SaltyCajun.com http://k2-coolers.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 08-11-2016, 08:42 PM
Flounder

Cash: 29
Default Water Hyacinth and Other Invasives

Just wanted to see how everyone else in the coastal zone is faring with lilies this year and get a little more info.

Past couple years my lease has become more "fresh" and we now have hyacinth to fight. Last year got behind and lost ponds/marsh to it. Think the high river didn't help matters. This year I have been more proactive, treating with herbicides. Seems that they aren't as thick in general fortunately. Do most of you guys in tidal areas boom off your ditches? How often do yall spray? Any preferred chemicals or prevention methods, etc, what month/conditions are worst? Getting close to go time and want to have plenty of habitat for the fowl! Thanks for any advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-12-2016, 06:41 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,063

Water hiacinth is some crap!! But we use Diquat if we spray from the boat. If I spray from the plane I use generic roundup. 1 gallon to the acre. Works great and not to expensive. Spray no more than2 times a year. Any more than that then you start having other plant invasive species such as salvania and pickerel weed start to magnify. This is just what we have learned and do in our marsh. It changes from time to time but I know everyone is going to have their different solutions.

Biggest thing is to stay on top of it year after year. If you miss a year it may not hurt. But anymore than two years and it's harder to get back. Best time to spray is in late July. You can kill it and shouldn't have any serious growth for the rest of the year because he growing season ends in September.
Old 08-12-2016, 09:36 AM
Flounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by meat killer 86 View Post
Water hiacinth is some crap!! But we use Diquat if we spray from the boat. If I spray from the plane I use generic roundup. 1 gallon to the acre. Works great and not to expensive. Spray no more than2 times a year. Any more than that then you start having other plant invasive species such as salvania and pickerel weed start to magnify. This is just what we have learned and do in our marsh. It changes from time to time but I know everyone is going to have their different solutions.

Biggest thing is to stay on top of it year after year. If you miss a year it may not hurt. But anymore than two years and it's harder to get back. Best time to spray is in late July. You can kill it and shouldn't have any serious growth for the rest of the year because he growing season ends in September.

Thanks for the info, we seem to already have the pickerel weed, sprayed that as well obviously. I've been using 2-4-d, any reason you don't use this product instead of the roundup or diquat? Do you have ditches and canals into ponds boomed off? Was thinking I need to put in 4x4's, rope/boom to prevent new stuff from coming in with tides. I assume yall are tidal too? It seems I have it made with round shaped/non broken ponds, but some of the ponds that are mostly broken marsh, with scattered islands and acres big it can be overwhelming spraying such a large area.
Old 08-12-2016, 12:27 PM
Trophy Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmk07c View Post
Thanks for the info, we seem to already have the pickerel weed, sprayed that as well obviously. I've been using 2-4-d, any reason you don't usethis product instead of the roundup or diquat? Do you have ditches and canals into ponds boomed off? Was thinking I need to put in 4x4's, rope/boom to prevent new stuff from coming in with tides. I assume yall are tidal too? It seems I have it made with round shaped/non broken ponds, but some of the ponds that are mostly broken marsh, with scattered islands and acres big it can be overwhelming spraying such a large area.
We are not tidal. We are an impoundment but we have it all. This year I didn't use 2-4D because I made some phone calls to Rockefeller and talked to "The Man" and he said by using straight roundup is better. If you mix the 2 then you get to a point where one fight the other and only one chemical kills the plant. Then you have waisted money on chemical that didn't do anything. Make sense?
So we went extra heavy and it did a jam up job. Smoked everything. No complaints.

I'm not sure exactly how your stuff is but all you can do is spray and nick it back. Sounds like the tidal waters move your grass around a lot. Just kill what you can and keep at it.
Old 08-12-2016, 02:45 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 568

Salvania is what we are fighting and we are losing the battle. So thick in some places a shallow drive struggles to get through it. Even the alligators have left the heavily infested ponds and boat trails.
Old 08-12-2016, 02:59 PM
Trophy Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by malliegator View Post
Salvania is what we are fighting and we are losing the battle. So thick in some places a shallow drive struggles to get through it. Even the alligators have left the heavily infested ponds and boat trails.
Get a good gas sprayer with an agitator on it and spray pelletized karmex. Will kill everything in its path. It's deadly to all plants.
Old 08-12-2016, 04:48 PM
Flounder

Default Water Hyacinth and Other Invasives

Man that salvania is terrible, glad I don't have to deal with that. Not sure it would tolerate our salinity levels? Those of yall tidal with issues are you closing off access points to keep new stuff from drifting in?

