SaltyCajun.com http://www.budnmarys.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > The Conservationist's Corner

The Conservationist's Corner For discussion of everything to do with conservation!

Old 04-01-2010, 10:27 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 813

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmaster911 View Post
Here is one limit I want to see in place...raise length from 12 to 14 inches on trout
I agree with w on this one ! I would also like to see a 15 trout limit state wide ! ![/QUOTE]

I have a feeling its coming.

As far as tagging goes. It helps determine movement patterns and growth.

I tend to agree with W in the min size increase. The fact that it takes the males longer to grow to that size is what is holding it back. The fear is that at 14", you'd be taking too many females out of the breeding stock.
Old 04-01-2010, 10:31 AM
Great White

Cash: 17,285

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF_T_Warren View Post
call me stupid or whatever, but I dont see how tagging a trout is such a great step in research anyway. to me all thats doin is showing you travel patterns and such. I dont see how thats giving good hard data on fish population to adjust limits anyway.

can someone explain how this helps so much.

I know it provides info on certain things but how does it prove anything about reproduction and population size

In all honesty, has anyone ever caught one of these so called "Tagged Trout"........On the average between my uncle fishing BL in his boat and me fishing BL with him in my boat plus others fishing with us I bet we likely catch all together at least 500 or so trout. BTW me, him plus anyone fishing with us has never caught a so called "TAGGED TROUT" either.....

Also, if you catch one of these TAGGED TROUT is there something special you should do with it besides EAT it?????
Old 04-01-2010, 10:34 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,002

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrost View Post
I agree with w on this one ! I would also like to see a 15 trout limit state wide ! !

I tend to agree with W in the min size increase. The fact that it takes the males longer to grow to that size is what is holding it back. The fear is that at 14", you'd be taking too many females out of the breeding stock.[/QUOTE]

so are you saying that this could have a neg affect if you raise the min size limit.

also what is ya'lls reasoning for wanting to raise the limit
Old 04-01-2010, 10:37 AM
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamsfence View Post

I tend to agree with W in the min size increase. The fact that it takes the males longer to grow to that size is what is holding it back. The fear is that at 14", you'd be taking too many females out of the breeding stock.

so are you saying that this could have a neg affect if you raise the min size limit.

also what is ya'lls reasoning for wanting to raise the limit[/QUOTE]

Not going to happen......15 fish limit and 14" slot size. To many powerful guides that fish the East side to let this happen.
Old 04-01-2010, 10:37 AM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

Quote:
Originally Posted by all star rod View Post
In all honesty, has anyone ever caught one of these so called "Tagged Trout"........On the average between my uncle fishing BL in his boat and me fishing BL with him in my boat plus others fishing with us I bet we likely catch all together at least 500 or so trout. BTW me, him plus anyone fishing with us has never caught a so called "TAGGED TROUT" either.....

Also, if you catch one of these TAGGED TROUT is there something special you should do with it besides EAT it?????

I have a whole folder sitting here in my office with recaptured tags! A few recaptured twice! Does it work yes....
Old 04-01-2010, 10:50 AM
Ling

Cash: 1,338
Default still

Quote:
Originally Posted by "W" View Post
I have a whole folder sitting here in my office with recaptured tags! A few recaptured twice! Does it work yes[/COLOR]....
work to do what though. I mean when you get them how does that help you determine fish population? I mean far as I can tell all you getting from these tags are, this fish was caught X miles from where it was tagged and this fish has grown X amount of inches/pounds. Well you already know that the fish is going to grow so that information to me is useless because fish growth information has been around for many, many years so its not like by tagging trout for size reference, you are helping out cutting edge technology.
Old 04-01-2010, 10:51 AM
Red Snapper

"Also, if you catch one of these TAGGED TROUT is there something special you should do with it besides EAT it????? "

RELEASE IT!!! Like you said, tagged fish make up such a minority of the stock. Release them and hope for multiple captures to be reported to help better determine movement patterns and growth rate.
Old 04-01-2010, 10:54 AM
Red Snapper

Quote:
work to do what though. I mean when you get them how does that help you determine fish population? I mean far as I can tell all you getting from these tags are, this fish was caught X miles from where it was tagged and this fish has grown X amount of inches/pounds. Well you already know that the fish is going to grow so that information to me is useless because fish growth information has been around for many, many years so its not like by tagging trout for size reference, you are helping out cutting edge technology.
True, but......

