SaltyCajun.com http://www.mkacpas.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 05-28-2009, 10:21 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 650
Default Help me figure out what boat to buy

Heres the situation and what I'd like to find. I'm in lake charles, and want to fish a little of everything to keep it interesting. My background: not new to fishing or boating, but not terribly experienced at either and I've never owned a powered boat.

I'm primarily interested in the catching something to cook aspect of fishing. To me that means crabbing and shrimping is nearly as important as landing reds and specks. I'm not as worried about performance as utility. Secondary concerns are the capacity to take 4 people out on occasion, the price, max wet weight of 5000lb, and being able to fish backwaters/ less fished areas.

From what I've learned so far I should be looking at two different types of boats, bay boats and flat aluminum boats. I'd like to stick to used but still safe/won't strand me. From what I can tell/guess 5-10yr old boats should be the best fit.

So with all of that in mind I'm looking at 18-22' bay boats which seem to run 5-15k in the age range, and I'd like to stick in the lower half of that. The advantages (again my learning on-the-fly guess) are being able to handle ugly weather on big lake and the ability to wander out in the gulf a little (different fish to cook).

The second choice, a 16-20' jon, can get me into Lacassine if Im under 25hp, is easier to haul around, and provides me better access to backwaters. The downfalls are no capacity for 4 people, and no big lake on windy days. Ideally I'd like to stick in the 3-5k range for these.

So with all of that please correct me where I'm wrong or missing something, and if I'm missing a third option please let me know. I have a fair idea of where to fish and crab, but I've never shrimped before and would love insight into that. Also if you've seen the perfect boat for sale, please point me in that direction.

Thanks for the help!
Old 05-28-2009, 10:25 PM
Great White

Cash: 3,391

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratfusion View Post
Heres the situation and what I'd like to find. I'm in lake charles, and want to fish a little of everything to keep it interesting. My background: not new to fishing or boating, but not terribly experienced at either and I've never owned a powered boat.

I'm primarily interested in the catching something to cook aspect of fishing. To me that means crabbing and shrimping is nearly as important as landing reds and specks. I'm not as worried about performance as utility. Secondary concerns are the capacity to take 4 people out on occasion, the price, [SIZE=3]max wet weight of 5000lb[/SIZE], and being able to fish backwaters/ less fished areas.

From what I've learned so far I should be looking at two different types of boats, bay boats and flat aluminum boats. I'd like to stick to used but still safe/won't strand me. From what I can tell/guess 5-10yr old boats should be the best fit.

So with all of that in mind I'm looking at 18-22' bay boats which seem to run 5-15k in the age range, and I'd like to stick in the lower half of that. The advantages (again my learning on-the-fly guess) are being able to handle ugly weather on big lake and the ability to wander out in the gulf a little (different fish to cook).

The second choice, a 16-20' jon, can get me into Lacassine if Im under 25hp, is easier to haul around, and provides me better access to backwaters. The downfalls are no capacity for 4 people, and no big lake on windy days. Ideally I'd like to stick in the 3-5k range for these.

So with all of that please correct me where I'm wrong or missing something, and if I'm missing a third option please let me know. I have a fair idea of where to fish and crab, but I've never shrimped before and would love insight into that. Also if you've seen the perfect boat for sale, please point me in that direction.

Thanks for the help!

I doubt that will be an issue.
Old 05-28-2009, 10:29 PM
Banned

this should get good......

there are options in your price range, but if you've never owned this size boat before, you don't want something your constantly working on and pouring cash into.
Old 05-28-2009, 10:40 PM
Sand Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaAngler View Post
this should get good......

there are options in your price range, but if you've never owned this size boat before, you don't want something your constantly working on and pouring cash into.
I'm open to the suggestion that its a bad idea and I need to spend more, or look for less. I just ask that its explained why.
Old 05-28-2009, 10:46 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,152

I friend of mine has 22' Center console xpress for sale. I have fished with him in large bays, lakes but also bass fished in grass ponds with 1' of water. Could be a great fit for you. I know it is fairly new and know it has a Yamaha on it. Let me know if your interested and I will get you in touch with him.
Old 05-28-2009, 10:48 PM
Banned

my first thought is to suggest that you go with your second option first, a small boat, until you get a feel for what type of fishing you'll be doing most, we need to figure out what you are gonna do in this boat 80% of the time.

if that is fish big lake, then it would make more sense to move up to a v hull, only problem is if you get an 18, you'll just want a 22 within a year.

this is a tough one.......

keep in mind that during the summer and fall you can catch all the reds and specks you want without ever going into big lake.
Old 05-28-2009, 10:59 PM
Sand Trout

Quote:
keep in mind that during the summer and fall you can catch all the reds and specks you want without ever going into big lake.
Thats what I've had to learn fishing from shore. I'd like to be able to get back into those spots with a boat too, since I'm more familiar with fishing those.
Old 05-28-2009, 11:09 PM
Banned

Default boat

alright hope you like her, this is what you need......

or something like it....40 hours, under warranty, not a 22 but will be much easier on fuel........

