SaltyCajun.com http://www.stickemrods.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 11-16-2012, 10:10 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 460

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Butter View Post
Nooooooooo! You don't want that, you don't want that. You show up at 4 am, don't get picked then what? The 'L' word is a bad word
Yes! Lol don't even say that word again
Old 11-16-2012, 10:11 AM
Ling

Cash: 3,167

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcnabb View Post
You would think DU or delta would do something about it. It's some damn good hunting land
Anytime Delta or Du does anything they get criticized If 'they' spent say $1 million on Sabine NWR, the north La and SE La hunters would be up in arms saying they don't hunt there yada yada and why don't 'they' spend more money up in N La, and then you have the guys that think all the money should go to the breeding grounds, so And lord forbid DU or Delta do any work on private land The answer is to get more funding from the federal gov't because these areas are federal refuges, and that is not happening anytime soon unless we print more money which may happen under the second term of Oba.....

It sucks, but we are still fortunate in Louisiana that we have over 1 million acres of state public land that we pay relatively very little for a WMA stamp and can hunt all of it. May be crowded or may not be the best hunting but the other alternative is to get in a lease. We have it better than most states. You can be anywhwere in Louisiana and be within 30 miles max of public hunting.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:15 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,001

#1: Lacassine's money is spent in the impoundment. That is the area managed for the ducks. The area set up for hunting is natural marsh and was never intended to be manipulated for duck hunting/hunters. It is what is.

#2: Delta and DU will not touch, nor be allowed to touch federal lands!

#3: A lottery is the last thing you want to see happen to us! Thanfully, there is no funds to be able to set up and run a lottery system.

Sadly there is also no money for sabine either. Enjoy it while you can or take up golf. That is our only options.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:17 AM
Entering A World of Pain

Cash: 9,543

quit the ya ya ing and take up golf.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:18 AM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by SULPHITE View Post
This man brings great advice to this thread!
Old 11-16-2012, 10:20 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: -747,400

Quote:
"When I hit a ball, I want someone else to go chase it"
Hall of Fame Baseball Player, Roger Hornsby
Old 11-16-2012, 10:21 AM
Entering A World of Pain

awesome courses all around this area...National, L'auberge, Grey, Mallard, Frasch Hell i'll let you play on my tab at Bayou Oaks in Sulphur...lol
Old 11-16-2012, 10:22 AM
Entering A World of Pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spunt Drag View Post
"When I hit a ball, I want someone else to go chase it"
Hall of Fame Baseball Player, Roger Hornsby
best bring some mosquito dope and snake chaps for my tee shots...lol
Old 11-16-2012, 10:23 AM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Hell i'll let you play on my tab at Bayou Oaks in Sulphur...lol
There you go folks, no more face paint and cases of batteries. Can sleep late and everything. I would take this man up on that offer!
Old 11-16-2012, 10:27 AM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feesherman View Post
#1: Lacassine's money is spent in the impoundment. That is the area managed for the ducks. The area set up for hunting is natural marsh and was never intended to be manipulated for duck hunting/hunters. It is what is.

#2: Delta and DU will not touch, nor be allowed to touch federal lands!

#3: A lottery is the last thing you want to see happen to us! Thanfully, there is no funds to be able to set up and run a lottery system.

Sadly there is also no money for sabine either. Enjoy it while you can or take up golf. That is our only options.

This^^, the SW LA refuge complexes are there primarily for wintering waterfowl everything else (the hunting, fishing, etc.) is just a bonus. Here is Lacassine's goals
http://www.fws.gov/refuges/profiles/index.cfm?id=43610

Each NWR has a specific management plan. For instance Tensas NWRs primary focus is for black bears, songbirds, and secondary would be wintering waterfowl. When they work their budgets every year, they have to make sure their management activities will benefit these above species. There are huge deer killed in Tensas NWR every year, but deer management is not one of their goals, however their management for songbirds and bears really helps out the deer but its hard to tell a deer hunter that

When wintering waterfowl is the objective, hunting is allowed but it is specified that so much of the percentage of the acreage must be set aside as a true refuge (no hunting). This is why on D'arbonne, Tensas, etc have areas closed to waterfowl hunting, it jus tis what it is and you would not be able to hunt period if the refuge was not there.

