SaltyCajun.com http://www.angler-products.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 10-05-2016, 01:17 PM
Ling

Cash: 3,542

My .02 cents:

Look at the most active threads on here in a while.... The Trump thread and the Coach O thread. Politics and Sports. Two things that should not have been in the open section to begin with and they have been civil, constructive, and overall entertaining. I know this was originally a fishing forum, but things changed and the site has evolved. It's kind of hard to keep a forum running on strictly fishing alone. Especially when everyone is trying to keep their spots a secret or scared of being ridiculed by some members. You post a report and get a few "Good catches" and "Nice," then some come through giving flack on catching school trout or what they perceived to be trash fish. It's the same old song and dance and it gets old. I like the diversity you get on here. A little bit of fishing and hunting, a little bit of gardening, SigNate's cooking, and even some of the drama.

What I think would help this site from a business perspective would be to cut the premium membership and open up all sections to everybody. I've been a premium member for a few years now and view it as a contribution to a site that keeps me entertained throughout the day. And most of that entertainment isn't even in the premium section. I don't think what you get in the premium section is worth the $50/yr, but I'm fine paying it because I hate to see this site fail. If that offends you Casey, sorry, but it is what it is. Once things go in the premium section, it's DOA. I think opening up all sections to everyone would generate a lot more traffic to the site which would attract more advertisers. That's just my opinion. I truly hope to see this site stick around for a long time.
Old 10-05-2016, 01:18 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

Fishing reports are basically knowing what color baits , water , and if they are catching

Big lake is too small to tell locations because boats kill bite period

Two weeks ago they had zero boats in tuners and we were hammering trout then few post made about fish stacked in tuners and 100 boats showed up over night and most caught nothing to little .

We have to move and find fish other places to get away from boats

I don't mind telling anyone what I'm catching on or color
I send many PMs a year
Fish respond lot better to less boat traffic
Old 10-05-2016, 01:23 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,486

I like this site because it acknowledges the other half of Louisiana, which is barelfy if at all represented on other sites.
I also like this site because a few guys post fishing reports that help a young guy like me who wants to learn the lake the right way, does not want a spot location, realizes that understanding the fishery is more valuable than any potlicked spot, and just want to see what's happening out there the other 90% of the time that I can't be fishing.
I post what I find on my trips, and usually include a "but I'm still new and welcome advice" on each report, in hopes that better fishermen can help me understand what im missing, what im doing wrong or not doing at all.

If my $50 can keep the site going, I'll sign up.
Old 10-05-2016, 01:24 PM
Site Owner/Admin

Cash: 22,174

Quote:
Originally Posted by meaux fishing View Post
love it
Old 10-05-2016, 01:27 PM
Site Owner/Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt G View Post
My .02 cents:

Look at the most active threads on here in a while.... The Trump thread and the Coach O thread. Politics and Sports. Two things that should not have been in the open section to begin with and they have been civil, constructive, and overall entertaining. I know this was originally a fishing forum, but things changed and the site has evolved. It's kind of hard to keep a forum running on strictly fishing alone. Especially when everyone is trying to keep their spots a secret or scared of being ridiculed by some members. You post a report and get a few "Good catches" and "Nice," then some come through giving flack on catching school trout or what they perceived to be trash fish. It's the same old song and dance and it gets old. I like the diversity you get on here. A little bit of fishing and hunting, a little bit of gardening, SigNate's cooking, and even some of the drama.

What I think would help this site from a business perspective would be to cut the premium membership and open up all sections to everybody. I've been a premium member for a few years now and view it as a contribution to a site that keeps me entertained throughout the day. And most of that entertainment isn't even in the premium section. I don't think what you get in the premium section is worth the $50/yr, but I'm fine paying it because I hate to see this site fail. If that offends you Casey, sorry, but it is what it is. Once things go in the premium section, it's DOA. I think opening up all sections to everyone would generate a lot more traffic to the site which would attract more advertisers. That's just my opinion. I truly hope to see this site stick around for a long time.
I would like to give more to the premium guys I agree with most of what you are saying. Premium is what is paying for the bandwidth right now so how can I keep our premium memberships but make it more worthwhile?
Old 10-05-2016, 01:30 PM
Site Owner/Admin

