SaltyCajun.com http://www.gator-tail.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 11-01-2010, 02:22 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,763
Default To Buy or Build 1st home

Fellas. I'm sure many of you have tossed this around enough and some have gone through building and buying. This will be our first home to own and I am considering building over buying. I have the resources to subcontract the home myself. Anyone have any pros and cons of building vs buying especially w/ all the restrictions here locally (south lake charles area). Any idea as far as price per square foot, archi.tect/engineers recommendable, etc. Any idea what can be saved subcontracting vs contracting? Thanks
Old 11-01-2010, 02:26 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 908

We're in the process of building right now, just started a couple weeks ago. I much prefer building because you can get what you want, where you want it for cheaper than buying it somewhere.
Old 11-01-2010, 02:34 PM
King Mackeral

do you have a contractor or you subing out yourself?
Old 11-01-2010, 02:43 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 908

I have a contractor, we're using Manuel Builders out of Lafayette.
Old 11-01-2010, 05:49 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 5,316

how many sqft are you thinking of building? do you have ANY construction knowledge and the time to be on the job? if you want i can give you some help as far as schld. and certian steps that are necessary. planning is key. every day that house sits w/o someone working on it is money down the drain. but if you think you can find an area that is growing where you can find a decent priced lot and you can dedicate time daily to your project then go for it , building your own home is a great way top have instant equity in your new home. right now im the project manager for 6 new homes any where from 2500 sqft - 7000 sqft , and i still have 2 interior trim crews that have 3-7 houses goin on at all times and a framing crew sometimes a second framing crew depending on work load ......so yes you can do it you just have to be very organized. pm me and ill give you my number if you want
Old 11-01-2010, 09:59 PM
King Mackeral

I'll shoot you a pm. Do you know where i can find house plans that have incorporated the new windzone codes? or do i just have to have it modified?
Old 11-01-2010, 10:18 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 2,192

Was in a 7000 sq ft home today.....electric bill averaged 300 mth last year........nice place!!! Well insulated!!!
Old 11-02-2010, 07:08 AM
Blue Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Kahunaz View Post
I'll shoot you a pm. Do you know where i can find house plans that have incorporated the new windzone codes? or do i just have to have it modified?
For some reason I can't open my pm on the iPhone as far as windzone you just tell who ever is drawing your house to revise it. Also there are slot of new products as far as house sheeting that is for windzones that can save u $
Old 11-02-2010, 07:29 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 654

I agree with Pox. I have subbed out 2 of my houses and you need to be available alot if you are going to sub it out yourself. Not every minute of everyday but will need you or someone readly available to go to the house at any time during the day. The subs will have questions/problems if you are not there to fix/answer then they cant continue. That being said you shouldn't have to hard of a time to get them to your house now because alot of them are not exteremly busy now. If you compare apples to apples on pricing you will save money over buying or hiring a contractor. But when you are doing it yourself people tend to go with more of the upgrades because they are saving money doing it themselves. In the end most dont save a whole lot contracting the house out themselves but end up with more house/extras for around the same price. Not saying everyone does this but more often than not that is what happens. I had alot of fun doing it myself and would do it acain in a heartbeat if I wouldnt have to move all of my crap from one house to another.
Old 11-04-2010, 02:33 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 650

Look for the type of house in the location you want...there are sweet deals to be had. If not available, then build. We built and I was the one man cleanup crew...my advice I give to everyone is to use the same crew for paint that you used for sheetrock. What I hear from neighbor's..."oh we plan to paint ourselves", but let me tell you, I have yet to see anyone with energy left to paint after building.
Old 11-04-2010, 03:38 PM
King Mackeral

Thx for the advice....waiting on the floor plans to come in. Then go from there.... I've learned a ton in just one week.....just wanna make sure this thing doesn't go overboard$$$$

This is what we've chose:

http://www.houseplans.com/1892-square-feet-3-bedroom-2-bathroom-Southern-House-Plans-2-garage-(20457)

Basic quote was 89.52 per square foot....but that was using a market analysis approach by this company. Sound right?

I'm thinking of having it framed and blacked in to get it out of the elements....then contracting the rest out myself...I've got a relative who'll give me contractors discount on the lumber. And does 5.85 per square foot to frame it in reasonable?
Old 11-04-2010, 03:48 PM
King Mackeral

Default Plan

home1.gif

home3.jpg

home4.jpg

BASICS Levels 1 Bedrooms 3 Potential Bedrooms 0 Baths 2 Garage Stalls 2 STYLES Southern house plans , Traditional house plans DESIGNER NOTES
FEATURES
  • covered front porch
  • split bedrooms
  • storage area
  • great room/living room
  • covered rear porch
  • kitchen island
  • walk-in closet
  • peninsula/eating bar
  • side-entry garage
  • bonus/play/flex room
  • nook/breakfast area/dining
  • suited for corner lot
  • open floor plan

DIMENSIONS Width 58' Depth 66' Height
SQUARE FOOTAGE Heated Square Footage 1892 Main Floor 1892 Garage 557 Porch 313 Bonus 313 WALL INFORMATION Exterior Wall Constr 2"x4" CEILING HEIGHTS Ceiling Main 9 FOUNDATIONS Slab
Old 11-04-2010, 03:54 PM
King Mackeral

I'm thinking about running plumbing up to the bonus room for a 1/2 bath.

