SaltyCajun.com http://www.mkacpas.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 07-27-2009, 08:15 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,902
Default Err..evacuate or jail?

So on the weather channel they are discussing that a new law in texas if you are order to evacuate you must, or you go to JAIL....whats yalls oppion on this??????
Old 07-27-2009, 08:27 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 3,546

Do what the hell they tell you to. It's for your own good.

I don't think jail is the answer. I think that if you are told to leave and want to stay, you are on your own. We should not have to send $4000/hr helicopters and crew to get yo sorry, stubborn arse. You stay, your stuck.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:33 PM
Great White

here's my families thing....i've stayed in every hurricane since rita. we live on the river, so we watch the water very closely, we pick everything up below our house as high as we can. But some times the water floods higher than predicted, and we have to hurry and pick the stuff up HIGHER.

Ike for example, we had all up on tables (about 3 ft high) water under my house was like 2 1/2 in. over that. SOO basically if we'd have evacuated we'd lost abunch of stuff.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:41 PM
Blue Marlin

I stayed in Gustav for the same reason. But, if it comes down to needin a chopper to come and get ya, your tables are the least of your concerns!
Old 07-27-2009, 08:46 PM
Great White

i think they put this law in affect as not only for safety, but for looters...but if they lootin they are already breaking the law, so why wouldn't they break this law aswell!

i had another place to stay, high and dry, but it was only 3 1/2 miles up the road, so still didn't evacuate,
Old 07-27-2009, 08:57 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 640

If you stay, you sign a waiver to the fact that you are responsible for your own safety and your own life...We shouldn't have to fork out millions of dollars on people that are just stubborn and refuse to do what is right...it is totally their perogative if they want to stay, but don't go whining and moaning when we don't all pick up and try to come save your butt... But if it is bad enough, Cat 4 or 5, maybe force wouldn't be a bad idea; it would save a lot of headache later and save some lives in the process...
Old 07-27-2009, 09:00 PM
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lake Blondie View Post
If you stay, you sign a waiver to the fact that you are responsible for your own safety and your own life...We shouldn't have to fork out millions of dollars on people that are just stubborn and refuse to do what is right...it is totally their perogative if they want to stay, but don't go whining and moaning when we don't all pick up and try to come save your butt... But if it is bad enough, Cat 4 or 5, maybe force wouldn't be a bad idea; it would save a lot of headache later and save some lives in the process...

see thats the difference, we stay for a REASON...they stay to be stubborn, They complain when they don't get rescued, we dont complain..
Old 07-27-2009, 09:01 PM
Blue Marlin

Quote:
Well said Blondie!
Old 07-27-2009, 09:06 PM
Tripletail

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntin fool View Post
see thats the difference, we stay for a REASON...they stay to be stubborn, They complain when they don't get rescued, we dont complain..
Ya'll know what ya'll are taking on by saying "we're staying" and deal with the consequences if they come...That's respectable and I totally support anyone that want's to do that...But you get some idiots that stay when the Weather Channel, local news and authorities are saying "You will most likely die or be stranded for weeks on end if you stay."...If people are being told stuff like this and stay regardless because some just want to be idiots or, sadly, hope to collect a check, then they need to be prepared to deal with it...
Old 07-27-2009, 09:08 PM
Great White

Quote:
Ya'll know what ya'll are taking on by saying "we're staying" and deal with the consequences if they come...That's respectable and I totally support anyone that want's to do that...But you get some idiots that stay when the Weather Channel, local news and authorities are saying "You will most likely die or be stranded for weeks on end if you stay."...If people are being told stuff like this and stay regardless because some just want to be idiots or, sadly, hope to collect a check, then they need to be prepared to deal with it...

EXACTLY! there are some people who are just stupid, and stay since they think its "cool"
Old 07-27-2009, 09:20 PM
Tripletail

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntin fool View Post
EXACTLY! there are some people who are just stupid, and stay since they think its "cool"
Screw cool! If it's a Cat 3, I'm nervous and possibly leaving...Cat 4 or 5, I choose life! I'm out of here, especially when professionals are saying get the heck out of dodge...My husband wanted to stay here during Rita and I made him leave to go to Baton Rouge...They got hit too, but not head on like over here...We live near WAY too many trees and had LOTS of damage in our neighborhood...Talked to some that did stay and they said never again...The worse trauma they have ever experienced and didn't want to do it again...I don't want to know what it feels like to go through a Cat 4 or 5...There are some things that can be left to the imagination and that's one of them...
Old 07-27-2009, 09:39 PM
Great White

well, my house is on 10 ft peirs, so just for safety, we stay 3 miles up the road (dry brick house) and continuesly check on the house, after the storm, we drive the boat to the house and work
Old 07-27-2009, 09:56 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427
Default Evacuating

I personally think that evacuating is a money racket. I'm not going anywhere, my wife works at a hospital so I may stay the worse part there, then back to my house with the natural gas generator.
Old 07-27-2009, 10:10 PM
Flounder

Cash: 650
Dance

First pic rita Second pic ike not much choice i have to go!
i just dont go far. I live as the crow flies 25miles off the coast
for rita i was not set up. lesson learned ike nat.gas genorator 12' off the ground
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hurricane Rita 9-05 007.jpg (95.9 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg ike 074.jpg (97.7 KB, 114 views)
Old 07-28-2009, 10:17 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 1,334

If I have to go who will be incharge of Looting????????????????
Old 07-28-2009, 03:23 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 650

I am not very happy with this new law. I agree, that if you stay the taxpayers should not have to pay to rescue you. I live on a river about 3 miles from the coast, and feel that I am capable of making the final decision.

I don't like being forced to leave, to let any thug do as they please.

The other main problem I have is the fact that if you leave, you don't know when you may get back in.

So many of the damaged houses during storms could of been saved if the people were let back in to pull the carpets and cut out the wet sheetrock. I know there are safety issues involved, but I am willing to release the Govt. and others of any responsibility just so I can do what is neccessary to save my property. The longer it sets, the more likey you have to completely rebuild, its not that hard to figure out just look around.

I evacuated for Ike and Rita, because it looked like they were going to hit us hard. Fortunately, for us they went in far enough east that it did not do much damage around here except for some high water.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:35 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,217

I lost my roof in Rita. My and a friend snuck back in and covered up the house with everything we could find. But it didn't rain again for a couple weeks, but we didn't know that.
I didn't leave for Gustav or Ike. I live close to Contraband Bayou, but no where close to flooding. My dad and I installed a natural gas generator on his house and it worked well for 4 days and nights for Ike.
I won't leave unless it is a Cat. 4 or 5.
Old 07-28-2009, 09:48 PM
Tripletail

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Little View Post
If I have to go who will be incharge of Looting????????????????
Better look out, these boys might get ya...this IS how we play down here...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg drunks with guns.jpg (52.1 KB, 22 views)
Old 07-28-2009, 09:51 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,217

Same here. After Ike, I was mowing the grass and picking up branches, raking leaves with a big a$$ed revolver on my hip. The Guard patrol just laughed and shook their heads. The camo boys also hit my bbq pit pretty hard too. I offered them some smoked leg quarters and them boys can eat......
Old 07-28-2009, 09:53 PM
Blue Marlin

Quote:
Better look out, these boys might get ya...this IS how we play down here...
That's how it outa be!!!!