We're I'm at levee blew from the river and corps isn't repairing as it's not impeding navigation. So what was a normal brackish marsh is now fed by a pass 100' wide and who knows how deep. Really changed things up, I'm glad, but the invasive aquatics from the Mississippi is one of the negative side affects. Keep in mind this pass is maybe a mile as the crow flies from my nearest lease.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Cmk07c; 08-12-2016 at 05:17 PM.
Old 08-13-2016, 10:09 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 678

Quote:
Originally Posted by malliegator View Post

Same here, but we are seeing a lot of dead spots and some spots are clearing up.. Weevils were placed just north of us and they are working in certain areas. With all this rain I'm not sure what will happen now

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 08-13-2016, 11:30 AM
Flounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGcoreg View Post
Same here, but we are seeing a lot of dead spots and some spots are clearing up.. Weevils were placed just north of us and they are working in certain areas. With all this rain I'm not sure what will happen now

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BG did yall look at adding or getting any for your area? To kind of supplement the ones working their way in?

Anyone know if they have a similar creature for hyacinth and other invasive plants we in south deal with? From what I understand there is giant salvania and just regular, the weevil we currently have only eats one type of salvania. This is why there isn't eradication. Places like maurerpas swamp can't get a grip on their problem because it's a split invasion of reg and giant salvania.
Old 08-13-2016, 11:39 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 678

Quote:
BG did yall look at adding or getting any for your area? To kind of supplement the ones working their way in?

Anyone know if they have a similar creature for hyacinth and other invasive plants we in south deal with? From what I understand there is giant salvania and just regular, the weevil we currently have only eats one type of salvania. This is why there isn't eradication. Places like maurerpas swamp can't get a grip on their problem because it's a split invasion of reg and giant salvania.

I've called so many people and got some help just not a whole lot.. LSU Ag , Texas a&m, caddo lake restoration folks, and I was told they wouldn't give weevils to the general public. They were going to state and fed lands first. LSU Ag gave me coordinates to where they released some and they said you can scoop up a bunch in 5 gallon buckets hoping you caught some and then bring it to your site. But that site was too far from us to travel and get lucky to scoop some up ..

Thankfully Miami Corp decided to get on board and there property borders ours and so we had a good chance of the weevils moving onto our property. We did assist them in spreading a little faster as in scooping up salvinia with weevils and moving it to directly in front of our duck blinds

And hopefully we only have 1 type of salvinia. I've never thought about it like that
Old 08-13-2016, 03:53 PM
Flounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by meat killer 86 View Post
We are not tidal. We are an impoundment but we have it all. This year I didn't use 2-4D because I made some phone calls to Rockefeller and talked to "The Man" and he said by using straight roundup is better. If you mix the 2 then you get to a point where one fight the other and only one chemical kills the plant. Then you have waisted money on chemical that didn't do anything. Make sense?

So we went extra heavy and it did a jam up job. Smoked everything. No complaints.

I'm not sure exactly how your stuff is but all you can do is spray and nick it back. Sounds like the tidal waters move your grass around a lot. Just kill what you can and keep at it.

Meat, looking at glosphyte (round up) online I see rodeo is the popular aquatic one. Yall using that or regular old round up? I'm assuming mixed maybe 2-4 oz per gallon of mix?
Old 08-14-2016, 11:00 AM
Ling

Cash: 3,167

Quote:

It has now been determined that the weevils are the same species for both common and giant salvinia. success is highly variable but there have been some real success stories. We had some put out in a lake with common salvinia. The biologist brought some giant salvinia that had weevils in it. We wouldn't accept that because didn't want to introduce giant salvinia. Later got some weevils with the common salvinia and placed those out. This was a year with a very hard freeze and it knocked the salvinia way way back (likely killed the weevils as well). The following summer it was like nothing has happened as it was everywhere. Have had the same luck with spraying it. Can knock it way back but if you do not get very but if it (which is almost impossible if you have a lot of vegetation on the banks or if you don't have a way to block it from coming in from adjacent areas) it comes right back.

As far as hyacinth biological control there is another weevil they have used in Florida with some success but haven't heard much about it in Louisiana. It seems like all the weevils are very host specific and will not feed on much else but you have to be real careful with introducing another non native to combat a non native also. McIlhenny brought in the nutria to control alligator weed and water hyacinth way back when. They escaped and now look at them.
Old 08-15-2016, 04:43 AM
Trophy Trout

Quote:
Meat, looking at glosphyte (round up) online I see rodeo is the popular aquatic one. Yall using that or regular old round up? I'm assuming mixed maybe 2-4 oz per gallon of mix?
No we use just generic. The rodeo is supposed to be better for aquatic plants but in all the yrs I have been spraying we can't tell the difference. The rodeo is way more expensive so we just use generic. We don't have issues with killing the plants. They all die!!!