SaltyCajun.com http://www.braggingbadges.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 05-14-2014, 08:36 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 7,965
Default Bay Freeze/fish kill study

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publicat...202_MDS118.pdf

very interesting read...I'm sure these freezes happened in LA too at the same times

I know its TX, but it applies everywhere IMO. Just a thought on this information....the trout limit was 20/day and 12 inches in 1983, they changed it 10/day and 14 inches to compensate for the freeze kill-off which I totally agree with, then they upped the size limit to 15 inches after the 1989 freeze. The problem I have is that our current bag limits have been shaped by what should have been temporary rebounding efforts to freezes. There has never been any liberalization of those limits once the rebounds were accomplished, and those temporary measures are now permanent. This applies to the current limit reductions on trout on the middle and lower TX coast as well as the extended 2 flounder/day measures that were currently adopted. History tells us that once the limits go down, no amount of species rebound will put them back where they were. Just something to consider when CCA sends us another e-mail telling us to support the next round of limit reductions.
Old 05-15-2014, 01:20 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,020

You make a good point. And I don't side with it either way...

While we haven't had more natural killers.. the amount of users have gone way up since those times and in some areas the populations never rebounded whether it was naturally caused or because of increased fishing pressure. In other places, yes, they rebounded, then we'd go through a long drought, which caused a drop. It's been back and forth. So I guess they just left it.