SaltyCajun.com http://redtunashirtclub.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 08-16-2010, 09:16 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,864
Default Homeowners Insurance in LA

I am shopping for a new homeowner insurance agency and can't find anyone writing in Louisiana. I have America First but want to shop rates. Does anyone have any ideas? I was told by Farm Bureau that they would write it but would exclude wind damage and I would have to buy that from LA Citizens (which I was told was expensive).

Any suggestions?
Old 08-16-2010, 09:40 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,749

I have farm bureau and its exactly like they told you, but I dont remember it being that expensive, I also did not shop around I already deal with farm bureau
Old 08-16-2010, 10:57 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 930

It's hard to find it during hurricane season. Many of them stop writing until it's over
Old 08-17-2010, 06:16 AM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 5,316

go with safeco for your homeowners and auto . they arnt big in la so they didnt get hammered with all the hurricane claims ect..
Old 08-17-2010, 06:53 AM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 2,142

I got state farm......no one could even come close on the price. They don't deal in citizens at all!!! My house is 1100 a year. You get a discount if you insure your car thru them too.......
Old 08-17-2010, 06:55 AM
Blue Marlin

Forgot.......EVERY other insurance was over 2000 a year......every one of them was involved with citizens
Old 08-17-2010, 10:17 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 1,334

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dink View Post
I got state farm......no one could even come close on the price. They don't deal in citizens at all!!! My house is 1100 a year. You get a discount if you insure your car thru them too.......
Wrong Dink, every agent in Louisiana has a contract with La Citizens even State Farm. I believe SF just recieved a 22% increase on their HO policies so get ready for it.
Old 08-17-2010, 10:20 AM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadabite View Post
It's hard to find it during hurricane season. Many of them stop writing until it's over
The only when a storm is in the gulf do they shut down. All other times they can bind coverage at will. Flood insurance has a 30 day wait if it is not purchased as part of a loan process.
Old 08-17-2010, 10:21 AM
Blue Marlin

I specifically asked about it and they said no.......that's the main reason I went with them......the price reflects it too.......la citizens is high high!! I switched to them 2 ygs ago......
Old 08-17-2010, 10:29 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 652

I was informed by our insurance company last year we had to get a Hail and Wind policy for our house. It had to go through Citizens, there was no other choice. Louisiana is terrible about insurance. And we have an Insurance Commisioner, what the hell does he do? It is a racket.
Old 08-17-2010, 10:32 AM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 3,546

Quote:
Originally Posted by tumbleweed View Post
I was informed by our insurance company last year we had to get a Hail and Wind policy for our house. It had to go through Citizens, there was no other choice. Louisiana is terrible about insurance. And we have an Insurance Commisioner, what the hell does he do? It is a racket.
Most of them wind up in prison in our great state!
Old 08-17-2010, 10:32 AM
Sailfish

Your price has nothing to do with whether or not a company writes through LAC. SF and others all use LAC to place business that they cannot write thorugh standard companies, it is a resource no different than you selling a low end safe when that is all there is money for but the client needs a safe.

The assessement everyone in Louisiana pays on their homeowners insurance is debt payment from Rita/Katrina.
Old 08-17-2010, 10:46 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,749

just talked to the wife we pay bout 1800$ year total with farm bureau and the la citizens, just citizens is bout 1200$ a year.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:35 AM
Redfish

Cash: 700

i had state farm last year and my premium went from 1450 to 1950 in july, i said hell no and went with liberty mutual and i'm back at the 1450 range. 500.00 in one year that is rediculous.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:42 AM
Blue Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by basinhunterfisher View Post
i had state farm last year and my premium went from 1450 to 1950 in july, i said hell no and went with liberty mutual and i'm back at the 1450 range. 500.00 in one year that is rediculous.
Mine jumped like that two years in a row with Farm Bureau(sp?). I switched to Foremost and they were cheaper but, now, they just jumped $400/yr with no claims filed! Looking into State Farm right now and they are looking at $1600/yr. That's $600/yr less than Foremost with more coverage! I will likely have to do this in another two years again!

Insurance is a pain in the @$$!!!
Old 08-17-2010, 11:46 AM
Ling

Cash: 4,801

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
Wrong Dink, every agent in Louisiana has a contract with La Citizens even State Farm. I believe SF just recieved a 22% increase on their HO policies so get ready for it.
my wife, who works for state farm, said the same thing. Our insurance on my house that i just sold was going to go up 400 bucks a year with state farm but the coverage and service has been great. Maybe thats because i keep my service girl happy most nights .
Old 08-17-2010, 12:20 PM
Flounder

Cash: 646
Default i shopped prices a few weeks ago

i have america first also and i was attempting to get rid of them.

i found that no one could provide the same coverage for the price - i'm lucky enough that i don't have a "named storm" or wind deductible or whatever its called, i had the policy before katrina and rita.

i shopped state farm and all state...they could match price but not amount of coverage - they also require a "named storm" deductible.

i've had la citizens on a previous home and never had problems other than the CEO or VP being on trial for corruption...but i din't inquire about them this time.
Old 08-17-2010, 12:26 PM
Blue Marlin

State Farm claims a "named storm" deductible but, if you switch your vehicle over too, that goes away and you only have the usual 2% ded. You also get a 20% discount for switching your vehicle over.

All in all, I swear they just try to run you in circles to keep you confused!
Old 08-17-2010, 12:35 PM
Ling

Cash: 4,801

Quote:
Originally Posted by southern151 View Post
State Farm claims a "named storm" deductible but, if you switch your vehicle over too, that goes away and you only have the usual 2% ded. You also get a 20% discount for switching your vehicle over.

All in all, I swear they just try to run you in circles to keep you confused!
i tell my wife this all the time, then when i go to her state farm banquets and they talk about how good as a company they did that year but how they are losing money blah blah blah and we are eating steaks at lauberge...really must be hurting
Old 08-17-2010, 02:12 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Braquet View Post
my wife, who works for state farm, said the same thing. Our insurance on my house that i just sold was going to go up 400 bucks a year with state farm but the coverage and service has been great. Maybe thats because i keep my service girl happy most nights .
Guess you have her fill out a Satisfaction Questionaire