SaltyCajun.com http://www.acadianamarina.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 01-28-2014, 10:40 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,728

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgizzle View Post
My thoughts as well. In our area ppl started crawfish ing or setting up for crawfish earlier

"Go ahead, share your opinion! I won't cry"

And a lot of good that did. lol At this rate they won't catch crawfish till mid February.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-28-2014, 11:21 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,952

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulox86 View Post
The more manipulation of our natural terrain for the specific reason of holding waterfowl is what is hurting the migration. Plus with all the new hunters crowding the area, ducks are getting shot far sooner and much more on their way down to the south. Nothing is going to change. Too much money in hunting nowadays. The average guy cannot compete with the multimillion dollar lodge that manages fields of crops with the sole purpose of waterfowl hunting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
With the average guy paying 6k to hunt in a crawfish pond and hunt while the traps are being run. It just doesn't work.
Old 01-28-2014, 11:29 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,546

Quote:
Originally Posted by AubreyLaHaye458 View Post
And a lot of good that did. lol At this rate they won't catch crawfish till mid February.

Exactly! Traps had nothing in them for a month leading up to end of season. But it puts water up to the head of second crop so ducks can demolish it and never worry about us killing them

Old 01-28-2014, 11:31 AM
Calcasieu Extreme Rods

Cash: 13,300

More money being paid for hunting, more people "working" on attracting ducks.

More rice in Arkansas than Louisiana, especially SW La

Weather patterns changing

More saltwater intrusion = less for ducks to eat

Etc.

Some place just hold birds because of no pressure, food, flight paths, etc and they kill in those areas. If you are not in one of those areas, the season sucks.
Old 01-28-2014, 11:44 AM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchief View Post

Etc.

Some place just hold birds because of no pressure, food, flight paths, etc and they kill in those areas. If you are not in one of those areas, the season sucks.

This.

And on too of that, the birds get down to Kansas/Oklahoma/Missouri and don't have to leave. There's plenty of feed for them there. And when they get a big freeze the birds just find flowing water or open fields with feed in em. It takes like up to two weeks of snow and freezing condition for those ducks to have to move south from areas like that and that just didn't happen.

Old 01-28-2014, 11:58 AM
Sailfish

Quote:
This.

And on too of that, the birds get down to Kansas/Oklahoma/Missouri and don't have to leave. There's plenty of feed for them there. And when they get a big freeze the birds just find flowing water or open fields with feed in em. It takes like up to two weeks of snow and freezing condition for those ducks to have to move south from areas like that and that just didn't happen.

Conditions like we have now? More reason for the season to open around thanksgiving

Old 01-28-2014, 11:58 AM
Sailfish

Or later

Old 01-28-2014, 11:59 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,393

Quote:

Etc.

Potlickingisahabit this is my thoughts exactly to the T. So if they have all the food they need further north and areas large enough for them to rest. What will make them continue south?

My answer would be Ice. The last 2 weeks of the season they had no choice but to come down. Larry said himself in this area it takes extended periods of cold weather to push them.

Wouldn't it seem more logical to be hunting during periods when this is more likely to happen? Why start the season the first week of November when all we're getting is lil pissant fronts. We had isolated successful days during the first split when we received big pushes of bluewings. For most people the switch wasn't really turned on till the last two weeks of the second split.

The season is closed now and we are stacked with mallards and pins. The landscape of our flyway all the way down has changed. Migration patterns have changed as a result of this.

It's time we make changes to adapt. Quit basing our season dates on old science. I'm no biologist and don't claim to know it all. I do however spend a lot of days in the fields in a lot of different areas.

Yes, We still get ducks. But not near the numbers that make good hunting wide spread. Just my thoughts.

Old 01-28-2014, 11:59 AM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgizzle View Post
Conditions like we have now? More reason for the season to open around thanksgiving

I agree. Or open at the same time just have a longer split.

Old 01-28-2014, 12:02 PM
Flounder

Cash: 641

Many factors have contributed to the overall lack of ducks in Louisiana this year and the very alarming long term decline in both ducks and geese wintering in Louisiana. That is not to mention the change in species composition/percentages in the numbers. This is some of my thoughts.

1. Major Changes in Agriculture. This is a vicious cycle and a bad long term trend from a LA hunting perspective.

a. Massive Reduction in the Number of rice acres in Louisiana. Arkansas now plants almost 4 times as much rice as Louisiana. 2012 numbers (rounded) LA - 350K Arkansas - 1.3 Million. Why fly past a buffet? You can also dump habitat loss from erosion and intrusion into this if you want. It just magnifies the issue.

b. Widespread use of Clearfield rice varieties. Now farmers can kill red rice and other moist soil plants and still grow rice which means after the rice harvest there is little to no food in our fields. Less quality on less acres.

c. Changes in Ag up the flyway. Ethanol subsidies have resulted in massive acreages that were once planted in other crops now planted in corn. These same subsidies have resulted in hundreds of thousands of CRP nesting habitat being turned into cornfields. Less nesting habitat and more available desired high energy food means less ducks and less motivation to migrate.

