SaltyCajun.com http://www.lakecharlesurgentcare.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 05-06-2009, 01:37 PM
Flounder

Cash: 600
Default Any bow hunters here?

My first bow buck shot 2 years ago and none since, scored 121" with 21 inch inside spread.

Also, when I got my first bow shown in the picture with the buck, not lying, the first two arrows I shot out of it robinhooded. The tech that set my brand new bow up was standing right next to me, along with others on the indoor range at Viking Archery here in Houston. What are the odds of that? Hoyt Vectrix.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BowBuck.jpg (52.0 KB, 108 views)
File Type: jpg 7101b.JPG (12.4 KB, 107 views)
Old 05-06-2009, 01:43 PM
Ling

Cash: 2,477
Default Not Bad

Helluva deer as your 1st bow buck! Been asked If a bow hunt a little. I normally reply Nah....I bow hunt alot! 67 with a string & stick.
Stickin with my Ol Mathews, have a bowtech for a backup.
Old 05-06-2009, 01:44 PM
Redfish

Cash: 53

Yup i bow hunt,have for the last ten years,in Refugio Texas have a ;ease there for 8 years off of 202hwy grew up there.Shoot the PSE Carrera with the orion cam.
Old 05-06-2009, 01:44 PM
Redfish

Nice deer BTW.
Old 05-06-2009, 01:47 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 650

Nice deer. I just started 2 years ago, still no buck.
Old 05-06-2009, 01:59 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 683

What did you do IJ? Set up a blind in the Cedar and spread some corn around on the concrete? At least you swept all the corn away before taking the picture.
Old 05-06-2009, 02:02 PM
Flounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtretrievers View Post
Helluva deer as your 1st bow buck! Been asked If a bow hunt a little. I normally reply Nah....I bow hunt alot! 67 with a string & stick.
Stickin with my Ol Mathews, have a bowtech for a backup.
wow, that's alot of animals with a bow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROOSTER View Post
Yup i bow hunt,have for the last ten years,in Refugio Texas have a ;ease there for 8 years off of 202hwy grew up there.Shoot the PSE Carrera with the orion cam.
I grew up hunting near there for about 20 years... we had a lease if you turn right at the flashing light in Woodsboro, go down 10 miles, then turn left about 3 miles back into the woods along medio creek, bordered some Welder property and others... shot a 148 and a 151 back there.

this is the high 140's deer, 7 1/2 years old according to taxidermist and warden
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7100.jpg (23.7 KB, 105 views)
Old 05-06-2009, 02:04 PM
Flounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by FREON View Post
What did you do IJ? Set up a blind in the Cedar and spread some corn around on the concrete? At least you swept all the corn away before taking the picture.
ok punk, here's a field shot after I found him...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BuckInField.jpg (63.3 KB, 104 views)
Old 05-06-2009, 02:07 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 683

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfamousJ View Post
You mean after you wiped the corn off his mouth and you and C-more drug him off of the road.
Old 05-06-2009, 02:10 PM
Flounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by FREON View Post
You mean after you wiped the corn off his mouth and you and C-more drug him off of the road.
puhhh-leeeeze, not everyone hunts like you do... but yes, there was a feeder involved in the crime scene...
Old 05-06-2009, 02:41 PM
Sand Trout

Quote:

After you found him???

How long did you have to look? He's laying out in the wide open!! My bad maybe he was laying under one of those sticks on the left.
Old 05-06-2009, 03:05 PM
Sand Trout

Heres a few for you LA boys.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Childress Hunt with Tommy Husband 016.jpg (36.5 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg Ranger Creek 8pt 004.jpg (95.0 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0001.jpg (77.2 KB, 93 views)
Old 05-06-2009, 04:02 PM
Redfish

Quote:
wow, that's alot of animals with a bow.

I grew up hunting near there for about 20 years... we had a lease if you turn right at the flashing light in Woodsboro, go down 10 miles, then turn left about 3 miles back into the woods along medio creek, bordered some Welder property and others... shot a 148 and a 151 back there.

this is the high 140's deer, 7 1/2 years old according to taxidermist and warden
Yea i know the area well,across from the Dairy Queen.Or are you talking about Kelly rd? either way thats some great hunting.My family own's land down hwy 774 going towards the Refuge.
Old 05-06-2009, 04:04 PM
Redfish

I also hunt in Woodsboro too on some of the Rouke land,but they only let you stick pigs,no deer at all.
Old 05-06-2009, 04:29 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,902

get you some
Old 05-06-2009, 04:53 PM
Flounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugeater View Post
After you found him???