Check out all the public land we have and then look at other states
Attached Images
File Type: png 2011_wma-map1.png (182.6 KB, 150 views)
File Type: jpg chart-louisiana-nwr.jpg (46.9 KB, 151 views)
Old 11-16-2012, 10:29 AM
Ling

go play golf, then stop by the store and pick up some filet mignon and you will still come out cheaper than what you spend on hunting!
Old 11-16-2012, 10:39 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: -747,400

What would be interesting and a real possibility is if we have a 30 and 3 season next year.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:44 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,357

Hey, its just a suggestion. Other area refuges will never open for hunting. The ones open now are over grown/over crowded. Something, somewhere has to give. I've already heard of more boat tampering in lacassine this year and we're not even a full week in! People think these spots belong to them and destroy or steal others property. Where and how do we draw a line?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
Old 11-16-2012, 10:50 AM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshrunner757 View Post
Hey, its just a suggestion. Other area refuges will never open for hunting. The ones open now are over grown/over crowded. Something, somewhere has to give. I've already heard of more boat tampering in lacassine this year and we're not even a full week in! People think these spots belong to them and destroy or steal others property. Where and how do we draw a line?

And this is part of the problem. Folks that think public land belongs to them. Folks that don't have more than one spot. On public deer woods, I have a plan b,c,d,e, and f. Someone is there before me? No biggy, you beat me, it's yours. I'd rather leave the area then huff and puff and sit next to that guy and we both have a crappy hunt. It's the nature of the beast and it would be nice if folks had some respect. But what you got these days is TV hunters! Face paint, barrell stickers, ebay bands all over der lanyard, rock music, and basic feeling of I'm a bada$$ so get out of my way! Like mentioned, when the season gets cut back like it has in the past, the TV duck hunters will go back to golf, bowling, and fishing. And that suits the sheet out of me!!
Old 11-16-2012, 10:55 AM
Red Snapper

That's exactly right!

Old 11-16-2012, 11:05 AM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshrunner757 View Post

It sucks, but the sole purpose those areas are there is for wintering waterfowl and it doesn't matter to the feds if anyone hunts there or not. If it starts getting too silly they will just shut it down and it will not effect them one bit. Didn't they shut down shrimping in Sabine not long ago? Trash or something?
Old 11-16-2012, 11:10 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 2,268

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Butter View Post
It sucks, but the sole purpose those areas are there is for wintering waterfowl and it doesn't matter to the feds if anyone hunts there or not. If it starts getting too silly they will just shut it down and it will not effect them one bit. Didn't they shut down shrimping in Sabine not long ago? Trash or something?
Shut down shrimping from the bank because of trash and by-catch left EVERYWHERE.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:12 AM
Red Snapper

Yes, they sure did. I know we have to accept what we have and be happy we have it. But a little respect in the marsh goes a very long way.

Old 11-16-2012, 11:58 AM
Redfish

Cash: 832

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spunt Drag View Post
True, but lets not forget that the hunting area of Sabine only makes up about a 1/3 of the total refuge. Cameron Prairie and Rockefeller don't allow any waterfowl hunting at all (except for CP youth hunt). These are good areas that could provide good waterfowl opportunities and ease the overcrowding, but it'll never happen. I don't wanna see a lottery but it may be the only way.
Cameron Prairie has the youth lottery hunts, and it's possible that some other lottery hunts could be opened up in the future, but Rockefeller will never be. It can't because of the stipulations that were in the lease agreement when the Rockefeller family leased it over to the State.
Like has been said before, burning Lacassine is a whole different animal compared to Sabine. Different marsh structure and lots more technical problems in just getting equipment and manpower out there, which translates into money of course.
Old 11-16-2012, 12:11 PM
Flounder

Cash: 621

What needs to take place is a lease type system. Everybody pays a certain amount of money, and they designate you to a certain spot. There are plenty of spots at lacassine if it were takin care of properly. There could only be positive out comes of this. 1. Keeping up a great spot to hunt. 2. Everyone will have there own area to hunt, and not next to some sky blasters. 3. The walk/pirogue out there would be so much easier for the guys that hunt it. 4. We wouldn't loose as many birds due to there being less grass. 4. And last since it would be "managed", there still would be grass and canes but not to an extent a duck can't even hit the water. All positives would come of this for a lousy $200 fee. Vs 10k for a rice field blind with people you don't know. I appreciate all the comments guys. Noone means to be rude just a friendly discussion to keep a great place to hunt alive.