SaltyCajun.com http://www.geaux-outdoors.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 09-26-2016, 05:15 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,728
Default Specklebellies in a duck blind

I've always read where they say specks don't like to light around ducks so to keep decoys separated. But I see pics of people with decoys all mixed together killing geese as well. So does it come down to when you're on the X it doesn't matter what you're decoys look like, but if you're gonna pull them out of traffic it makes a difference? Just looking for some insight from some people who are more successful at it than me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-26-2016, 05:18 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,563

I've been in a blind and got some low "fly by's" by specs and killed them.
Old 09-26-2016, 05:32 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 460

We kill plenty of limits of specks over duck spreads. Has more to with blind concealment. Also specks dont like spinners.
Old 09-26-2016, 05:54 PM
Redfish

Cash: 709

Specks hate spinners, I have called specks in on just duck decoys and called ducks in on speck decoys, just where you at and how they felling that day
Old 09-26-2016, 05:58 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,063

I use a robo in a remote. I separate my duck and goose decoys. I set my goose decoys way up wind away from the blind as to have them not concentrate on the blind. Kill lots of limits of specks in a 4ft deep marsh on the reg.

Also you have to know how to call. That's helps too.
Old 09-26-2016, 06:01 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,063

I will say this though. I have a cousin and a buddy of mine who are so darn good at calling those ba$tards in they call them in with the robos going. Not sure how they do it but they are good at it
Old 09-26-2016, 06:02 PM
King Mackeral

Thanks guys. I guess I wasn't clear in my original post. I know that they hate spinners and I know that concealment is key. I have a call and know how to run it well enough and am always practicing and trying to get better.

My question was mostly in reference to speck decoy placement in relation to duck decoys and the blind and the levee and everything

Old 09-27-2016, 07:01 AM
Flounder

Cash: 863

Some days you will kill em some days you won't, sometimes they will start flaring as soon as they get over the water, the next day they will come right in
Old 09-27-2016, 07:52 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,043

Quote:
Originally Posted by AubreyLaHaye458 View Post
Thanks guys. I guess I wasn't clear in my original post. I know that they hate spinners and I know that concealment is key. I have a call and know how to run it well enough and am always practicing and trying to get better.

My question was mostly in reference to speck decoy placement in relation to duck decoys and the blind and the levee and everything

The only decoy tip I would give you is to not worry about finishing the specks right in the hole out front like most duck spreads are set. Set them where the specks will have to pass directly over the blind (in theory). I assumed that you always needed some decoys real close to the blind so they could pick out where the calling is coming from and see geese. But that was not the case for the most part. After hunting a spot a few times you'll be able to pick up on where the geese like and don't like to cross a levee or whatever while working. Use that and your wind together to get them over you and take what they give you. And I know some people like to mix pins in with their specks.
Old 09-27-2016, 12:59 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,752

not a lot of experience, but have hunted with people who do. the blinds were pure duck blinds, so geese were just a plus. so, they had the typical duck decoy spread front and back, but had 12 - 24 good decoys set out by themselves a little away from the ducks. Also if on a clean levee, had goose decoys standing on levee. Can't beat those flocked goose decoys.
Old 09-27-2016, 06:55 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 9,671

In rice field I put ducks on one side that's flooded opposite side I usually have w 2-3 inches of water and put specks on that side always 60-70 yds upwind forcing the specks to work between the decoys and levee

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 09-29-2016, 12:38 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,075

I like mixing full body specks with full body pins. Its all about fooling the bird. the levees will only play to your disadvantage if they are really tall, but if they are groomed you can put your decoys as close or as far away.
If hunting a rice field, personally, I like to put specks into family groups 3-4 birds. I'll put all my full bodies on one side of the levee up wind of me and have 3-4 down wind coming straight across the blind. As much as I like decoying birds, Your ideal shot are birds on top of you. Having a spread like I am saying, allows me to get those birds to focus on one flock of birds then focus on another flock of birds. Concealment is huge because of how the birds are working. But it also takes the focus of the birds off the blind and onto the other group once the pass up the first group.

I hope you understand what I am trying to say lol I can try and get a picture drawn up as to what I mean if you don't understand
Old 09-29-2016, 12:56 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by speck-addict View Post
I like mixing full body specks with full body pins. Its all about fooling the bird. the levees will only play to your disadvantage if they are really tall, but if they are groomed you can put your decoys as close or as far away.
If hunting a rice field, personally, I like to put specks into family groups 3-4 birds. I'll put all my full bodies on one side of the levee up wind of me and have 3-4 down wind coming straight across the blind. As much as I like decoying birds, Your ideal shot are birds on top of you. Having a spread like I am saying, allows me to get those birds to focus on one flock of birds then focus on another flock of birds. Concealment is huge because of how the birds are working. But it also takes the focus of the birds off the blind and onto the other group once the pass up the first group.

I hope you understand what I am trying to say lol I can try and get a picture drawn up as to what I mean if you don't understand

Very good info sir! Thank you! It is rice but they will be craw fishing it so I'm thinking full bodies will be sketchy unless I can make some adjustments. If you can get that drawn up I would really appreciate the visualization.

Old 09-29-2016, 01:16 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 460

Quote:
Originally Posted by AubreyLaHaye458 View Post
Very good info sir! Thank you! It is rice but they will be craw fishing it so I'm thinking full bodies will be sketchy unless I can make some adjustments. If you can get that drawn up I would really appreciate the visualization.

If its going to be crawfished its going to be tough to kill much of anything out of it.
Old 09-30-2016, 10:06 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 866

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Dawg View Post
If its going to be crawfished its going to be tough to kill much of anything out of it.
early in the season, water is good... everything is looking for water. if you just flew across country, wouldnt you look for water. so my opinion, early season water is more of an advantage. later in the year i would say water will be tougher to consistently kill over.

obviously we are talking about 2+ feet of water since it a crawfish pond, and not 8-10"
Old 09-30-2016, 11:02 AM
Ling

Cash: 1,584

Quote:

solid strategy..........I set family groups as far as 60 yards up wind.........
Old 09-30-2016, 12:28 PM
Trophy Trout

Yep I will get a draw up today for you.

Also geese don't know how deep water is until they land, Little cheat i use 1/4 Re-bar or how ever you spell it get the length you need and use full body's all about confusing the bird!
Old 09-30-2016, 12:46 PM
Trophy Trout

So this is a rough drawing. If there is something you don't understand feel free to let me know. This drawing was assuming birds were coming out the south. Water on the south end of blind dry on the north end. Your ideal shot on these birds are on top of the blind. Generic duck decoy set up. Means nothing. Use the set up you are comfortable with.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1062.jpg (43.3 KB, 346 views)
Old 09-30-2016, 02:28 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Yep I will get a draw up today for you.

Also geese don't know how deep water is until they land, Little cheat i use 1/4 Re-bar or how ever you spell it get the length you need and use full body's all about confusing the bird!

Thanks for the drawing! Very helpful!

Old 09-30-2016, 02:28 PM
King Mackeral

How do y'all use snow/blue decoys in relation to specks?