SaltyCajun.com http://www.budnmarys.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > The Shooting Range (Guns & Ammo)

The Shooting Range (Guns & Ammo) Discuss anything related to firearms and ammunition here!

Old 03-14-2013, 09:23 AM
Entering A World of Pain

Cash: 9,545
Default Colorado to ban mags w/ more than 15 rounds

Slowly state by state it will happen...keep your head in the sand....

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingne...-up-final-vote

Now only the signature of Democratic Gov. John Hickenlooper is needed on a bill that bans Coloradans from purchasing ammunition magazines of more than 15 rounds, as lawmakers in the House on Wednesday gave final approval to the measure and shipped it to his desk.
Amid staunch opposition from Republicans who said the bill is futile and riddled with flaws, the Democrat-controlled House passed the measure on a 34-30 vote .

Reps. Leroy Garcia of Pueblo, Steve Lebsock of Thornton and Ed Vigil of Fort Garland were the only Democrats to join all Republican lawmakers in opposition.
Hickenlooper said he would sign the measure if it arrived on his desk.

"I'm just numb at this moment, to see a bill I've worked hard to pass now enter its final stage on the way to becoming law," said Rep. Rhonda Fields, D-Aurora, who sponsored the legislation. "It's good public policy, and it's going to keep Coloradans safe."

Lawmakers in the House passed the ammunition magazine limit in February. Wednesday's vote was needed for amendments added by the Senate, which passed it on Monday after several hours of debate.

Fields said banning magazines of more than 15 rounds will help stop mass shootings like the Aurora theater killings.
"These magazines should be used in our theaters of war, not our movie theaters," Fields said.

Republicans, through much of the four-hour debate Wednesday, contested that assessment, arguing the measure will not keep citizens safe and calling it nothing more than feel-good legislation.

"It does zero to enhance public safety," said House Minority Leader Mark Waller, R-Colorado Springs . "We're saying Coloradans can't own these magazines, but they can still be manufactured here? We can sell these magazines to other states, but hold on, when it comes to owning one the answer is no. It's hypocritical."

Under House Bill 1224, manufacturers would be required to date each magazine produced in the state after the law goes into effect. Anyone who currently possesses a magazine that holds more than 15 rounds is able to keep it, though if they transfer or sell the magazine, the seller would face a Class 2 misdemeanor charge.

"There's no confiscation involved," Fields said. "But if you're caught breaking the law, like with everything else, you're going to have to face consequences."

The House on Wednesday also was set to give a final vote to House Bill 1229, which requires universal gun background checks and passed through the chamber in February. But that item was held up and now heads to a conference committee Thursday where lawmakers will settle lingering issues about language in the bill.
"Hunting clubs could be required to have patrons all undergo a background check before going out on the hunt," said Rep. Beth McCann,

D-Denver, the bill's co-sponsor. "And that's too broad, so we'll look to tighten the language."

With House Bill 1224 headed to the governor's desk, Colorado joins New York as the first states to pass stricter gun laws after the shooting at an elementary school in Newtown, Conn., ignited the national debate over guns.

New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg's national gun-control group, Mayors
Against Illegal Guns, has waded into the debate over magazine limits and background checks in Colorado by enlisting a handful of local lobbyists. So far the group has spent $9,000 in lobbying efforts but has a $25,000 contract it has yet to pay to the Denver-based firm Headwaters Strategies.

"It's just tough to see East Coast groups making laws here in Colorado," Waller said.

Read more: 15-round magazine ammo limit gets final OK in Colorado House - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/breakingne...#ixzz2NWYDdBDX
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse
Follow us: @Denverpost on Twitter | Denverpost on Facebook
The cops are the experts on the current criminal trends. If they have determined that a “high capacity” semiautomatic pistol and a .223 semiautomatic rifle with 30-round magazines are the best firearms for them to use to protect people like me and my family, they are obviously the best things for us to use to protect ourselves and our families .
Old 03-14-2013, 04:29 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452

Colorado has taken a hard turn to the left and is running fast to become the most liberal state in the country. The recent RKBA infringements are merely a symptom of a much deeper problem. CO has recently legalized marijuana, approved civil unions of homosexuals, and generally opposes whatever limitation on use of the natural resources they can. Even the normally conservative Colorado Springs has just banned certain oil recovery techniques within the city limits. The Republicans are generally spineless and unable to effectively to stand up to liberal foolishness at any level.

Some may see the legislative move to overturn a long-standing law against adultery as progress, but I certainly don't. If you do, I recommend a second opinion from your wife.

Colorado is now blazing a trail for NY and CA to follow.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:51 AM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 3,546

Colorado today is nothing more than far-east California. Since the mid 90's, Californians have been flooding the place to escape the poor economic and governmental control that they once lived in. Now, at least some of the ideals they sought to flee are catching up to them. It makes me sick really.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:52 AM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by southern151 View Post
Colorado today is nothing more than far-east California. Since the mid 90's, Californians have been flooding the place to escape the poor economic and governmental control that they once lived in. Now, at least some of the ideals they sought to flee are catching up to them. It makes me sick really.
Believe me, it has hurt me (and my family) more than it has hurt you.

The good news is that while I still have a couple of months before I can get out of dodge, my children have already made their escape and I'm bringing my wife and boat down to LA next week in anticipation of my escape in May. Who knows, depending on the level of government shutdown, I may be able to complete my escape next week.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:06 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 2,464

where did yall decide to settle down and call home?
Old 03-15-2013, 11:11 AM
Blue Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathGeek View Post
Believe me, it has hurt me (and my family) more than it has hurt you.

The good news is that while I still have a couple of months before I can get out of dodge, my children have already made their escape and I'm bringing my wife and boat down to LA next week in anticipation of my escape in May. Who knows, depending on the level of government shutdown, I may be able to complete my escape next week.
I'm sure it has. I have a good friend that still lives up there as well as family. They are all looking to leave in the near future as well.

I spent a good bit of my time there when I was younger. I mainly trampled around the Westminister area. It amazes and, saddens me to see how far that beautiful state has fallen from grace.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:13 AM
Blue Marlin

Oh yeah, we'd be glad to have ya here! Bring all the 30 rd mags ya want! Hell, bring Magpul with you on your journey back south!
Old 03-15-2013, 04:25 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedeater View Post
where did yall decide to settle down and call home?
The family is going to land in BR metro for now, hoping to move more rural, get a little elbow room, and be closer to quality inshore fishing before too long.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:04 PM
Blue Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathGeek View Post
The family is going to land in BR metro for now, hoping to move more rural, get a little elbow room, and be closer to quality inshore fishing before too long.
Let me know when you get here. I'm down the street in Gonzales. May be able to show you around alittle.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:00 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,502

It just seems so unreal to me that a state that legalized marijuana is tightening up on gun laws "how rediculous", but then again it fits about right where this country is heading
Old 03-18-2013, 01:00 PM
Entering A World of Pain

Cash: 9,545

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msucowpoke51 View Post
It just seems so unreal to me that a state that legalized marijuana is tightening up on gun laws "how rediculous", but then again it fits about right where this country is heading
the irony is amazing...lol
The cops are the experts on the current criminal trends. If they have determined that a “high capacity” semiautomatic pistol and a .223 semiautomatic rifle with 30-round magazines are the best firearms for them to use to protect people like me and my family, they are obviously the best things for us to use to protect ourselves and our families .