SaltyCajun.com http://www.lakecharlestackle.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 04-28-2014, 10:55 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,393
Default Dog trainers??

I'm keeping a male off my dogs litter.
I'm looking for a trainer and someone to run him in some hunt test and get him titled for me. I plan on starting him but letting a pro take over at 8 months. Both my first and second choice for trainer can't take him as of now. I would like to give the business to a Salty Cajun bruddah. Raymond? Spuntdrag?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk mmm
Old 04-28-2014, 11:04 AM
Ling

Cash: 4,851

Who were you first two choices if you don't mind me asking?
Old 04-28-2014, 11:07 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,952

Ed thibodeaux
Old 04-28-2014, 11:39 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: -747,400

Thanks but I'm not a professional trainer, just an Amateur. I'll train a dog for a friend occasionally but I just had a baby and I'm tryin to get rid of dogs right now.
Old 04-28-2014, 12:27 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 834

I am sending mine on Wednesday to Butch Manuel in Roanoke. Known him for years and my BIL got a dog from him and has nothing but good things to say about the dog. I guess all trainers are about the same with the exception of a few that are just too hard on them. Just use whomever you feel comfortable with and visit often.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 04-28-2014, 01:06 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 460

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulox86 View Post
I am sending mine on Wednesday to Butch Manuel in Roanoke. Known him for years and my BIL got a dog from him and has nothing but good things to say about the dog. I guess all trainers are about the same with the exception of a few that are just too hard on them. Just use whomever you feel comfortable with and visit often.

I've seen and hunted with some fantastic dogs that butch has trained. I'm not sure if he's into the hunt test stuff though.
Old 04-28-2014, 01:08 PM
Flounder

Cash: 669

I have to beg to differ most trainers differ dramatically from the others. Dog training is like being a guide, just because they offer the same "service" does not mean you will get the same results. As far as hunt test go Chuck McCall has a good reputation in Louisiana. Ed is a good trainer but has been doing some FT work lately and not as much HT work from what I have seen. At what level of HT work are you looking for? started/junior, seasoned/Senior, or finished/master?
Old 04-28-2014, 01:17 PM
Trophy Trout

Good to know that about Butch. I'm still new but I thought that a well trained hunting dog would do fine at a hunt trial. Thanks for the clarification.
Old 04-28-2014, 01:18 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 4,521

Ed Thibodeaux
Old 04-28-2014, 01:22 PM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulox86 View Post

I'm sure Farmer would love to know that he is about the same as Cecil Manuel and vice versa.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
Old 04-28-2014, 02:01 PM
Trophy Trout

Sorry to ruffle any feathers. Just my ignorance I guess.
Old 04-28-2014, 02:25 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: -747,400

Here's some advice that's worth what I'll charge you for it: try word of mouth first. Whoever numerous people recommend you to, go check em out. Go watch a day of training with them. Ask questions and be up front with concerns and GOALS. Notice I used the term GOALS instead of EXPECTATIONS. When dealing with a living, breathing, free-thinking animal, expectations can quickly turn into disappointments. Don't set a timeline, "I'm gonna send him to you til November and I want him to run cold blinds by then". Tell him what you want; just an obedient pet, a polished gun dog, a dog to play the Hunt Test game with, or a competitive Field Trial dog. Watch the dogs he takes out of the truck/trailer for the day. Are their tails wagging, or tucked between their legs? Do they enjoy their work, or dread coming out of that box? Every pro will probably have 1 or 2 dogs that are pigs, but a truck/trailer full of them should raise concerns. Don't be alarmed when they give the dog a harsh correction, be more concerned with how the dog handled the pressure and did it figure out how to work through it and succeed in its task. That will tell you everything u want to know about that trainer. And lastly, try not to worry about the price. It will cost a small fortune, so prepare yourself.
Old 04-28-2014, 02:51 PM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spunt Drag View Post
Here's some advice that's worth what I'll charge you for it: try word of mouth first. Whoever numerous people recommend you to, go check em out. Go watch a day of training with them. Ask questions and be up front with concerns and GOALS. Notice I used the term GOALS instead of EXPECTATIONS. When dealing with a living, breathing, free-thinking animal, expectations can quickly turn into disappointments. Don't set a timeline, "I'm gonna send him to you til November and I want him to run cold blinds by then". Tell him what you want; just an obedient pet, a polished gun dog, a dog to play the Hunt Test game with, or a competitive Field Trial dog. Watch the dogs he takes out of the truck/trailer for the day. Are their tails wagging, or tucked between their legs? Do they enjoy their work, or dread coming out of that box? Every pro will probably have 1 or 2 dogs that are pigs, but a truck/trailer full of them should raise concerns. Don't be alarmed when they give the dog a harsh correction, be more concerned with how the dog handled the pressure and did it figure out how to work through it and succeed in its task. That will tell you everything u want to know about that trainer. And lastly, try not to worry about the price. It will cost a small fortune, so prepare yourself.
What he said

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
Old 04-28-2014, 03:18 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,440

My older brother does it in Lake Arthur. Robert Authement. He may be full up. Not sure. If you need number let me know. Ed is very good also.
Old 04-28-2014, 05:43 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Braquet View Post
Who were you first two choices if you don't mind me asking?

Trent Nugier and Danny Castro. I've been knowing Trent for years and Danny is my Neighbor they train together.

Old 04-28-2014, 05:44 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spunt Drag View Post

Thanks man that's helpful

Old 04-29-2014, 02:23 PM
King Mackeral

Only one male left.

Old 04-29-2014, 09:09 PM
Flounder

Cash: 608

Ken or Chad Vidrine. Ken is in Opelousas area and his son is in Lafayette area. Ken had my dog finished at 9 months. Took him in at 6 months and he won 2nd in the Gueydan duck festival in the beginner division. As he was still a beginner and was his first ever fireld trial he lost to a finished dog that ran for one of the trainers mentioned above. Needless to say either one of the guys i mentioned are great.
Old 04-29-2014, 09:33 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,455

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudman03 View Post
Ken or Chad Vidrine. Ken is in Opelousas area and his son is in Lafayette area. Ken had my dog finished at 9 months. Took him in at 6 months and he won 2nd in the Gueydan duck festival in the beginner division. As he was still a beginner and was his first ever fireld trial he lost to a finished dog that ran for one of the trainers mentioned above. Needless to say either one of the guys i mentioned are great.

Chad has my dog right now.
Old 04-29-2014, 09:35 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,771

Quote:
Originally Posted by papap View Post
My older brother does it in Lake Arthur. Robert Authement. He may be full up. Not sure. If you need number let me know. Ed is very good also.
X2 robert is very good. If you decide to send him to butch lmk how he turns out. I may use butch in the future. If he is anything like his mom and dad he will be a machine. Lol

Sent from my LGL45C using Tapatalk 2