SaltyCajun.com http://www.egretbaits.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 01-03-2012, 01:25 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 9,890

Quote:
Originally Posted by salteredneck View Post
pooodoooo is 1st on my list of most histerical hunts!!! I dont think i have ever laughed and shot soo much at the same time. Priceless!

i'll take that! It was pretty frickin funny watching them goofy suckers dive bombing us. Just wish i could have got you on some more ducks. Had a great hunt yesterday probably my best all year this year and we killed some ducks in gc, but yesterday was great in the burns.
Sailfish

Cash: 826
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by inchspinner View Post
Beavers....some taste better than others and some are hairless......and they play with wood all day....beavers are great.....
That's funny right there!!

+1
Sailfish

Cash: 9,130

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcnabb View Post
Yea I enjoy the prep work as well. Then again, why bother with it, specks are super easy
wooooahhh who said that? Prep work has to be there and things gotta be right. dats one smart aze bird IMO. cant just sit in a field and hope they come down.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:26 PM
Blue Marlin

Quote:
yea i enjoy the prep work as well. Then again, why bother with it, specks are super easy

not the ones i my marsh in grand chenier. Killing one of them this year will be like killing a african throphy. Them suckers want no part of anything this year.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:32 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,781

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltERedneck View Post
wooooahhh who said that? Prep work has to be there and things gotta be right. dats one smart aze bird IMO. cant just sit in a field and hope they come down.
Just a joke. Refer to post 12
Old 01-03-2012, 01:33 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,468

I have no experience yet with waterfowl so I cant really compare them. I am still gaining experience with Turkeys. At one time I would have said Dove hunting, but every year the seem to be getting harder to find. My vote will have to be Deer!!! Nothing like the job of dragging one out to let you know that you've accomplished something.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:36 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 9,130

Quote:
Just a joke. Refer to post 12
gotcha.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:37 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,001

I agree fully with Top Dawg. Specks and mallards are easy. They are easy to call and easy to kill. Turkeys are a lesson in frustration. Your competition is live hens and day in and day out the hens will win. But when you finally get that gobbler to come in, nothing beats it! Just nothing. If turkey season was during duck and goose season, I would give up ducks and geese!
Years ago we had access to a farm in Thornwell. We had 4 flambeau speck shells with no stakes. We sat on a levee, called in our specks and was usually drinin beer by 8. If you can call specks they are not difficult to kill. Same with mallards, das why everyone loves mallards. They are easy to dupe and easy to kill.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:42 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 460

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feesherman View Post
I agree fully with Top Dawg. Specks and mallards are easy. They are easy to call and easy to kill. Turkeys are a lesson in frustration. Your competition is live hens and day in and day out the hens will win. But when you finally get that gobbler to come in, nothing beats it! Just nothing. If turkey season was during duck and goose season, I would give up ducks and geese!
Years ago we had access to a farm in Thornwell. We had 4 flambeau speck shells with no stakes. We sat on a levee, called in our specks and was usually drinin beer by 8. If you can call specks they are not difficult to kill. Same with
mallards, das why everyone loves mallards. They are easy
to dupe and easy to kill.
Yup. Das my point. Have killed limits of specks in waist high grass with no decoys before. But gettin one on one with that Tom having several run ins with him only to be defeated by him. Getting to know him by name and after several frustrating weeks he stands in your sights rattlin your bones with his hair raising gobbles.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:44 PM
Blue Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by top dawg View Post
yup. Das my point. Have killed limits of specks in waist high grass with no decoys before. But gettin one on one with that tom having several run ins with him only to be defeated by him. Getting to know him by name and after several frustrating weeks he stands in your sights rattlin your bones with his hair raising gobbles.

that's it i have to try this! Will be willing to pay someone to take me on a turkey hunt. I would love to hear and see a thunder chicken strutting and gobbling.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:44 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Dawg View Post
Yup. Das my point. Have killed limits of specks in waist high grass with no decoys before. But gettin one on one with that Tom having several run ins with him only to be defeated by him. Getting to know him by name and after several frustrating weeks he stands in your sights rattlin your bones with his hair raising gobbles.

Like dat damn old loud mouth dat took me 8 camping trips and nearly all season to kill. But I got him.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:46 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUCKGOGETTER View Post
that's it i have to try this! Will be willing to pay someone to take me on a turkey hunt. I would love to hear and see a thunder chicken strutting and gobbling.
I'd be happy to teach, but it'd have to be your land and your turkeys. I hunt public, so I have to compete with hens AND other people. I cannot divulge my areas.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:48 PM
Blue Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by feesherman View Post
i'd be happy to teach, but it'd have to be your land and your turkeys. I hunt public, so i have to compete with hens and other people. I cannot divulge my areas.:d

can't help with the land only turkeys we have on my lease in grand chenier are water turkeys.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:50 PM
Ling

Cash: 1,584

Dove........by far..............wake up in time to remedy the headache from the night before, family everywhere, not too much mess to clean, good eats, hardly any cover needed...........just too much fun.

That and woodcock.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:56 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,978

Screw a Turkey, y'all can have them nasty creachers! Specklebellies and Mallards in Timber by far in my book!!!
Old 01-03-2012, 01:57 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Spook View Post
Screw a Turkey, y'all can have them nasty creachers! Specklebellies and Mallards in Timber by far in my book!!!
Don't blame you. Specks and mallards is easy and fun. Hard to pass up. I am thankfull dat turkey season doesn't run da same time as ducks and geese.
Old 01-03-2012, 02:08 PM
Blue Marlin

Duck/goose hunting period is by the far the best. Nothing like specks in the fields or ducks in the marsh. Like i always say if seeing geese or ducks coming to your decoys and calling (if that don't light your fire your woods wet).
Old 01-03-2012, 02:21 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUCKGOGETTER View Post
Duck/goose hunting period is by the far the best. Nothing like specks in the fields or ducks in the marsh. Like i always say if seeing geese or ducks coming to your decoys and calling (if that don't light your fire your woods wet).
Oh I agree it's great. But the OP asked what was our favorite. Hell I love to hunt deer too. Doves, skirls, alligators too. But my favorite is turkey.
Old 01-03-2012, 02:26 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
I think that's a part of it that makes it so fun, is it is such a challenge.
If you want a challenge, you should try to kill a wild turkey on public land or a white tail deer on public land with your bow. Now we talking challenge. Huntin specks in rice fields is fun, but I wouldn't really call it a challenge when you compare it to what I have listed above.
Old 01-03-2012, 02:42 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,628

Elk with a bow when they're bugling. A bull elk bugles at 1/2 mile, them 100 yards, then 40 yards and heads right at you when he sees the decoy your hiding behind and your stuff comes unglued!!!! Your hoping your partner shoots him before he pile drives you! Makes buck fever seem like a baby hot flash!