How long did you have to look? He's laying out in the wide open!! My bad maybe he was laying under one of those sticks on the left.
you know, I'll be nice to you now cause I just completely became a believer you are a total idiot. Ever heard of dragging a deer out of the woods? especially to a spot that looks good for a photo like a clearing with good background? oh, you think a bow drops them in their tracks? I see...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROOSTER View Post
Yea i know the area well,across from the Dairy Queen.Or are you talking about Kelly rd? either way thats some great hunting.My family own's land down hwy 774 going towards the Refuge.
Yes, turn right at the flashing light by DQ like you are heading back toward the refugio beeville hwy. 10 miles down past the big sharp right curver, about a mile short of the medio creek bridge, then left into the woods.
Old 05-06-2009, 05:24 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 643

Around age 10 my dad got me one of those little badass compound bow beginner kits. Of course, the first month I went around our land sticking arrows in anything that could get stuck by an arrow. Did you know that a 1955 40 horse Farmall tractor will take 6 rounds before it goes down? Tough sumbich.

That got boring, so being the 10 yr. old Dukes of Hazzard fan that I was, I quickly advanced to taking strips of cut up T-shirt doused in chainsaw gas tied around the end and was sending flaming arrows all over the place. Keep in mind this was 99.999% humidity swampland so there really wasn’t any fire danger. Ill put it this way, a set of post-hole diggers and a 3ft. hole and you had yourself a well.

One summer afternoon, I was shooting flaming arrows into a large rotten oak stump in our backyard. I looked over under the carport and see a shiny brand new can of starting fluid (ether). The light bulb went off. I grabbed the can and set it on the stump. I thought that it would probably just spray out in a disappointing manner, lets face it to a 10 yr. old mouth-breather like myself, ether really doesn't "sound" flammable. So, I went back into the house and got a 1-pound can of pyrodex (black powder for muzzle loader rifles). At this point, I set the can of ether on the stump and opened up the can of black powder. My intentions were to sprinkle a little bit around the ether can but it all sorta dumped out. No biggie, 1 lb of pyrodex and 16oz of ether should make a loud pop, kinda like a firecracker you know? You know what? Screw that. I’m going back in the house for the other can.

Yes, I got a second can of pyrodex and dumped it too. Now we're cookin'. I stepped back about 15 ft and lit the 2-stroke arrow. I drew the nock to my cheek and took aim. As I released I heard a 'clunk' from behind me as the arrow launched from my bow... In slow motion, I turned to see my dad getting out of the truck... OH ****... he just got home from work. So help me God, it took 10 minutes for that arrow to go from my bow to the can. My dad was walking towards me in slow motion with a *** look in his eyes. I turned back towards my target just in time to see the arrow pierce the starting fluid can right through the main pile of pyrodex at the bottom.

When the shock wave hit it knocked me off my feet. I don't know if it was the actual compression wave that threw me back or just reflex jerk back from 235 decibels of sound. I caught a half a millisecond glimpse of the violence during the initial explosion and I will tell you there was stuff hovering 1 ft above the ground as far as I could see. It was like a little low-to-the-ground layer of dust fog full of grasshoppers, spiders, and a crawfish or two.

The daylight turned purple. Let me repeat this THE DAYLIGHT TURNED PURPLE. There was a big sweetgum tree out by the gate going into the pasture. Notice I said "was". That mother got up and ran off. So here I am, on the ground blown completely out of my shoes with my Thunder-cats T-shirt shredded, my dad is on the other side of the carport having what I can only assume is a Viet Nam flashback, 'ECHO BRAVO CHARLIE, YOUR BRINGIN' 'EM IN TOO CLOSE!! CEASE FIRE, DAMNIT CEASE FIRE!!!!!'

His hat has blown off and is 30 ft. behind him in the driveway. All windows on the north side of the house are blown out and there is a slow rolling mushroom cloud about 2000 ft over our backyard. There is a Honda 185s 3-wheeler parked on the other side of the yard and the fenders are drooped down and are now touching the tires.

I wish I knew what I said to my dad at this moment. But I just don't know- I know I said something. I couldn't hear. Heck...I couldn't hear inside my own head. I don't think he heard me either, not that it would really matter. I don't remember much from this point on. I said something, felt a sharp pain, and then woke up later. I felt a sharp pain, blacked out, woke later, repeat this process for an hour or so and you get the idea. I remember at one point my mom had to give me CPR so dad could beat me
some more. Bring him back to life so dad can kill him again. Thanks mom.

One thing is for sure, I never had to mow around that stump again. Mom had been bellyaching about that thing for years and dad never did anything about it. I stepped up to the plate and handled business. Dad sold his muzzloaders a week or so later, and I still have some sort of bone growth abnormality, either from the blast or the beating. Or both.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, get your kids into archery. It's good discipline and will teach them skills they can really use - like to get the butt kicking of a lifetime.
Old 05-06-2009, 05:28 PM
King Mackeral

Default Texas Monster

Check This Texas Monster out....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG00068.jpg (87.0 KB, 79 views)
Old 05-06-2009, 05:29 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,902

catdaddy..ive never tried the flaming arrow trcik yet.. may have to look into that..
Old 05-06-2009, 05:32 PM
King Mackeral

Thumbs up

U didnt get that idea from me HF.... lol..