2. Explosion of new habitat and hunting operations in the mid continent portion of the flyway. This new habitat and/or better management for $$$ has resulted in a large population of ducks and geese that now don't need to migrate past a certain point. Mallards and geese like to feed in dry fields. As long as adequate resting/roosting habitat and food exists they won't move.

Personally I believe those are the 2 biggest factors. But I have been wrong before although I don't remember when. Wait let me ask my wife ... LMBO.

I don't buy the pressure arguments because a mallard that has never been south of Missouri doesn't know what kind of pressure is in LA unless they are a Salty Cajun member ... . Now I'm not arguing that pressure doesn't effect the distribution of birds that do come down. I'm talking about the birds staying in the mid continent.

Just random thoughts.
Robbie aka Big Hutch
Old 01-28-2014, 12:03 PM
Calcasieu Extreme Rods

Cash: 13,300

Quote:
I agree. Or open at the same time just have a longer split.

Open a week later and a week to the split.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
Old 01-28-2014, 12:06 PM
King Mackeral

I think Missouri south zone opened on the Nov. 26 this year. They just closed Sunday. Granted they don't have any split. But still....I'm not necessarily in favor of hunting into February. Ducks are paired up by then. We also don't need to be pressuring the hens they hard that late. They need time to relax and fatten up for the breeding season. I'm just saying let us hunt till the last week of January.

Old 01-28-2014, 12:08 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Open a week later and a week to the split.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Perfect solution, that puts us ending feb 2 this year.

Old 01-28-2014, 12:10 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshRat89 View Post
Potlickingisahabit this is my thoughts exactly to the T. So if they have all the food they need further north and areas large enough for them to rest. What will make them continue south?

My answer would be Ice. The last 2 weeks of the season they had no choice but to come down. Larry said himself in this area it takes extended periods of cold weather to push them.

Wouldn't it seem more logical to be hunting during periods when this is more likely to happen? Why start the season the first week of November when all we're getting is lil pissant fronts. We had isolated successful days during the first split when we received big pushes of bluewings. For most people the switch wasn't really turned on till the last two weeks of the second split.

The season is closed now and we are stacked with mallards and pins. The landscape of our flyway all the way down has changed. Migration patterns have changed as a result of this.

It's time we make changes to adapt. Quit basing our season dates on old science. I'm no biologist and don't claim to know it all. I do however spend a lot of days in the fields in a lot of different areas.

Yes, We still get ducks. But not near the numbers that make good hunting wide spread. Just my thoughts.

And u would think they would change that so we can concentrate CONSERVATION efforts to better suit us and killing ducks which is what conservation is all about.... Right?

Nope ! They wont

Old 01-28-2014, 12:27 PM
Entering A World of Pain

Cash: 9,529

Lets face guys we had our day in the sun and things are changing. Sell all ur duck stuff and give up ur leases...it's over lights out.
The cops are the experts on the current criminal trends. If they have determined that a “high capacity” semiautomatic pistol and a .223 semiautomatic rifle with 30-round magazines are the best firearms for them to use to protect people like me and my family, they are obviously the best things for us to use to protect ourselves and our families .
Old 01-28-2014, 12:29 PM
Ling

Cash: 5,600

What about widgeon grass !

Old 01-28-2014, 12:32 PM
Ling

Cash: 1,584

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallarddecoyryt View Post
Might not be a bad idea for season and limits to go down. Get some off these yahoos out off hunting.

winner winner chicken dinner.....
Old 01-28-2014, 12:34 PM
Entering A World of Pain

Cash: 9,529

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clampy View Post
What about widgeon grass !

Hell corn or widgeon grass?? You want a chocolate cake or a stick of celery?

The cops are the experts on the current criminal trends. If they have determined that a “high capacity” semiautomatic pistol and a .223 semiautomatic rifle with 30-round magazines are the best firearms for them to use to protect people like me and my family, they are obviously the best things for us to use to protect ourselves and our families .
Old 01-28-2014, 12:36 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by SULPHITE View Post
Hell corn or widgeon grass?? You want a chocolate cake or a stick of celery?

This.

Old 01-28-2014, 01:05 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,007

60 day season, 2 splits two week each, 20 days each season. Keep opening weekend around 2nd or 3rd wk of November. That way the early groups get a good shoot, and this extends the season into Feb.