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/20...0-BAY-95092407
Old 05-28-2009, 11:21 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,618

Quote:

where would that be? i'll need to find this place with my jon boat lol

ratfusion..how about a nice used 21ft carolina skiff DLV???
Old 05-28-2009, 11:23 PM
Sand Trout

Quote:
alright hope you like her, this is what you need......

or something like it....40 hours, under warranty, not a 22 but will be much easier on fuel........

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/20...0-BAY-95092407
I looked at something like that but a 2000, for 9k. I'm still stumped as to where the sweet spot for reliability vs depreciation is. Whats my target age range for value without major worries about reliability?

I had another potentially useful thought as well, I'd rather stick on the cheaper side of things this summer, and look at spending in that price range in the winter or next year. I'm assuming I'll eventually want both types of boat anyhow. My biggest problem with a jon boat is not being able to take friends, maybe something that could handle 3 people would be a good stop-gap.
Old 05-29-2009, 12:43 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: -189

ill sell u a 19 foot jon boat with a 40 on it..
Old 05-29-2009, 12:51 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,503

cant beat the boat. has your length for big water and the tunnel will let you run shallow when needed. plus it has a yamahama
http://www.boattrader.com/listing/19...assic-95085353
Old 05-29-2009, 12:55 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,503

also this boat is pretty much a steal. with the ox66 and the accessories it has on it its well worth the money.http://www.boattrader.com/listing/20...-Boat-10956140
Old 05-29-2009, 08:52 AM
Banned

problem with getting a flat boat these days is the lack of good tiller engines, the 3 cylinder short shaft 2 stroke merc/tohatsu/yammy 40's and 25's are gone. might keep an eye out in the thrifty nickel and american press for one of these type of rigs.
Old 05-29-2009, 09:13 AM
Entering A World of Pain

Cash: 9,549

Start with a flats boat (jon) get used to the boat, you can pick your days on big lake...then you can figure out what you want in a bay boat later...spend cheap right now and buy expensive later...then you'll have both boats available.
The cops are the experts on the current criminal trends. If they have determined that a “high capacity” semiautomatic pistol and a .223 semiautomatic rifle with 30-round magazines are the best firearms for them to use to protect people like me and my family, they are obviously the best things for us to use to protect ourselves and our families .
Old 05-29-2009, 12:43 PM
Sand Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by SULPHITE View Post
Start with a flats boat (jon) get used to the boat, you can pick your days on big lake...then you can figure out what you want in a bay boat later...spend cheap right now and buy expensive later...then you'll have both boats available.
Thats what I'm leaning towards right now. Seems that for everything I want to do I'll need both boats eventually.
Old 05-29-2009, 01:24 PM
Redfish

Just don't tell the Wife/Girlfriend the plan, I did it the same way i have a 14 Jon boat with a 40 , 19 foot with 150 hp and Now a 37 foot 1964 Chris Craft. She said "No more boats, Are you will be sleeping in it", that why I bought the Chris Craft.
Old 05-29-2009, 02:05 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,902

ratfusion..i have the perfect boat (my dad does) for you!

Its a 17 ft aluminum boat with a steering console, with a 50 yamaha.

this boat is a G3 coastal, which means that its rigged for saltwater (heavy wire, trolling motor) This boat has been used maybe 15-20 times MAX! its 2 years old and in like new shape!! You can basically use it for freshwater/saltwater, we use it for big lake. It is in the shape of like a bass boat, but is for saltwater! Email me at X1riverrat05@aol.com for details/pics/price.
It's a semi V aluminum boat, Yamaha made the boat, but they have quit making them now.
thanks!
Old 05-29-2009, 02:23 PM
Entering A World of Pain

Cash: 9,549

Nice pitch....Fool you gettin any commission??? Sounds like a good starter rig though!
The cops are the experts on the current criminal trends. If they have determined that a “high capacity” semiautomatic pistol and a .223 semiautomatic rifle with 30-round magazines are the best firearms for them to use to protect people like me and my family, they are obviously the best things for us to use to protect ourselves and our families .
Old 05-29-2009, 02:26 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,902

its an awesome boat! i started with it...but some how i got down sized? hmm.

i could sell a glass of ice cold water to an eskamoo..lol!

but yes its an awesome boat!

it has - depth finder,live well,built in seat icechest,2 stoarge things, rod box, and a minn kota rip tide (55 i think)