SaltyCajun.com http://www.ccastar.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 09-08-2014, 01:36 PM
Redfish

Cash: 581
Default Help with VBay / SW Pass / Tiger Shoal

Made it out on Saturday, 9/6 for a full day of fishing. We were out at Tiger Shoal for 6:20. We fished half a dozen spots out there where we've raked them in in the past, and we couldn't get a single trout in the boat. Had one speck hooked, and my leader snapped. Made it all the way until noon without a single fish in the box. We made it in to the reefs by the pass, and we managed to pull in 8 keeper trout along with some trash fish and smaller trout (over about 2 hours). I've been fishing my whole life, but I'm new to Vbay. Although I love any advice people are willing to give, here's what I'm really interested in. I've made six trips offshore to Tiger Shoal. Two of the times, we came close to limiting out. Two times we had a nice fat mess, which was more than enough to keep me happy. The other two, we got skunked. The first time I chalked it up to wind, since we had 2-3 foot seas. This time, it was like glass and we still weren't catching. By all indications, it should have been a great day for fishing. The tide was moving pretty quick and the water clarity wasn't bad. We fished artificial (of various colors) on bottom, in the middle, and top under a popping cork. I can't figure out why the fish weren't biting offshore. I'd love any advice people can give about when the fishing is good offshore and why it might have been bad this past Saturday. Thanks, folks!
Old 09-08-2014, 01:44 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,686

I haven't yet heard any reports but from what I have heard and read on normal years by this time of the year the offshore trout have started moving in to the reefs right outside the pass and if there is salty water in the bay into the bay itself.

Of course this year was very late with everything. We normally start catching fish offshore as early as May and this year we didn't do any good offshore until July....

Last edited by Crawl79; 09-08-2014 at 02:07 PM.
Old 09-08-2014, 01:54 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,733

Welcome to vermillion bay. thats not uncommon. Some \times one spot will be productive for a while and then nothing for a week. Everything there gets muddy, at the thought of the wind blowing, Im no expert but I fish there quite a bit and is frustrating to say the least. There are a handful of guys that are consistent but not that many. GO back to that same place with the same conditions and you may smash em.
Old 09-08-2014, 02:44 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,103

I certainly am no expert in VB, however the above post that refers to trout on the transition maybe very valid. I have caught a few single trout this summer in the Bay however I checked my log book and was already wearing them out this time last year inside. I have hung it up for the last two weeks, as this is a tough time of year and have pecked away at the reds all summer. My best guess that after this front coming this weekend will begin to trigger some hungry trout inside to begin to eat.
I have scratched more in VB than have caught, it is tough and many folks just don't advertise the hot spots. I have had to learn, study and go and try to figure out what works for my style of fishing. Hang in there, and you too will continue to learn, as I am still doing, only been fishing the area for just over 3 years now, and still come home with an empty box, when they are supposed to be biting!
Old 09-08-2014, 02:57 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,733

Quote:
Originally Posted by yigodiver View Post
I certainly am no expert in VB, however the above post that refers to trout on the transition maybe very valid. I have caught a few single trout this summer in the Bay however I checked my log book and was already wearing them out this time last year inside. I have hung it up for the last two weeks, as this is a tough time of year and have pecked away at the reds all summer. My best guess that after this front coming this weekend will begin to trigger some hungry trout inside to begin to eat.
I have scratched more in VB than have caught, it is tough and many folks just don't advertise the hot spots. I have had to learn, study and go and try to figure out what works for my style of fishing. Hang in there, and you too will continue to learn, as I am still doing, only been fishing the area for just over 3 years now, and still come home with an empty box, when they are supposed to be biting!
X2
Old 09-08-2014, 03:04 PM
Great White

Cash: 2,738

Only time I can duplicate a trip is in the fall for trout. Any other time it is hit or miss. Mostly miss.....Now if you after redfish they are easy to catch once your learn the productive areas.
Old 09-08-2014, 03:24 PM
Redfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawl79 View Post
I haven't yet heard any reports but from what I have heard and read on normal years by this time of the year the offshore trout have started moving in to the reefs right outside the pass and if there is salty water in the bay into the bay itself.

Of course this year was very late with everything. We normally start catching fish offshore as early as May and this year we didn't do any good offshore until July....
Has anybody been catching them in the bay this early? Typically we do fine once we get past the pass. The reefs were obviously more productive this weekend than offshore, which I still can't figure out. Last weekend we smashed em offshore. This weekend nothing in the same spots, and the weather was better this time. I haven't tried the bay in a couple of months, but when I'm cruising by, I assume the fish aren't biting in that chocolate milk.
Old 09-08-2014, 03:39 PM
Tripletail

Quote:
Originally Posted by legallimits View Post
Has anybody been catching them in the bay this early? Typically we do fine once we get past the pass. The reefs were obviously more productive this weekend than offshore, which I still can't figure out. Last weekend we smashed em offshore. This weekend nothing in the same spots, and the weather was better this time. I haven't tried the bay in a couple of months, but when I'm cruising by, I assume the fish aren't biting in that chocolate milk.
I haven't tried in the bay yet, it all depends on the salinity. Like you we have been doing good offshore. And of course I am no expert in the bay just starting fishing it in last few years but just because its chocolate on top does not mean its dirty below. Watch your prop wash to see that kind of water is coming up.
Old 09-08-2014, 04:34 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 556

Word form the trout telegraph in the levill /fourchon / grand isle area is that the in migration has just started in the last 7 days.
Old 09-08-2014, 05:48 PM
Great White

Cash: 2,738

I caught trout inside the bay as early as july last summer. It is a grind though,lots of casting and not many bites. As soon as we get one or two strong fronts it should be good. Muddy or fresh water does not affect them much in the fall. They are done spawning and more interested stuffing their face.
Old 09-08-2014, 05:54 PM
Redfish

Once the trout move into the bay, how long do they typically stick around?
Old 09-08-2014, 05:59 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,563

Quote:
Once the trout move into the bay, how long do they typically stick around?
I've caught them into January. All depends on the weather and water conditions. Years ago during a couple year drought the catching never stopped into the next spring. That is rare though. I'd say by end of the year most of the time. December gets a little spotty. October and November are best months.
Old 09-08-2014, 06:10 PM
Tripletail

Quote:
Originally Posted by redaddiction View Post
I've caught them into January. All depends on the weather and water conditions. Years ago during a couple year drought the catching never stopped into the next spring. That is rare though. I'd say by end of the year most of the time. December gets a little spotty. October and November are best months.

