SaltyCajun.com http://www.acadianamarina.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Boating Talk

Boating Talk For discussion of everything related to boats and motors

Old 03-04-2019, 10:02 AM
Ling

Cash: 3,542
Headknocker Boat a boat on impulse.... NEED HELP!

I may have screwed up and need some advice! I bought a Hydra Sport Fish and Ski on impulse yesterday from my wife's cousin. (Stupid move, I know) He divested his interest in the family camp a few months back and lives in Austin, so he no longer has a need for the boat. Jokingly, I threw a low offer out there and he accepted it. Now we have another boat, the wife and kids are excited, life is..... good?

Now the problem: He is the second owner of the boat. When he purchased the boat from the original owner in 2011, they signed a bill of sale on the boat and motor, and the original owner signed over the title to the trailer. HOWEVER, nothing was ever notarized and her cousin never registered any of it in his name. I have all the paperwork and no clue what to do. Is there anyway to get everything registered under my name, or did i just royally screw up?
Old 03-04-2019, 03:59 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,563

These are the times when it's nice to have a buddy or family member who is a notary.

Your cousin will need to get the registration done for him first. Then you can do another transfer to you.
Old 03-04-2019, 05:26 PM
Ling

Cash: 3,542

Quote:
Originally Posted by redaddiction View Post
These are the times when it's nice to have a buddy or family member who is a notary.

Your cousin will need to get the registration done for him first. Then you can do another transfer to you.
I called LDWF and sounds like without a notarized bill of sale from the original owner, I now have a new lawn ornament. I have the guys name so I'll try and track him down and hopefully he's nice enough to help me out.

I do know a few notaries, but I wouldn't feel comfortable asking them to notarize a title that was signed 8 years ago.
Old 03-04-2019, 05:31 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,364

and an artist.
Old 03-04-2019, 06:25 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt G View Post
I called LDWF and sounds like without a notarized bill of sale from the original owner, I now have a new lawn ornament. I have the guys name so I'll try and track him down and hopefully he's nice enough to help me out.

I do know a few notaries, but I wouldn't feel comfortable asking them to notarize a title that was signed 8 years ago.

Suggestion..... why not go to a notary and see what they will do? Just ask if this is all the information they need to transfer the ownership to you. You would not be asking them to do something "wrong" and you might find that they can help you.

It never hurts to ask.
Old 03-04-2019, 06:44 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,563

Quote:
Originally Posted by smooth move View Post
and an artist.
Done need a current date. WLF won't care about the date. As long as the buyer on the bill of sale is the one applying for boat registration. He will be charged a penalty but it's not really that much.