SaltyCajun.com http://www.gator-tail.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hobby Forums > The Trading Floor (Investing, Stocks, Bonds)

The Trading Floor (Investing, Stocks, Bonds) Discuss investing and investments here! Do your own due diligence before investing. We are not responsible for any advice or recommendations within this forum!

Old 10-08-2009, 09:48 AM
Banned

what percentage of an average working man's salary should be set aside without cutting into quality of life?
Old 10-08-2009, 09:57 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 813

that my friend is the great american debate. Average seems to be around at least 10% per year. Some do more, some do much much less.

I drive an older truck thats paid off. I put a "truck note" into my IRA every month. Plus contribute 15% into my 401k.

My buddy doesn't put but $50 a month in his IRA, has no 401k, but drives a new Ford King Ranch. I keep telling him our roles will be dramatically reversed come retirement time, yet he doesn't seem to care. Most people our age don't think long term like that. Its a instant gratification world now days.

Its really all up to you!

Last edited by cmdrost; 10-08-2009 at 10:12 AM.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:01 AM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

Bruce does your company match you? Our matches us 1 for 1 up too 6% so what Ever I put thay match.... I staterd out with 10% before I was married now I put in 8 %
Old 10-08-2009, 10:13 AM
Red Snapper

If you have a company match, at LEAST contribute what they match. My company is only the first 4%, and yet I find it comical that some still don't take advantage of the "free" money.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:15 AM
Great White

Cash: 1,217

My company matches up to 10% on the 401K after year 10.
Year 1 to 5 is only 2.5%. Year 5 to 10 is 5%.
We can also put up to 15%, before taxes, in another account, not matched by the co.
We can also set aside up to $9500 per year, in monthly deductions from our check and buy company stock at a 15% discount on the first trading day of the following year. When mine us purchased, I sell right away and get my 15%, then invest in a Mutual Fund and hope for the best.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:28 AM
Catch fish in DA face!!

[quote=cmdrost;58567]If you have a company match, at LEAST contribute what they match. My company is only the first 4%, and yet I find it comical that some still don't take advantage of the "free" money.[/quote]

We have guys that work with us...Who lose 6% free money every pay check....We get paid twice a month so its like 12% of there month gross of free money they lose..... Dont understand this you give 6% they give 6%...easy for me
Old 10-08-2009, 10:37 AM
Banned

mine does match and i'm taking advantage of that
Old 10-08-2009, 10:50 AM
Entering A World of Pain

Cash: 9,547

My comp matches a 100% for an IRA...no 401k.
Old 10-08-2009, 11:50 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 1,334

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrost View Post
that my friend is the great american debate. Average seems to be around at least 10% per year. Some do more, some do much much less.

I drive an older truck thats paid off. I put a "truck note" into my IRA every month. Plus contribute 15% into my 401k.

My buddy doesn't put but $50 a month in his IRA, has no 401k, but drives a new Ford King Ranch. I keep telling him our roles will be dramatically reversed come retirement time, yet he doesn't seem to care. Most people our age don't think long term like that. Its a instant gratification world now days.

Its really all up to you!
Starting the same investment plan in November, my truck is paid off this month!!!!!!
Old 10-08-2009, 02:29 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaAngler View Post
what percentage of an average working man's salary should be set aside without cutting into quality of life?

Bruce, I would say that a married guy with children should save at least 6 % of their goss income. Single guy should save 12 %.

Expences that really slow down the retirement savings [House, Vehicle, boat, etc.] should really be well though out. IMO.....most people spend way too much on these major purchase.

Something to think about: What did you spend money on in the past week [or month] that you could have just as easily put that money into savings? An not miss what you spent the money on?
Old 10-08-2009, 03:03 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald View Post
Bruce, I would say that a married guy with children should save at least 6 % of their goss income. Single guy should save 12 %.

Expences that really slow down the retirement savings [House, Vehicle, boat, etc.] should really be well though out. IMO.....most people spend way too much on these major purchase.

Something to think about: What did you spend money on in the past week [or month] that you could have just as easily put that money into savings? An not miss what you spent the money on?