What he said but all depends on river stage.
Old 09-08-2014, 06:42 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,563

It's sure taking a long time to get salty this year too!
Old 09-08-2014, 07:09 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,679

We also scratch out not one keeper only trash fish, we went out to the pass and just drive around lol.
Old 09-08-2014, 07:19 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,939

Quote:
Originally Posted by redaddiction View Post
It's sure taking a long time to get salty this year too!
Yeah, the river has been below 9 for a month minimum and we are still a a salinity of 3. My opinion, i look for clarity over salinity in the fall pattern.

Tiger shoals, since i have a smaller boat i don't make it out there that often. Trips are weather dependent. Been twice this year and had a total of 5 trout in the boat so i am still learning to fish this area.

Trout should be moving on the inside now. A few people have been catching. water was surprisingly good on Saturday. With the low winds foretasted this week there should be some good catches on the inside this weekend.
Old 09-09-2014, 10:16 AM
Flounder

Cash: 310

ive fished vb/sw pass for years...look up "scankdog" on rodnreel reports for my history over the years....speaks for itself....

here's what you need to follow for this area....it is pretty much the same for many areas but here its a little more hit or miss because of the Atchafalaya river....

1st, the atch. river needs to fall and hold preferably under 10ft(I prefer under 8ft) and for at least a month so the saltwater in this area can back up and head north for trout to follow the bait in which bait moves with the saltwater leveling up....with the exception of reds(year round)

2nd , you need to really use the moon times for overhead and underfoot....find those times and fish

3rd, with experience of this area, you need to understand which wind directions will cause which areas to dirty and clean up and which are calm and wont be calm based on the wind....mostly though if you fish the pass, tee butte, diamond, the keys, then the best wind is a west wind over days or just light and variable winds in general are great if other factors are good mentioned below....westerly winds over a period of time does well for that area...but you get north winds as fall comes in and that lite and variable north wind that shifts from west are great fishing times....later in the fall if you get an easterly wind or north wind...cove area and trash pile areas are great simply because like the others youll have calmer and cleaner water...

4th, learn the dam areas at marsh island and go cast net first for live shrimp and mullet....I use both under a cork and Carolina rigged...I find if they are not on top they will be on the bottom lol...I find that plastics can be useful when shrimp are not moving into the bay area esp during the fall or late spring, early summer when the salt levels are lower, I don't know where your previous experiences were at but here you have to be vigilant about changing colors until you find the one they want and working them at different depths also....

5th....as you know find when the tide will drop,,,,,best time for me.....or just moving water(you know how that goes).....

hope this helps..tight ones...
Old 09-09-2014, 11:14 AM
Redfish

Cash: 879

Quote:
Made it out on Saturday, 9/6 for a full day of fishing. We were out at Tiger Shoal for 6:20. We fished half a dozen spots out there where we've raked them in in the past, and we couldn't get a single trout in the boat. Had one speck hooked, and my leader snapped. Made it all the way until noon without a single fish in the box. We made it in to the reefs by the pass, and we managed to pull in 8 keeper trout along with some trash fish and smaller trout (over about 2 hours). I've been fishing my whole life, but I'm new to Vbay. Although I love any advice people are willing to give, here's what I'm really interested in. I've made six trips offshore to Tiger Shoal. Two of the times, we came close to limiting out. Two times we had a nice fat mess, which was more than enough to keep me happy. The other two, we got skunked. The first time I chalked it up to wind, since we had 2-3 foot seas. This time, it was like glass and we still weren't catching. By all indications, it should have been a great day for fishing. The tide was moving pretty quick and the water clarity wasn't bad. We fished artificial (of various colors) on bottom, in the middle, and top under a popping cork. I can't figure out why the fish weren't biting offshore. I'd love any advice people can give about when the fishing is good offshore and why it might have been bad this past Saturday. Thanks, folks!
Don't know what the deal was Saturday but we did pretty decent out there on Sunday. Started in the Pass and caught a handful. Ran further south mid morning and picked away at them. It wasn't fast and furious and we had to work for them but ended up close to a 2 man limit. Patience was key for us. The bite was extremely soft and they wanted a very slow retrieve.....and I mean VERY SLOW. Worked it quick and it was all gaftops and ladyfish. Slow retrieve on bottom and we caught specks. I do believe they are beginning their fall transition though. Don't think they will be offshore much longer. Good luck.
Old 09-09-2014, 03:19 PM
Redfish

You guys have been great. I'm looking forward to fishing in the bay. That we save quite a bit of time and money from running all the way offshore.

I haven't fished them yet, but I've been able to gather most of the coordinates for the reefs/community holes around Cypremort. Has anyone had any luck on the West side of the bay, either this year or in years past? Anything around the Redfish Point area?
Old 09-09-2014, 07:36 PM
Redfish

Cash: 826

Redfish and flounder ,Late fall around the redfish point area