SaltyCajun.com http://www.matrixshad.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 04-09-2014, 05:22 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,852
Default them dang germans have turbocharged the trolling motor

now you don't have to buy gas anymore or worry about pollution

check out the video of their electric outboard motor from Germany:

and the website: http://www.epowermarine.com/torqeedo.html

I think its a pretty cool idea for inside waters
Old 04-10-2014, 08:26 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 942

Dang! And to think of all the money I spent on developing a gas powered trolling motor.
Old 04-10-2014, 09:57 AM
Flounder

Cash: 725

I've had my eye on those for a while! The electric outboard on a small flat for accessing limited access areas on wma's would be awesome!
Old 04-10-2014, 10:11 AM
Ling

Cash: 505

prices are INSANE tho....
Old 04-10-2014, 11:34 AM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassYakR View Post
prices are INSANE tho....
true but they will come down as they get more popular and the money you save on gas "sorta" offsets the price.

the way they goin with epa regulations we might all need to go "gas free" at some point, some reservoirs and lakes are already pretty stupid strick on motor emmissions

also seams IMO it would almost be a necessity to have a very powerful solar battery charger to go with it
Old 04-10-2014, 11:37 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 7,266

Saw these at workboat show las year, awesome looking units
Old 04-10-2014, 11:38 AM
Ling

yeah id like to know how long a charge would last with one of those.
Old 04-10-2014, 11:40 AM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassYakR View Post
yeah id like to know how long a charge would last with one of those.
it says it on the website in amp hours and estimated distances at a couple different speeds

Quote:
What is the range of the Torqeedo Cruise 4.0 R?
This question depends a LOT on the boat and the type of cruising you’re doing, so as an example the Cruise 4.0 R (with 4 x 12 V / 200 Ah lead batteries) pushing a 30 square-metre skerry cruiser 12.4m, 2,600kg: Full Throttle produces 6.3 knots over a range of more than 12 ½ nautical miles, and a runtime of 2 hours. While at half-throttle, and 5 knots, you’ll see a range of 20 nautical miles over a 4 hour cruise. If slow and steady is more your pace, you can run this motor (on the batteries spec’d above) at 2.7 knots for nearly 90 nautical miles and a runtime of 33 hours! Better pack a lunch!
Old 04-10-2014, 11:42 AM
Ling

id like to have that 40hp motor on a 1654
Old 04-10-2014, 02:24 PM
Redfish

Cash: 729

You wouldn't want the battery weight in a 1654. It would take a huge battery to go the distance of 5 gals of gas with a 40 hp.
Old 04-10-2014, 02:37 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,424

How about a propane powered outboard
http://golehr.com/lehr-marine/
Old 04-10-2014, 02:58 PM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb7722 View Post
You wouldn't want the battery weight in a 1654. It would take a huge battery to go the distance of 5 gals of gas with a 40 hp.
In that case this is completely useless!

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
Old 04-10-2014, 04:56 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb7722 View Post
yep 4 batteries sounds like a lot of weight until you consider that 5 gallon tank of gas you no longer need to carry, weights as much as one of those 4 batteries and most people bring a second "spare" tank of gas equal to that second batteries weight so overall the weight you add isn't that much and the motor itself is a whole lot lighter so overall I bet the weight works out to be the same as a regular 4 stroke with gas tanks.

And im not saying this thing is ready for "prime time" but you have to remember your actual cruising time isn't going to be that much at all when you think about it.

Quote:
Full Throttle produces 6.3 knots over a range of more than 12 ½ nautical miles, and a runtime of 2 hours.
on a 12 hour fishing trip moving 3 or 4 times I barely run the motor more then an hour or so total combined so while I agree its marginally enough, this is all you need for most inshore marsh fishing trips. plus adding a fifth battery will extend the times and distances you can do

Quote:
While at half-throttle, and 5 knots, you’ll see a range of 20 nautical miles over a 4 hour cruise.
and half throttle aint bad either

Quote:
If slow and steady is more your pace, you can run this motor (on the batteries spec’d above) at 2.7 knots for nearly 90 nautical miles and a runtime of 33 hours!
this must be idling or trolling speed I assume but I don't care how good your motors gas mileage is, that 5 gallons of gas aint never going to let you run for 33 hours non stop like the electric motor does.

im not going out and buy one anytime soon, I don't buy new ideas until someone else makes dang sure all the kinks have been worked out for a few years first.

it looks like given a few more years the batteries and the motors will be better or at least improved to be more efficient so this will be a viable alternative to look at in a few years unless your a brave soul who likes to be the first to try new things.

