SaltyCajun.com http://www.angler-products.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 06-07-2016, 09:05 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 595

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico View Post
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Old 06-08-2016, 02:31 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,074

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico View Post
One more question. I have a 19 ft bay stealth. From you guys experience what wind speed or seas would you call it a no go for big lake? Just looking for a starting point because I drive from Jennings to get there.

With big lake it all depends on the tide and where you are in the lake. To me the lake seems to be worst on North winds. Especially if the tide is coming in. All that water seems to meet up just south of Commissary Point. The seas can look manageable from Hebert's only to come around the point and find stacked 3 footers. The washout area of the ship channel gets bad pretty much anytime the wind and tide are at odds. I am pretty sure it opens up into another dimension with a rising tide and a NE Wind. Tidal range and speed are nearly as import as wind when trying to guestimate the lakes conditions.

So the lake may be fine to cross in 15 mph winds one minute and a nightmare the next. Days where the forecasted winds are 10-15 are doable if you avoid certain situations but they still aren't all that fun and easy to fish in. If you go in anything breezier than that don't take any women, children, or anyone who isn't really mad at fish. Use an app that predicts the gust as well. All 15 mph winds are not created equal. If its gusting its twice as bad.

My best fishing trips seem to happen on windy days most people wouldn't dream of getting in a boat. They are rare. Most days the wind is howling turn out to be long, wet, and fish-less.