SaltyCajun.com http://k2-coolers.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 02-17-2016, 01:09 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 619
Default Restoring used Batteries

A friend followed this process on 8 dead batteries in his golf cart, and they are still going strong after 6 months, and he only changed the fluid once,,,, May be worth a try.

One Battery = 4 Barrels of oil... Hmmmmm

Restoring Your Battery

You will need the following items to perform your battery restoration project: baking soda, distilled water, a power drill, magnesium sulfate (commonly known as Epsom salt), non-metallic storage funnel, non-metallic storage container, plastic replacement plugs, safety glasses, a three-phase battery charger for lead-acid batteries, water, work gloves, and a wrench. The first thing to do is turn your car off, and let your car battery cool for about an hour. Once the battery is cool, open the car hood and use your wrench to detach the negative battery cable first and then the positive cable. Be sure not to touch your wrench to any other metal part of the car to avoid experiencing a small jolt of electricity. Now, carefully remove the battery from the car.
Take off the plastic cell caps on the topside of the battery, and find the location of the sealed cells inside the casing indicated by small marks. Put on your safety glasses, and drill into the sealed cells using your power drill. Put your work gloves on, and turn the battery upside down above a non-metallic storage container to drain the fluid inside. Add baking soda to the battery fluid in slowly paced increments of tablespoons to neutralize it. Once the fluid stops bubbling, close the container tightly, and take it to a hazardous waste disposal site. Now, take your Epsom salt and stir one part of it into three parts warm, distilled water until you have one full quart of magnesium sulfate solution. Insert your non-metallic funnel into one of the now open battery cells, and carefully pour some of your magnesium sulfate solution into the battery. Lightly shake the battery to evenly distribute the solution inside, and let the solution sit. Repeat this step for the other cells as well.
Make sure your three-phase battery charger is off before you clip the positive lead onto the positive battery terminal and the negative lead onto the negative battery terminal. Set the charger's dial to 12 volts, and then turn on the charger. Leave the trickle charge going for at least 12 full hours before turning it off and unclipping the leads from the battery terminals. After this is done, return the caps onto their cells, or use your plastic plugs to cover up the drilled holes, and reinsert the battery into its place underneath the car hood. Once, you have reconnected the positive cable first and then the negative cable to their terminals, you have successfully restored the battery. It is best to repeat this entire process at least once a week for one whole month in order to ensure that any remaining deposited sulfur is dissolved. This way, your battery will be healthier and last much longer.
Old 02-18-2016, 11:53 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,020

Interesting take.
Old 02-18-2016, 01:09 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 619

I have 3 used trolling motor batteries at my camp, going to give it a try..
Old 02-18-2016, 11:47 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

If you try to "neutralize" the acid.... it will take a couple of 4 lb boxes to do this.
Old 02-20-2016, 09:17 AM
Flounder

Cash: 549

I'm trying this on a used 4 wheeler battery / will find out if this works after my second cup of coffee this morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-20-2016, 10:28 AM
Flounder

Cash: 549

Nope / didn't work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-20-2016, 10:55 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,461

Guys I work with chemicals daily and have worked with 98% sulfuric acid; battery acid which is 37% sulfuric acid is nothing to take lightly.

Please educate yourself and wear the appropriate PPE if your going to restore your own batteries. Personally I think it's a bad idea but to each his own.

http://www.centurion-akku.com/downlo...ctrolyte37.pdf