I'm guilty of not posting my hunting reports on here or facebook most of the time because I don't want to pay more for my lease next time or have it taken from me. No doubt if I run offshore and catch trout and tell people where I caught them on the internet every rig will have four boats the next day. I like to see fish being caught when I don't see any fish being caught I know its not a good time. If I know it's hot somewhere it's up to me to figure it out.
Old 10-05-2016, 01:41 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,852

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckinchen View Post
I would like to give more to the premium guys I agree with most of what you are saying. Premium is what is paying for the bandwidth right now so how can I keep our premium memberships but make it more worthwhile?
each premium membership gets a hunting or fishing trip with you, you meet them at the dock or wherever and they get to take you on a fishing or hunting trip with them.

it doesnt cost you anything and its a nice treat for them and you get to get out there more?

oh by the way, on a serious note the website smileys stopped working days ago and still don't work. im not sure if they are disabled on purpose for a reason but figured I would mention it.
Old 10-05-2016, 01:47 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
I'm guilty of not posting my hunting reports on here or facebook most of the time because I don't want to pay more for my lease next time or have it taken from me. No doubt if I run offshore and catch trout and tell people where I caught them on the internet every rig will have four boats the next day. I like to see fish being caught when I don't see any fish being caught I know its not a good time. If I know it's hot somewhere it's up to me to figure it out.
that's very understandable with hunting as the lease owners can be a fickle bunch

as to fishing reports, just keep it very generalized, that's all that is needed and what the guides do. those of us reading the reports go to our own spots mostly anyway, we just need the generalities like if its too early or late and not worth going out there yet or if the bite is better in morning or afternoon and what baits and colors are working best at the time. I agree if you say where a spot is, it will have 20 boats there every day for the next 6 months and no longer be fishable
Old 10-05-2016, 01:47 PM
Ling

Cash: 3,542

Quote:

I guess the prize drawings might attract more people, but if you are giving away a prize that needs to bring in 6 more year subscriptions just to cover the cost of that one item(Yeti cooler shown earlier), I don't see it as a smart move on your part.

At the end of the day, we are paying to watch W and ASR fight like a couple of teenage girls and Shrky post pics that we can easily find elsewhere for free. It's a hard sale to make a most of us that are contributing are doing it out of the kindness of our hearts. I wish I had the magical solution for you.
Old 10-05-2016, 01:59 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt G View Post
I guess the prize drawings might attract more people, but if you are giving away a prize that needs to bring in 6 more year subscriptions just to cover the cost of that one item(Yeti cooler shown earlier), I don't see it as a smart move on your part.

At the end of the day, we are paying to watch W and ASR fight like a couple of teenage girls and Shrky post pics that we can easily find elsewhere for free. It's a hard sale to make a most of us that are contributing are doing it out of the kindness of our hearts. I wish I had the magical solution for you.

I agree, giveaways are a catch 22 trap since your chasing your tail there.

at some other websites im at they have yearly donation drives to offset costs each year and it works well since money from banner ads only go so far, you should think about setting up a yearly time to have a "keep the website running" donation drive and a site I moderate at find it has the most success with it when done just before Christmas when people are in better spirits and in a more giving mood. they have the drive in the month of November, so its not too close to Christmas where money is getting scarce, but still close enough to catch that giving spirit time of year. you could even throw in a choice of a salty Cajun tee shirt or cap as a thank you gift for any donation of $20 or more.

to go along with the fund raiser you could do a summer fishing tournament with half proceeds going to fund the site and not worry about having big prizes since most just want the bragging rights anyway. something like total prize payout in the under $400 range for the whole thing. maybe its just me, but I think lower prize amounts and smaller entrant fees would see more people would enter even if they may have to back out at the last minute and just consider it as another donation to the site

Last edited by keakar; 10-05-2016 at 02:56 PM.
Old 10-05-2016, 03:12 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,948

Quote:
Or you could post in there and make it "worthwhile" or just consider it your contribution to the site. You guys that ***** about your six dollars we are probably better off without you anyway.
Oh, you mean like all the times I did in the past?!?!

Don't give me that ****, Kinchen. You know damn well ASR and W run half the people out of there with their crap.

