SaltyCajun.com http://redtunashirtclub.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 03-18-2013, 01:20 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,488
Hairout Democrats are turkey hunters!!!

My youngest boy is now 13 and a freak for the turkey woods. The kid is getting darn good at calling, hunts all day with me and has the "bug" real bad. His uncle Max is also a turkey hunting freak and every year, Uncle Max puts in for the youth lottery hunt in hopes of bringing him out early for a youth hunt. Well this year it finally worked out where he was drawn and it was all set with some scouting last week for a perfect weekend.

They get set up an hour before daylight and have the decoys out on a small area that is greened up, and after a few tree gobbles they commence to yelp a few times. The bird answers immediately and the fun begins. After several minutes of "here I am, where are you", they hear a pitiful sounding yelp from a box call. To their surprise, a grown man smoking a cigarette walks right by them attempting to work a box call and passes within feet of their decoys, heading toward the area of the bird that was gobbling. He is carrying a shotgun, decoy bag, and a pop up blind besides wearing a turkey vest. They watch as he easily crosses a downed tree, the whole time yelping on his way to the bird.

After about 35 minutes a single shotgun blast is heard and few minutes later here comes Mr. Turkey hunter carrying a dead jake. AS they are gathering their decoys, the hunter stops by them to make small talk. Come to find out, this "man" says he was drawn for the handicapped hunt which is also the same time for youth lottery. Both my son and his uncle are better than me, that's for sure!

I just find that this man from Ville Platte is a giant POS and menace to the world if you are going to claim to be "handicap" yet can walk better than me carrying a load and smoke cigarettes. It's public land hunting and he did not break any law, but I feel he violated everything ethical hunters are trying to teach the youth of the outdoors. In the end, my son tells me "dad, I didn't know democrats turkey hunted" and I had a proud poppa moment knowing that at least I am trying!!!
Old 03-18-2013, 01:26 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,948

Man that's ridiculous. Sad what some people will do.
Old 03-18-2013, 01:42 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 826

Sounds like he big motored up and proceeded to cut your drift off.
Old 03-18-2013, 01:48 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,970

very sad story ... I woulda been hott!!! but I can say that I had a similar experience a few yrs ago in sherburne wma ... not youth lottery hunt but needless to say no one got the bird but I had words w a couple other hunters bc I cutt them off of a bird they "roosted"lol ....public land ... that's what it boils down to...and have to agree whoever this guy is that messed up ur hunt is a HUGE POS and shouldn't ever be allowed to hunt again
Old 03-18-2013, 02:10 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 975

Should've left him more legal than they found him..as in sho nuf handicap!!
Old 03-18-2013, 02:13 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA COVE View Post
Should've left him more legal than they found him..as in sho nuf handicap!!
My thoughts exactly!
Old 03-18-2013, 03:16 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,686

I am pretty sure I know the Max you are talking about and he is a turkey hunting freak. Sorry you son had a bad experience but if he keeps hunting turkey on public land won't be the last time.

There are some polite hunters but always some donkey to screw it up for you.
Makes each kill on public land that much more exciting.
Old 03-18-2013, 03:17 PM
Ling

Cash: 3,167

Opening day last year in a spot I have never seen a 'sole' had one gobbling and he is with hens just gobbling, strutting, and having a good time with the hens. He is going to come right to me, he knows right where I am and gobbling at me everytime. They are slowly making their way towards me and I am set up perfect for them on a ridge. I hear a crow call and he gobbles, then an owl hoot, another crow call, and he is gobbling at it all and the calling is getting closer. They tried every single call and that turkey finally shut up. I give a god awful yelp to sound nothing like a turkey to let them know I am there and they had to know it was not a turkey. I keep calling to get their attention and finally see them poke their head over the ridge and the turkeys do too, and that was it.

Everyone is turkey hunter on opening weekend and they will do whatever it takes to shoot a turkey and post a picture of it from shooting one off a limb, to shooting at one at 70 yards, to ruining someone else's hunt. The last weekend is usually the best anyways as the gobblers are out looking for the last of the hens to breed and lots less people.
Old 03-18-2013, 03:21 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,686

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Butter View Post
The last weekend is usually the best anyways as the gobblers are out looking for the last of the hens to breed and lots less people.

The last few weeks are always the best for finding birds willing to work. But can't kill them at the house so I hunt from start to finish.
Old 03-18-2013, 03:35 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,948

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Butter View Post
The last weekend is usually the best anyways as the gobblers are out looking for the last of the hens to breed and lots less people.
You ain't kiddin man. Had one of those goofy birds strutting 30 yards off one of the more well traveled roads on the WMA. He was pretty desperate.
Old 03-18-2013, 03:41 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,455

Yeh that's why I try and stay away from WMAs. Too many idiots in this world. No turkey worth a fist fight or getting shot over. Best to hunt weekdays.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:23 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,752

Its ashame how many guys that are collecting a DISABILITY check, but have NO PROBLEM walking miles in the woods, climbing a tree, or dragging Deer. And to top it off, most are out hunting, while us poor bastards are working...
Old 03-19-2013, 05:50 AM
Redfish

Cash: 758

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasper Master View Post
Its ashame how many guys that are collecting a DISABILITY check, but have NO PROBLEM walking miles in the woods, climbing a tree, or dragging Deer. And to top it off, most are out hunting, while us poor bastards are working...
My thoughts exactly.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:51 AM
King Mackeral

Quote:
That is the true origin of my anger!
Old 03-19-2013, 07:41 AM
Ling

Cash: 2,829

Sorry to hear that but that's the bad part about hunting public land, when I used to deer hunt on public land it would happen all the time.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:50 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

Quote:

My wife has an Uncle that you just described perfectly. He can walk 150 yards into the swamp and drag deer out but his back hurts to much to go to work. He's been begging my father in law to join their lease for years now. My father in law keeps denying him because he will be hunting their stands M-F when they not there. He killed 14 deer last year between a lease he got on in Amite, hunted a buddies place in MS and behind his house....... but yet, he can't work
Old 03-19-2013, 08:15 AM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp snorkler View Post
My wife has an Uncle that you just described perfectly. He can walk 150 yards into the swamp and drag deer out but his back hurts to much to go to work. He's been begging my father in law to join their lease for years now. My father in law keeps denying him because he will be hunting their stands M-F when they not there. He killed 14 deer last year between a lease he got on in Amite, hunted a buddies place in MS and behind his house....... but yet, he can't work
I knew a guy like that. I was working shift work and he would hunt/fish with me on weekdays when I was off. It soon became apparent that he was also getting disabled in the reaching for his wallet to help pay for gas and such. He is still milking the system for $3K a month and doing just what you described.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:33 AM
Tripletail

these ppl r a disgrace and give true outdoorsman a bad name.... seriously who kills 14 deer? for what? in one season that's F'n ridiculous
Old 03-19-2013, 12:22 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 10,192

Dang, so you can just walk up on a turkey carrying all your gear and kill him? They make it look alot harder than that on tv
Old 03-19-2013, 01:00 PM
Tripletail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Chuck Duck View Post
Dang, so you can just walk up on a turkey carrying all your gear and kill him? They make it look alot harder than that on tv
lmao I wish ... I'd have 20 toms under my belt if that was the case ... although i have come very close stalking turkeys but not in LA ... Kansas