@ Donzi: funny you said that! I was speaking with a contractor the other day and i was asked the same question about painting and i answered with the same reply " I plan on painting myself" and she let me have it! Her argument was the quality of the paint job and it being what people entering a home for the first time notice first. but i too think its kinda like a mechanic telling someone they should bring it in when the person w/ a little time and willingness to learn and experiment could do it himself. But the saying is: time is money!
Old 11-04-2010, 04:05 PM
Banned

That's a nice looking plan. Doesn't look like much of a turning radius into the garage in the front elevation, could move door to front?
Old 11-04-2010, 04:39 PM
King Mackeral

Thx Anlgler. Is possible and not a bad idea. I've tossed around putting the door on the right side and extending the driveway 10ft or so past the door. another idea would be to keep both sides open and make a circle drive through the present garage....
But im with you on the location of the door in the plan. Im not fond of vehicles blocking the front of my home nor the tight turning space for the inside vehicle.
Old 11-04-2010, 04:51 PM
Blue Marlin

DONT paint it yourself...everyone thinks they are a painter. every homeowner that builtw/o a contractor that says they are gonna paint it themselves either 1) fug it up bad real bad or 2) DONT FINISH THE JOB AND END UP HIRING SOMEONE TO FINISH AND NOONE WANTS TO FINISH A JACKED UP PAINT JOB. 5.85/ ft is not too bad if that includes the form. i can send you framers your way as low as 3$/ft and as high as 9$/ft ...you get what you pay for . i usally get 4.50- 6.50 depending on how much hardi siding there is and how cut up the roof is . you can use a cheap framer just dont pay him in full hold 20% untill after your mechanicals( hvac, elec. plumbing) and the house is blacked in let the house dry then walk it with a 8ft straight edge and a can of orange paint line all walls if studs are crowned marked and have them come back andf reliefe cut/ block em. check all door rough openings that they are plumb or if they are out make sure each leg is out in the same direction so you dont end up with "crossed leg doors that dont work correct. give me a call ill help you out with pricing / goin rates and what to expect
Old 11-05-2010, 10:52 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

IMO.......one important aspect of a home is the amount of closet storage.

This plan looks to lack storage.

I would square up the walls near the fire place and put in closets there. Maybe move the TV out just a little to use the space behind there. This will also let you see the TV better from all parts of the Living room.

There is lots of storagae space under the stairs.....but don't see how you can get to that space.

Agree with the driveway turning radius......how are your going to get a truck out of the garage?

Where are your going to store a boat?

If you like to cook out......I would pour some more concrete for the back porch. That way you will not be cooking under the house roof. Put in some ceiling fans on the back porch....it helps a lot during our long summers.

Be sure to put in good lighting in the Kitchen......it is hard to work on a counter top if the lighting is behind you causing shadows.

You said something about plumbing for Bonus room......very hard to put in later...do it when building.

Be sure to have water fausets on the outside of the house on each side. My house did not have one on the back side and it took extra hose to water anything. I added one when I added a Shop/garage to the house.
Old 11-06-2010, 07:05 AM
Sand Trout

Cash: 650

Plans look really nice. It's your house and spend your time visiting similar homes for ideas. Lots of people in my neighborhood have built with the garage similar to yours and my observation is that unless you have no kids and no toys, then there is always something smack dab in front of the house which will take away from the curb appeal. If curb appeal is important to u or your wife, then you may reconsider the garage entrance. If you have a garage and kids with toys, or your own toys, then the garage entrance will normally 'collect' things i.e., power wheels, ice chests, projects, boat, etc. It is nice to have these things spill over on the side of the home versus the front. good luck.
Old 11-06-2010, 08:52 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 556

Besides a faucet on all sides Make sure that you put at least one electrical receptical on each outside wall and if you have a patio put at least two there.
If you are going to have a boat in the garage ,Put a 50' cord reel up at the ceiling in a corner w/ a switch for it. (no exstension cords needed ).
Also ,if you have or plan on having kids . wire a 3 way switch in each childs bedroom that controlls the bathroom light. That way they can turn the light on and off w/o having to walk thru a dark house .
Old 11-06-2010, 11:20 AM
Redfish

Cash: 763

A hot water drop with cold tap near is also nice to have you can use hot only to clean ice chest boats ect. Or blend with cold for washing up. Also add a gas drop. If you have gas, nice for grilling..