Last edited by keakar; 04-10-2014 at 05:17 PM.
Old 04-10-2014, 06:51 PM
Flounder

Cash: 725

This thing has been out for several years. It ain't new. It just hasn't caught on. Mostly bc of the price I think. I think if you have to travel long distances to get to your target area( like in the wax,) it wouldn't be good as your primary propulsion source. But, if you could put one on a small flat to drag either behind you or in a larger boat with you, then you could use it to access limited access areas where internal combustion engines are not allowed.
Old 04-11-2014, 09:13 AM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzon30s View Post
This thing has been out for several years. It ain't new. It just hasn't caught on. Mostly bc of the price I think. I think if you have to travel long distances to get to your target area( like in the wax,) it wouldn't be good as your primary propulsion source. But, if you could put one on a small flat to drag either behind you or in a larger boat with you, then you could use it to access limited access areas where internal combustion engines are not allowed.
that or anywhere you would fish within 5 miles of the launch
Old 04-11-2014, 10:31 AM
Ling

if I had it on a flat id want the 40hp motor to push me at least 35mph... and it would need a range of at least 10-15 miles to make it useful IMO... most trips to BL id probably travel 15 miles total... Especially the days you hadn't been in awhile and you have to find em.
Old 04-11-2014, 02:45 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,038

4 batteries at about 50lbs = 200lbs
10 gal. gas at about 6 ppg = 60 lbs
The motor probably weighs alot less than a 4-stroke though.

Less moving parts so less chance of failure. It's an interesting idea.

Electric motors have tons of torque so hole shot should be great.
Old 04-11-2014, 02:55 PM
Red Snapper

yep, plus there is no need for any water pump or cooling system other then just sitting in the water so I cant think of any maint. it would ever need

by the way a gallon of liquid has a base given weight of 8 lbs per gallon

plus I think you might be a little heavy on the batteries by about 10 lbs each (they don't feel like 50 lbs) but I never put one on a scale.

the average 40-50 hp 4 stroke weighs in at 240-250 lbs with some of the newest ones like Honda and tohatsu only around 215

I see it much like electric cars, they are great as long as you aren't traveling very far but for long trips gas is still more what I would rely on
Old 04-11-2014, 07:24 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,038

Not to split hairs but water weighs 8.33 ppg and gasoline varies something like 5.9 - 6.5 ppg. Oil in general is less dense than water, thats why we get oil slicks.

The battery weight I just pulled off of pepboys or something like that. Those were just $110 batteries, I can;t remember if the super duper optimax type AGM batteries are lighter than lead acid.

Anyone know how much they cost? I know the little torqueedo they had for kayaks was about $1500 so I would take a WAG and say a 40 HP would be in the $8k range
Old 04-11-2014, 10:23 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

[QUOTE=bmac;680242]Not to split hairs but water weighs 8.33 ppg and gasoline varies something like 5.9 - 6.5 ppg. Oil in general is less dense than water, thats why we get oil slicks.

The battery weight I just pulled off of pepboys or something like that. Those were just $110 batteries, I can;t remember if the super duper optimax type AGM batteries are lighter than lead acid.

Anyone know how much they cost? I know the little torqueedo they had for kayaks was about $1500 so I would take a WAG and say a 40 HP would be in the $8k range QUOTE]

Just to keep it accurate, I looked up the weight in some of my old information from when I worked at a Refinery. Gasoline generally weights about 5 lbs per gallon. Oil runs around 7+ lbs per gallon.