SaltyCajun.com http://k2-coolers.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 09-20-2015, 11:26 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,461
Default How to sink a blind deep?

I have a 2 man blind I need to sink in the marsh and I was looking for some tips. The plan is to sink blind in the middle of a pond that stays about 1ft deep.
The blind is 48"X24"48". I want to sink this one real low leaving about 8"-12" above water line.
Do y'all have any on securing the blind and prevent it from popping up?
Old 09-20-2015, 12:00 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,728

Trailer house anchors with chain or cable. And angle iron welded across the bottom with about a foot of overhang off each side and lay a 2x12 on there when you put the blind in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-20-2015, 12:07 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,962

Use 20' 2X6's.. sink them in a .. Like at a 45 deg. angle. Cut small 45 deg. notchs in the 2X6's and they won't come out of muddd...

Fill blind with water to the top.. Leave water in for a week or so... Bolt your 2x6's to blind.

Brace blind with wood where U going to drill our bolt holes on both sides. Oh,, Put a point on end of 2x6' it will help .. This is the only way u going to a blind say in middle of a pond..

Last edited by biggun; 09-20-2015 at 12:23 PM.
Old 09-20-2015, 09:12 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 678

Any pics of these kinda anchoring setups ?
Biggun and aubrey?
Old 09-20-2015, 09:27 PM
Red Snapper

Default Thanks for the input

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggun View Post
Use 20' 2X6's.. sink them in a .. Like at a 45 deg. angle. Cut small 45 deg. notchs in the 2X6's and they won't come out of muddd...

Fill blind with water to the top.. Leave water in for a week or so... Bolt your 2x6's to blind.

Brace blind with wood where U going to drill our bolt holes on both sides. Oh,, Put a point on end of 2x6' it will help .. This is the only way u going to a blind say in middle of a pond..
Thank your sir that's excellent advice, especially angling the anchors. I know it's going to provide a better anchor but driving them 2X6's at an angle sounds like a PITA. I want to sink this blind real low; so I will prob go with 4 angled 2X6's on each corner and maybe a few vertical 12ft 2x4's with 1x6 stingers on the end. Does that sound adequate to you?

I'm will post some pics; building the frame in my yard for ease of installation. I plan to secure the frame 1st with some untreated 2X4's to provide a stable work platform then drive in the anchors.
Old 09-20-2015, 10:29 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,728

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGcoreg View Post
Any pics of these kinda anchoring setups ?
Biggun and aubrey?

I just re-read your initial post and my plan won't work. You would need it to dry up at least once to do it my way. Sorry

Old 09-20-2015, 11:01 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by AubreyLaHaye458 View Post
I just re-read your initial post and my plan won't work. You would need it to dry up at least once to do it my way. Sorry

No problem I assumed your were talking about a field blind.
Old 09-20-2015, 11:20 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,962

U want to angle your 2X6 to where when u drive them the ends will be lower than where U want to bolt them...

Once u have your blind at the height U want lay your boards on the 6" flat. drive your boards. When U get to the end pull up on the board.. To put board under tension...

That when U bolt it to blind. Driving your boards in an X pattern...

If U contact me I can tell U how.. Anchors are Only needed on your sides.. Not front or back.

BTW.. 24" top opening is a little small.. I'd go with about 26-28' top opening.. IMO 24'' doesn't allow u to turn around easily..
Old 09-21-2015, 12:09 AM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggun View Post
U want to angle your 2X6 to where when u drive them the ends will be lower than where U want to bolt them...

Once u have your blind at the height U want lay your boards on the 6" flat. drive your boards. When U get to the end pull up on the board.. To put board under tension...

That when U bolt it to blind. Driving your boards in an X pattern...

If U contact me I can tell U how.. Anchors are Only needed on your sides.. Not front or back.

BTW.. 24" top opening is a little small.. I'd go with about 26-28' top opening.. IMO 24'' doesn't allow u to turn around easily..
Now I Gotchya

Your correct 26-28" would be ideal but this blind was free and is being repurposed. We have a couple other larger comfortable blinds, but the one I'm sinking will be a "take your aggression out on mottled ducks and mallards in the second split blind."

I will call you after I finish the frame, thanks again.