SaltyCajun.com http://www.mkacpas.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 08-23-2016, 04:32 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,837
Default CWD and proposed ban.

No one is talking about this...
Old 08-23-2016, 07:57 PM
The Camp Cook....

Cash: 13,811

Unless a person is wanting a mount, I don't see it as big of an issue. I normally bring my deer home from a "trip" cut up and ready for the freezer or grinder.

But I'm not a big out of state deer hunter. I know the outfitters in Texas are upset and understandably so.

Then I also think there will be a bunch of hunters that completely ignore the possible regulation and continue status quo.
Old 08-23-2016, 08:27 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 460

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluechip View Post
Unless a person is wanting a mount, I don't see it as big of an issue. I normally bring my deer home from a "trip" cut up and ready for the freezer or grinder.

But I'm not a big out of state deer hunter. I know the outfitters in Texas are upset and understandably so.

Then I also think there will be a bunch of hunters that completely ignore the possible regulation and continue status quo.
I hunt in texas and deer can only be quartered. So its gonna be diffucult trying to debone front sholders and neck meat and keep it in whole qtrs
Old 08-23-2016, 08:28 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,948

With as big an issue CWD is becoming, I say go for it. We don't need that stuff here.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Old 08-23-2016, 08:35 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluechip View Post

It's the whole principle of a law being shoved down our throats with zero reasoning behind it. I don't deer hunt much either, but if I do it will be in Texas, and I don't feel like there's any reason to have to go through the trouble of caping deer and deboning them. The border is an imaginary line, not a fence, and the whole CWD has little to know merit behind it having ever destroyed any deer herds.
Old 08-23-2016, 08:39 PM
Swordfish

I would think some local businesses will feel it too. Taxidermists and processors.
Old 08-23-2016, 08:40 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smalls View Post
With as big an issue CWD is becoming, I say go for it. We don't need that stuff here.

https://www.texasdeerassociation.com...on-of-hunting/

^What's your opinion on this article smalls?
Old 08-23-2016, 08:44 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,216

It's stupid. Deer don't know what state they are in. A diseased deer in Arkansas can walk right into Louisiana Deer from the other states would have to swim across some big rivers
Old 08-23-2016, 08:52 PM
Swordfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodle creek View Post
It's the whole principle of a law being shoved down our throats with zero reasoning behind it. I don't deer hunt much either, but if I do it will be in Texas, and I don't feel like there's any reason to have to go through the trouble of caping deer and deboning them. The border is an imaginary line, not a fence, and the whole CWD has little to know merit behind it having ever destroyed any deer herds.
Yep. Just more typical LA commish junk.
Old 08-23-2016, 09:01 PM
King Mackeral

It's written by Ted Nugent. That's all I need to know.

No offense to Uncle Ted, but the guy is no biologist. I mean, the guy says it was "created" by a beaurocrat, then cites actual cases. And the fact that he claims no "honest conservationist" would believe it is an insult to every biologist.

He calls it a scam the entire time, but to what end? He sure doesn't produce any theory in that regard, except to cite a video by a deer farmer. The disease was created and released to get rid of deer farms? Really?

And on that note, Don't even get me started on the legality of deer farms. I've never been a fan of them, because they are completely against the North American Model of wildlife management.

But to think that something was hatched up 50 years ago to try and wipe out deer farms is ridiculous. If that were the case, then man, they sure did have a long term plan with multiple generations of biologists involved. Or maybe they were just so good at what they did, they didn't have to get them in on it. The biologists were just doing their jobs, all the while playing into the hands of those that wanted to end deer farming.

OH MY GOD, THEY DISCOVERED IT IN A LAB!! Do these morons realize that damn near ever new disease is discovered in a lab?! Sheesh.

Long story short, I think that article is rubish. I've followed Uncle Ted long enough to know that he has tunnel vision and cannot be convinced of anything that is against what he believes. And he believes that government shouldn't be mettling in anything, especially wildlife management.

Old 08-23-2016, 09:22 PM
Red Snapper

Colorado has supposedly had it bad for 40/50 years now and I'm pretty sure they have thriving elk and mule deer herds, with the whitetails starting to expand as well. It's a big destination state for big game hunters from all over the country and many of them probably drive their harvested animals back to whatever state they came from. Why isn't it all over the country now?

I don't know much about it, but from what I've read there doesn't seem to be a single person who can give a logical, scientific answer as to why this law needs to be passed.
Old 08-23-2016, 09:34 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodle creek View Post
Colorado has supposedly had it bad for 40/50 years now and I'm pretty sure they have thriving elk and mule deer herds, with the whitetails starting to expand as well. It's a big destination state for big game hunters from all over the country and many of them probably drive their harvested animals back to whatever state they came from. Why isn't it all over the country now?