Redfish have been know to migrate more. Tagging records indicate it. Fish tagged in Big Lake and recaptured in TX, etc.....

Many are trying to find out if trout do the same. Nobody really knows for sure. But it seems to be most trout are estuary specific, and don't roam the waters like redfish. This is one of the primary purpose of trout tagging.
Old 04-01-2010, 10:56 AM
Great White

Cash: 1,902

Like you said, the trout taged #'s are so little, thats why more people should get envolved and tag trout.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:03 AM
Great White

Quote:
I have a whole folder sitting here in my office with recaptured tags! A few recaptured twice! Does it work yes....
No saying it is not a good idea. All I stated was I nor anyone else I know that fishes BL has never caught one. Naturally besides W, has anyone else or someone you know ever caught one...
Old 04-01-2010, 11:14 AM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by all star rod View Post
No saying it is not a good idea. All I stated was I nor anyone else I know that fishes BL has never caught one. Naturally besides W, has anyone else or someone you know ever caught one...
I have never caught a tagged trout........I have had lots of trout that I tagged caught! Every time someone catches a trout or redfish I tag I get a paper with the info!

Also Chris Reed and I tagged about 100 reds in 3 days...Chris has had about 5 of his tagged reds caught by anglers! We used mostly his tags so he had more of his tags on reds!
Old 04-01-2010, 11:25 AM
Ling

Default ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrost View Post
True, but......

Redfish have been know to migrate more. Tagging records indicate it. Fish tagged in Big Lake and recaptured in TX, etc.....

Many are trying to find out if trout do the same. Nobody really knows for sure. But it seems to be most trout are estuary specific, and don't roam the waters like redfish. This is one of the primary purpose of trout tagging.
ok I understand all that but the primary purpose of this thread was about tagging fish and being a conservationist. Well so far I've seen no relation between the two. Plotting migration habits has no relevance to conservation nor deciding limits as far as I can tell and from reading the replies on here
Old 04-01-2010, 11:31 AM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Quote:
ok I understand all that but the primary purpose of this thread was about tagging fish and being a conservationist. Well so far I've seen no relation between the two. Plotting migration habits has no relevance to conservation nor deciding limits as far as I can tell and from reading the replies on here

The Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries joined the Louisiana Cooperative Marine Sport Fish Tagging Program in 2004. The program was initiated by the Louisiana Coastal Conservation Association Tagging Program in 1985. The two main objectives of the tagging program are: (1) to establish a sound marine sport fish tag and recapture program utilizing a diverse cooperative program specifically designed to employ and educate anglers, and (2) to improve our understanding of marine sport fish movements, patterns of habitat use, and population dynamics. This tagging program is currently a cooperative effort between eight cooperators: Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries; two local universities: LSU’s Coastal Fisheries Institute and Agricultural Extension Program, and UNO’s Nekton Research Lab; two local conservation groups: Coastal Conservation Association of Louisiana (CCA) and the Recreational Fisheries Research Institute (RFRI); Louisiana Sea Grant; and the Audubon Aquarium of the Americas (AAOA). The program is 75% funded by a US Fish and Wildlife Service, Federal Aid in Sport Fish Restoration grant.
Our management goal is to maximize recreational benefits while conserving and protecting renewable aquatic resources for present and future generations of Louisiana anglers. Data gathered from this tagging project may be used to evaluate the effects of environmental changes on life in Louisiana’s estuaries. Critical issues such as coastal erosion, wetland loss, freshwater diversion projects, and hurricanes will also be addressed.
We are always recruiting additional recreational anglers for the Louisiana Cooperative Marine Sport Fish Tagging Program. The success of this project is largely dependent on volunteer recreational anglers fishing in any of Louisiana’s coastal areas. We ask that you help spread the word to anglers that may be willing to be volunteer taggers of red drum or spotted seatrout for our program. Please inform them about the tagging project, and forward me contact information that you may have for them. All volunteer anglers will be trained on proper tagging techniques to ensure the survivability of the tagged fish after handling. Volunteer recreational anglers will also be instructed as to what reporting requirements will be expected such as accurate GPS locations within a one mile radius for tracking purposes.
The tagging program will supply all tags and tag applicators for volunteer anglers. In appreciation for their efforts, volunteer anglers will receive a program baseball cap or t-shirt, a quarterly newsletter, a program poster, and will be given access to the tagging community web-site. Additional prizes may be awarded to volunteer anglers depending on the number of fish tagged annually and if a fish that was tagged by them is reported as a recapture.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:35 AM
Ling

