SaltyCajun.com http://louisianaofficesystems.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 05-15-2009, 05:55 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 5,316
Default 115 yamaha 4 stoke

3 weeks ago i was trailering my boat and when we got to the camp i noticed the motor was trimmed all the way up and it was still making the noise like the switch was stuck it ran down my cranking battery so i charged it and it was fin then yeaterday i went outside and the same thing only this time when i plugged in the onboard charger the light was blinking for the cranking batt, signaling something was wrong with the connection so i jumped it and it was able to trim back down. the motor is a yamaha 115 4 stroke does anyone have similar problems or could shed some light on where i should start.
thanks
mike
Old 05-15-2009, 07:57 PM
Redfish

Cash: 650

First id disconnect the battery and charge it over night. Reconnect the battery after the battery is fully charged. Check each one of the trim switches to see if they function correctly. on your boat does the key have to be on for the trim switch to work, if so it might the switch on the motor giving you problems. i did have a problem with the solenoid sticking on mine. I replace the solenoid pod. it was about 120 dollars.

How many trim switch you have on your boat?
Old 05-15-2009, 08:11 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 647

I've seen this happen too. Usually it's the switch on the motor that gives the problems. You might want to simply disable it as a quick fix. That's what I did. When I had some real time on my hands I ordered the part and swapped out the switch.
Old 05-16-2009, 01:13 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

Coach

When you say "switch" is this really a relay. They are about 1" square on my engine.

Or is there a switch on the motor?
Old 05-16-2009, 01:33 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 647

Gerald, Usually outboards have a rocker switch on the side of the motor so you can raise and lower it at the motor instead of having to do it at the helm. If you don't have one, that eliminates that possibility. It's an UP/DOWN button found usually on the starboard side, but I've seen them on the port side on Yammies. Mine was easy to access just by taking the cowling off and looking down just inside lower engine cover. I clipped the wires and put electrical tape on the leads until I could fix it properly.

These switches are vulnerable to corrosion due to their location. Saltwater is not good for electrical stuff

I hope that helps. If this isn't the cause, then it could be the switch at the helm or another problem at another location. It's worth a check as it is a common problem.

CAVEAT: I'm not a mechanic or an electrician. I make stuff up as I go along and I apply common sense where my knowledge is ridiculously lacking. I usually figure it out, but not always. Sometimes I screw things up so bad, I have to pay someone to clean up my mess.