SaltyCajun.com http://www.angler-products.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 12-17-2013, 08:37 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,948

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshRat89 View Post
Smalls you back!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
The one and only.....took a break, chilled out alittle, and I'm back to raise he'll.

I think opening the season later wouldn't show much difference. We do get more of a push, but its ststill more to do with the landscape changes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I847 using Tapatalk 2
Old 12-17-2013, 08:48 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,393

Quote:
Originally Posted by herohunts View Post
whit that being said, too keep me from looking all over the web. whats you reasoning on a split in the hunting season ?
1: Give the birds a break
2: Give time for more birds to push in. (Since the Feds only allow a 60 day season.)
3: Give your self a break
4: To please the wives
5: shoot blues and snows no hold bar

Old 12-17-2013, 08:49 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,393

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smalls View Post
The one and only.....took a break, chilled out alittle, and I'm back to raise he'll.

I think opening the season later wouldn't show much difference. We do get more of a push, but its ststill more to do with the landscape changes.

Just been lurking huh

Old 12-19-2013, 12:22 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 866

So how can we fix this problem? what can we do to keep the future migrations to keep coming south?
Old 12-19-2013, 12:41 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgoods17 View Post
So how can we fix this problem? what can we do to keep the future migrations to keep coming south?
That's a difficult task, and probably impossible. You would have to manage the landscape over an entire flyway, something that will most likely never happen.

You may be thinking "Why Not?"

Well, because there are many factors that would go into that. If you start with what is actually there, the land practices, that MIGHT be manageable. But when you consider how much work that would require to manage millions of acres of land with millions of landowners......that's not going to happen.

The other big factor you have to look at is Climate. You aren't going to control the climate, simple as that.

Temperatures, ice/snow cover, and availablility of food drive are the majority of the driving factors in the overall migration. Availability of food and cover will drive where the birds are locally.

I've seen rice fields north of I-10 loaded with wood ducks, mallards, and pintails because there was timber near by that they could duck into during the day. Not to mention that only about a 1/10th of an acre had been cleared to make a pond. The rest was still 2 or 3 foot tall. Good cover and feeding opportunities.

The birds are going to go where they feel safe and have food when they get down here, because they've been shot at all the way down. BUT THEY HAVE TO GET HERE FIRST! If the weather isn't forcing them down, you won't see them.

And as far as moving seasons around, they will always base that on harvest numbers, and until there is a drastic, long term swing in the numbers (later migration, lower harvest), that will probably not change. There was the opportunity this year, but more people voted to leave it as is if I'm not mistaken.
Old 12-19-2013, 03:18 PM
Ling

Cash: 3,167

We kill more ducks in Louisiana than any other state and TWICE as many as Arkansas (over 1 MILLION more ducks than they do).Edited to add: We kill 1 MILLION more ducks than the next highest state. Kinda hard to tell the states up north that there is a 'problem' and something needs to be done when you look at the numbers Still plenty of ducks coming down.

Again, there are all kinds of things that factor into migration of birds. Black-bellied and fulvous whistling ducks were a rarity not that long ago. Many many other bird species that we see in Louisiana now regularly were once pretty rare here (roseate spoonbills for instance).

and 10 pages for sure

Last edited by Duck Butter; 12-19-2013 at 03:44 PM.
Old 12-19-2013, 03:20 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 9,130

Solution = figure 8s in bodies with helicopters!!!!
Old 12-19-2013, 03:24 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Butter View Post
We kill more ducks in Louisiana than any other state and TWICE as many as Arkansas (over 1 MILLION more ducks than they do). Kinda hard to tell the states up north that there is a 'problem' and something needs to be done when you look at the numbers Still plenty of ducks coming down.

Again, there are all kinds of things that factor into migration of birds. Black-bellied and fulvous whistling ducks were a rarity not that long ago. Many many other bird species that we see in Louisiana now regularly were once pretty rare here (roseate spoonbills for instance).

and 10 pages for sure
Don't forget whooping cranes.....

Old 12-19-2013, 03:24 PM
Ling

Quote:
Don't forget whooping cranes.....

tree hugger
Old 12-19-2013, 03:46 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
tree hugger

Now look here friend, I'm not much into that whole tree huggin thing. Get too many splinters doin that.....lmao

On a serious note though......YOU'RE ONE TO TALK!!! lmao!! I flipped teams.....the bad guys offered more money......lol.....
Old 12-19-2013, 04:01 PM
Ling

Quote:
Now look here friend, I'm not much into that whole tree huggin thing. Get too many splinters doin that.....lmao

On a serious note though......YOU'RE ONE TO TALK!!! lmao!! I flipped teams.....the bad guys offered more money......lol.....
How can you sleep at night man?

Old 12-19-2013, 04:08 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
How can you sleep at night man?

"I use a wonderful over the counter drug, Ultrasom. Don't take the whole thing, just half, and you will wake up without even that tiniest hangover."

lmao

Hey, I still do good for the environment. I'm just paid better and sometimes I have to be a co-conspirator to the bad.....lol

Plus, it gives me more freedom to argue on here.......lmao......