Good info Mr Gerald.... I try to stuff what money I can away.... If you pay yourself 1st you cant lose.... I was taught that at a young age...... Before you pay anything pay yourself 1st.... I should be able to retire (If all go right) @ 55 and pick up SS (maybe) @62 and live good!!! But this all can change tomorrow!!!
Old 10-08-2009, 03:14 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 1,334

Quote:
Originally Posted by "W" View Post
Good info Mr Gerald.... I try to stuff what money I can away.... If you pay yourself 1st you cant lose.... I was taught that at a young age...... Before you pay anything pay yourself 1st.... I should be able to retire (If all go right) @ 55 and pick up SS (maybe) @62 and live good!!! But this all can change tomorrow!!!
SS age will going to 70 very soon and possibly 75 before you get there!
Old 10-08-2009, 03:19 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 587
Default Fo Sho!

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Little View Post
SS age will going to 70 very soon and possibly 75 before you get there!
I'm tempted to agree with you on this but don't worry....Broke Bamma will just borrow a gazillion dollars from China AGAIN!!! Hell, what's all this talk about saving for? We should all just let the Prezz take care of us for the rest of our lives. I think he should by my next boat for me. The Fed. can just print more money and send me a check monthly.

They are screwing everything up!!!!!!

Anyone wanna move to the Caymen Islands with me?
Old 10-08-2009, 03:30 PM
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tete Dur View Post
I'm tempted to agree with you on this but don't worry....Broke Bamma will just borrow a gazillion dollars from China AGAIN!!! Hell, what's all this talk about saving for? We should all just let the Prezz take care of us for the rest of our lives. I think he should by my next boat for me. The Fed. can just print more money and send me a check monthly.

They are screwing everything up!!!!!!

Anyone wanna move to the Caymen Islands with me?
Costa Rica baby.
Old 10-08-2009, 03:34 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 587
Default Up for it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray View Post
Costa Rica baby.
I'm really up for anything with blue/green water, beautiful beaches, and good fishing. I'm just thinking that Costa Rica may be a little to close to all the drug lords for my taste. Don't want to get shot up trying to go fishing by some drug runner coming from Columbia or Panama.
Old 10-08-2009, 03:37 PM
Entering A World of Pain

Cash: 9,547

Quote:
Costa Rica baby.
When we leaving??
Old 10-08-2009, 03:49 PM
Red Snapper

"Costa Rica"

yep...I've already said I'd move there in a heart beat
Old 10-08-2009, 04:11 PM
Great White

I have fished on the Pacific Coast of Costa Rica. In the off season, my wife and I caught 3 Sails and 3 Mahi. Very quiet country, very laid back people, no beggers like Mexico and other resort countries. Lots of Americans already there. There is an American Medical School and facility there already. Low cost except if you settle in a resort. My wife loved it just as much as I did. They have the same tempertures almost year round. Just have 2 seasons, rainy season and dry season.
We saw ZERO violence and heard of none. They don't have a military, the US military and Coast Guard protects the country.
We are already thinking about retirement down there. We are thinking about buying a piece of property on the Pacific side, not on the water but close and want to build a house after retirement and move there.
It might sound far fetched, but the Americans we talked to over there said it is paradise. Retirement funds over there go a lot farther than over here.
Old 10-08-2009, 06:24 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

It takes years of planning and saving and wise investments to retire early.

I have been retired [@ age of 53] since early in 2000. During the last couple of years that I worked.....I made a lot more money in the stock market and other investments than what I made working.

The down turn of the stock market started [March 2000] shortly after I retired and continued for several more down years. It was frighting to see my investments srink but I have survived the situation........Retiremnet has been great and would not have changed anything.

I can go hunting and fishing anytime I want to.....but now my body will not let me go every day without letting me know it needs some rest.
Old 10-08-2009, 06:48 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 654

I was taught like W. Pay yourself first. When I first started to save for retirement I started off small. Like 4 percent. I was single then and it was hard. But every time I got a raise I would raise the percentage I saved accordingly. I lived by the rule that the money is untouchable. Not only the money saved but the money taken out of each check also. It is like I really dont make that money. If I want to buy a big ticket item I never ever used that income to cover a note. It is not even considered in my reserve for hard times money. It was hard at first to get a big raise and then put a good portion of it to my retirement, but it is now second nature. It it easy to say that you will use 2 percent for a year or so and then go back to saving it. the reality is that you will never get that money back and you probably will never get back to the level you were saving before. Not saying this is the best method but it has worked for me.