I don't know much about it, but from what I've read there doesn't seem to be a single person who can give a logical, scientific answer as to why this law needs to be passed.
Can anyone explain how it has spread from beyond Colorado? No, but they do know it is carried within the brain and nervous system. And that it is transmittable. Reasonable cause to suspect that it could have been spread through the transport of carcasses or live animals. So, by preventing the importation of those tissues, they can at least attempt to prevent entry into the state. I don't believe the issue is that it will wipe out a whole deer herd, and anyone that claims so has no real proof to stand on. But, once it is in a herd, there is little chance of eradicating it.

Maybe you don't lose a lot of deer to it, but with the deer herd we have, is that a chance we want to take? We already discuss the negative effects of flooding on a damn-near yearly basis. Do we want this disease here too?

I'm not saying the regulation is perfect. I'm saying we need some form of it to prolong the lack of CWD in the state. It is not knocking at our borders yet. Why let it in from thousands of miles away when its not even at our own door yet?

Old 08-23-2016, 09:37 PM
Swordfish

Quote:
Can anyone explain how it has spread from beyond Colorado? No, but they do know it is carried within the brain and nervous system. And that it is transmittable. Reasonable cause to suspect that it could have been spread through the transport of carcasses or live animals. So, by preventing the importation of those tissues, they can at least attempt to prevent entry into the state. I don't believe the issue is that it will wipe out a whole deer herd, and anyone that claims so has no real proof to stand on. But, once it is in a herd, there is little chance of eradicating it.

Maybe you don't lose a lot of deer to it, but with the deer herd we have, is that a chance we want to take? We already discuss the negative effects of flooding on a damn-near yearly basis. Do we want this disease here too?

I'm not saying the regulation is perfect. I'm saying we need some form of it to prolong the lack of CWD in the state. It is not knocking at our borders yet. Why let it in from thousands of miles away when its not even at our own door yet?

Last year when it flooded every redneck around was standing on the nearest levee pilin em up to the sky. Seems like thats more detrimental to a herd than a chance one might get sick.
Old 08-23-2016, 09:43 PM
King Mackeral

Also, it has been documented in 22 states, with 20 of those being in wild herds. Also in 2 Canadian Provinces.

No doubt the unethical hunting behavior of some of our "brethren" doesn't help, but why is it that we will do everything in our power to prevent or extirpate a disease in humans, but not make every effort to do so in a game population?

It is ironic that hunters have tried for centuries to create as much opportunity to hunt game as possible, going to such lengths as extirpating predators, but now are not concerned about a disease that has spread across the continent in 50 years. Mind you, a deer did not travel from Colorado to New York on its own, yet CWD is there.

Old 08-23-2016, 09:57 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,926
Headknocker

Quote:
Also, it has been documented in 22 states, with 20 of those being in wild herds. Also in 2 Canadian Provinces.

No doubt the unethical hunting behavior of some of our "brethren" doesn't help, but why is it that we will do everything in our power to prevent or extirpate a disease in humans, but not make every effort to do so in a game population?

It is ironic that hunters have tried for centuries to create as much opportunity to hunt game as possible, going to such lengths as extirpating predators, but now are not concerned about a disease that has spread across the continent in 50 years. Mind you, a deer did not travel from Colorado to New York on its own, yet CWD is there.

Do you eat beef,chicken,pork?? There full of crap that comes from over seas meat ,yet they keep opening up new trade deal's while everyone's shutdowning our meat going out!!! But your worried about a few deer !!!!
Old 08-23-2016, 10:00 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy C View Post
Do you eat beef,chicken,pork?? There full of crap that comes from over seas meat ,yet they keep opening up new trade deal's while everyone's shutdowning our meat going out!!! But your worried about a few deer !!!!
That attitude is the problem. This attitude of "Oh, we let it in from overseas in our store-bought, no reason to protect our resources". Maybe I like my wild meat disease-free.

Get out of here with that ridiculous argument. Can't believe you would even compare domestic meat to wild meat.

Old 08-23-2016, 10:09 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,926

Domestic meat was once wild!!! Wild meat moves where and when it wants, so it's easy to see were it would spread easy, it has been around way before your time and it will be around way after your time!!
Old 08-23-2016, 10:19 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy C View Post
Domestic meat was once wild!!! Wild meat moves where and when it wants, so it's easy to see were it would spread easy, it has been around way before your time and it will be around way after your time!!
Deer don't move from Colorado to Louisiana on their own, buddy. Plenty of studies have proven that fact.

But keep preaching that complacent mindset.

Old 08-24-2016, 06:26 AM
Swordfish

Quote:
Deer don't move from Colorado to Louisiana on their own, buddy. Plenty of studies have proven that fact.

But keep preaching that complacent mindset.

I killed a deer in lacassine that was banded in Kansas. So u saying its the flyway difference?
Old 08-24-2016, 07:43 AM
Redfish

Cash: 639

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Dawg View Post
I killed a deer in lacassine that was banded in Kansas. So u saying its the flyway difference?
you cant be serious, that deer was obviously relocated, it DID NOT WALK from Kansas to Louisiana , if you think that they do, that's SCARY