonewild View Post
yea yea yea i get ya now i remember now i used to go back there by truck and on the other side of lake martin there this canal tha ends up in vermillion river i think tha canal comes from a lock cux i was told people usually go there by boat for catfish. but now i get where ur saying and yea that is pretty much where i ususally fish around tha area which u call the north banks
Yeah you can get in that canal from the river....the lock is a ways the canal past lake martin by hwy 31. Good spot to go frogging.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:02 AM
Tripletail

but what i dont understand is why its so tough to fish for sac a lait in lake martin cux the way i see it they got everything in that lake tha can produce good sac a lait like millions of cyepress trees underwater trees and stumps grass beds , water lilys shades, deep spots but those sac a lait are really really hard to find when it comes to a great day of fishing. some friends of mine told me that the water is tooo clear that they get spook too easy and they said best to fish before sun rise or sun set or during the night under a full moon. but me i rather be out there on a nice day with little to no wind. even i tried around the duck blinds but uusally that wud be better during the summer but not very often they wud be around them duck blinds in the middle of the lake.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:04 AM
Great White

It is a tricky lake to master but the old timers fill up ice chests....gotta put in the time to find the sweet spots. Took me 10 years to find areas that produce on a regular basis. After the spring I leave it alone for sacalait....I do much better in the basin.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:09 AM
Tripletail

lol speaking of the basin... u heard of mama pond. im still learning my way around the basin... i usually go to mama pond when the river stage falls down to like 5 foot or less...
Old 02-01-2013, 11:12 AM
Great White

Yes I fish mommas pond....I rather fish around gravenburg or charenton on that side of the basin. I mostly fish henderson and bayous to the east. Fausse point can be good during the spring too but the water is high and muddy almost everywhere in the basin right now.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:17 AM
Tripletail

i know that what is making me walk back and forth diggin myself into the ground thinking of where can i go fishing while the water in the basin start falling but now mardi gras is coming up so im gonna be caught up with taking the family to parades on the weekends hoping it wud keep my mind off from fishing for sac a lait if the water is still high in the basin.. i usually go to henderson too but dunno if the water wud be clearing up by then in the texco canal. also i usually go to faussie point cux a buddy of mine loves to go there very often and we usually do well in fauisse point but yea water is high in faussie point too
Old 02-01-2013, 11:19 AM
Great White

LOL I hear ya....the freshwater fishing bug hit me bad this year after a terrible hunting season. Henderson is muddy.....butte la rose canal should clear up first.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:27 AM
Tripletail

well i dont usually do well in bute la rose cux i tried all over in bute la rose and only came out with one sac a lait i must be hitting the wrong spots in there.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:35 AM
Ling

Cash: 3,167

[QUOTE=fishingonewild;543811]north bank is when u go straight across from boat launch right? QUOTE]

I found this amusing, sorry
Old 02-01-2013, 11:36 AM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgizzle View Post
I knew I heard 10" somewheres that's why I didn't keep em other day. I threw bass back for reason you stated. They were in 2' of water and egged up so I figured that. I may go tomorrow afternoon to check the strength of battery and finish running ethanol fuel out.

No size limits, D'arbonne up in N La recently reduced from 50 to a 25 creel limit, despite no reason.....nevermind
Old 02-01-2013, 11:50 AM
Tripletail

[quote=Duck Butter;543854]
Quote:
north bank is when u go straight across from boat launch right? QUOTE]

I found this amusing, sorry
i find it funny too cux i admit im dumb when it comes to locating spots in a lake or so and yea its funny to me to say tha so tha why i depend on my lowrance with gps on it to find my spots lol.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:59 PM
Ling

[quote=fishingonewild;543859]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Butter View Post

i find it funny too cux i admit im dumb when it comes to locating spots in a lake or so and yea its funny to me to say tha so tha why i depend on my lowrance with gps on it to find my spots lol.
I will be out there next week an afternoon or two as well. We did well last year in the snags right across the boat ramp in 4' of water. That would be the west side! Blue/white jig, but there is an old man that fishes about 200 days a year out there and you will see him in an old Ford pickup on the side of the road catching grass shrimp. He is a hoot if you talk to him. Anyways, those fish are spooky because its a shallow lake but that means the lake heats up earlier in the spring = spawn earlier.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:20 PM
Tripletail

[quote=Duck Butter;543888]
Quote:

I will be out there next week an afternoon or two as well. We did well last year in the snags right across the boat ramp in 4' of water. That would be the west side! Blue/white jig, but there is an old man that fishes about 200 days a year out there and you will see him in an old Ford pickup on the side of the road catching grass shrimp. He is a hoot if you talk to him. Anyways, those fish are spooky because its a shallow lake but that means the lake heats up earlier in the spring = spawn earlier.

that why i missed it last year in the spring cux a buddy of mine said they were tearing them up so i finally had a chance to go which was like in end of march or april but end up missing out on the spawning cux only caught two or three nice ones but this year im ready as ever to be sure to go earlier there and yea i have seen that old ford almost every time i go there. but i dont go too often... also lol good one on the part of the west side lol. blue and white does me well but i also wanna try the clear tube too to see if they wud hit on that as well... have u caught any big slabs in there yet. cux i have seen some big slabs being caught even my buddy caught him a 2 pounder last year and i seen it myself. if u get to go please let me know so i wudnt miss out again like i did last year.....
Old 02-01-2013, 02:27 PM
Ling

[quote=fishingonewild;543892]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Butter View Post

that why i missed it last year in the spring cux a buddy of mine said they were tearing them up so i finally had a chance to go which was like in end of march or april but end up missing out on the spawning cux only caught two or three nice ones but this year im ready as ever to be sure to go earlier there and yea i have seen that old ford almost every time i go there. but i dont go too often... also lol good one on the part of the west side lol. blue and white does me well but i also wanna try the clear tube too to see if they wud hit on that as well... have u caught any big slabs in there yet. cux i have seen some big slabs being caught even my buddy caught him a 2 pounder last year and i seen it myself. if u get to go please let me know so i wudnt miss out again like i did last year.....
If you go when you hear they are biting by word of mouth, you are a week late We caught some decent fish in there, much larger than the average fish that came out of Henderson or other parts of the Atchaf last year.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:33 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 460

No size limit on sacalait in Toledo any more either.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:35 PM
Tripletail

[quote=Duck Butter;543895]
Quote:

If you go when you hear they are biting by word of mouth, you are a week late We caught some decent fish in there, much larger than the average fish that came out of Henderson or other parts of the Atchaf last year.

yea i know that by now lol.... its possible it sud be getting just right by next weekend if the weather doesnt affect it in any way.. im just waiting on one more part i need to get to put on my boat trailer and im ready to get out there. oh yea my grandpa asked me the other day if spanish lake still doing any good i told him i have no clue cux they drained that lake too many times so i stopped going in my younger days he keeps bringing it up cux he said he wud tear up the sac a lait there but he doesnt fish anymore due to age so i was just wondering if anyone hears abt it anymore these days, im gonna put that up on thread... and see if anyone wud answer it.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:07 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,596

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montauk17 View Post
North side is where the dam is....it's not a watch tower just a small wooden peir by the pump. Water is spilling over the water is so high but the current is helping the bite I think.
I agree you saw the liar birds pickin?!!?
Old 02-01-2013, 10:08 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,596

Lame Martin is like joes cove. Enuf said!