There we go, that's sound and logical reasoning, thanks W for the info. In respects to environment changes I can see how it can play a role.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:37 AM
Ling

I wouldn't mind doing it. Do you have to be an all the timer to do it or can "weekend warriors" like myself get involved
Old 04-01-2010, 11:40 AM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Quote:
I wouldn't mind doing it. Do you have to be an all the timer to do it or can "weekend warriors" like myself get involved

anybody can do it......It is easy..

I go out sometimes in the afternoon and fill my live well up with water.....Drift some reefs catch 7 or 8 trout....... Set anchor tag em and let go.....then drift it again and do the same thing
Old 04-01-2010, 12:02 PM
Ling

Just left a message and sent an email to them, hopefully they contact me back
Old 04-01-2010, 12:42 PM
Great White

Cash: 3,391

Quote:
Salty...

Give me your input on triple tail.? My input was I really thought they was going to research a little before. Slamming a limit in place!

Here is one limit I want to see in place...raise length from 12 to 14 inches on trout
Buddy, I would not know a tripletail if I saw one.

The only problem I have with your thread is the title: "Conservation or Greed"

I think the tagging program is a wonderful thing, however, it is not a law. Any of us that choose not to tag fish are not breaking any laws. Just because we choose not to tag fish does not mean that we are not practicing conservation. Now, here's the part I don't understand. By not getting involved in the tagging program, how does this display 'greed' on our part?
Old 04-01-2010, 07:06 PM
Ling

Ok I got another wrench to throw into this thread. I got ahold of the guy early and told him I wanted to get involved with the tagging program. I figured it'd be fun to do and would help with gathering some data on our state's fish. Well I asked him how I could get involved. So he tells me he will mail me or fax me an application. So I told him to just mail it and I would send it in. He says "yea, thats great, thanks. Just fill it out and send it in with the check and then we will send you the stuff"

Um ok, what the heck? I am doing a service to you so that you can have better data on fish growth, migration, etc etc etc, and I have to pay you to be able to help you out? What kinda program is that?
Old 04-01-2010, 07:40 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Quote:
Ok I got another wrench to throw into this thread. I got ahold of the guy early and told him I wanted to get involved with the tagging program. I figured it'd be fun to do and would help with gathering some data on our state's fish. Well I asked him how I could get involved. So he tells me he will mail me or fax me an application. So I told him to just mail it and I would send it in. He says "yea, thats great, thanks. Just fill it out and send it in with the check and then we will send you the stuff"

Um ok, what the heck? I am doing a service to you so that you can have better data on fish growth, migration, etc etc etc, and I have to pay you to be able to help you out? What kinda program is that?

There is a one time $20 set up fee....and that is just for your kit! Your Tags are free. He will send you a tagging kit with 10 tags to make sure your doing them right. Then you can get 30 at a time.