I tried on multiple occasions to have legitimate conversations, and it didn't happen because ASR/Waltrip would derail it. EVERY FREAKIN TIME!! God forbid you bring up McNeese in there. Why spend money to get **** on trying to talk about my school when I can have that happen for free elsewhere?

And the Gillnet is just where threads go to die. No sense in wasting time with that.

Sorry that I'm not willing to spend money I don't have on a website.
Old 10-05-2016, 03:39 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,152

Quote:
Originally Posted by "W" View Post
Year in review

Ebola
Zika
Pok?mon
Clowns
Jiffy mix
Lmao
Old 10-05-2016, 05:06 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smalls View Post
Oh, you mean like all the times I did in the past?!?!

Don't give me that ****, Kinchen. You know damn well ASR and W run half the people out of there with their crap.

I tried on multiple occasions to have legitimate conversations, and it didn't happen because ASR/Waltrip would derail it. EVERY FREAKIN TIME!! God forbid you bring up McNeese in there. Why spend money to get **** on trying to talk about my school when I can have that happen for free elsewhere?

And the Gillnet is just where threads go to die. No sense in wasting time with that.

Sorry that I'm not willing to spend money I don't have on a website.

Lmao

Sounds like you need a hug ?

Maybe bring Adams a box of Jiffy and meet him at Spicers and he will hug you ?

Can't handle the heat get out the kitchen lmao

You sound like a 3rd grader

Sports bar is not for thin skin people so keep using your skin so soft lotion
Old 10-05-2016, 05:48 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,150

Sports Bar is not a Safe Space
Old 10-05-2016, 06:09 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,728

Quote:
Originally Posted by mriguy View Post
Sports Bar is not a Safe Space

ASR sits there in his parents' basement, cheetoh crumbs on his chest, Saban posters on the wall, waiting for a new post, any post on any topic to turn into a LSU vs BAMA post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-05-2016, 07:24 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,948

Quote:
Originally Posted by "W" View Post
Lmao

Sounds like you need a hug ?

Maybe bring Adams a box of Jiffy and meet him at Spicers and he will hug you ?

Can't handle the heat get out the kitchen lmao

You sound like a 3rd grader

Sports bar is not for thin skin people so keep using your skin so soft lotion
**** you oompa loompa reject. At least my grammar isn't at a 3rd grade level, or my height.

If wasting money to argue with the 2 biggest dumbasses on SC makes me soft, then call me Charmin. That rat nest is the home of trolls and useless banter. Half of the posts are by one wannabe Saban towel boy (Know what I'm sayin, Rene?) who is a bigger troll than you could ever dream to be.

At least Salty finally decided to show back up it seems. Guess he finally came to grips with the reality that he could dish **** out and never take it when it came to his precious Sooners.
Old 10-05-2016, 07:54 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by AubreyLaHaye458 View Post
ASR sits there in his parents' basement, cheetoh crumbs on his chest, Saban posters on the wall, waiting for a new post, any post on any topic to turn into a LSU vs BAMA post.

If you really think Renee really gives a single **** about Bama or Saban, you haven't been paying attention
Old 10-05-2016, 07:56 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,728

Quote:
If you really think Renee really gives a single **** about Bama or Saban, you haven't been paying attention

I pay plenty attention. This is just the mental image I've gathered over time

Old 10-05-2016, 08:02 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by AubreyLaHaye458 View Post
I pay plenty attention. This is just the mental image I've gathered over time

He cares about W and he is definitely a LSU hater no doubt. He's pissed off that he has to live neat "trashy" Baton Rouge. Just so happens that Bama and Saban have owned LSU "cents" 2012. If Moo State owned LSU like that he would be all Mullen right now. Ringing cow bells and all.

Trust me, I am 100% correct
Old 10-05-2016, 08:59 PM
Site Owner/Admin

Quote:
He cares about W and he is definitely a LSU hater no doubt. He's pissed off that he has to live neat "trashy" Baton Rouge. Just so happens that Bama and Saban have owned LSU "cents" 2012. If Moo State owned LSU like that he would be all Mullen right now. Ringing cow bells and all.

Trust me, I am 100% correct
Well said.