SaltyCajun.com http://www.braggingbadges.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 04-30-2014, 10:19 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speckmeister View Post
In my six decades on this Earth, I have had differences with God, my wife, my children, my parents, my Church, my government, my friends, and many of my politicians. I did not let those deter me from joining them and resolving problems together.
I firmly believe in resolving problems together.

But when a group manipulates that into meaning giving them money first as a prerequisite to working together, has a track record of not listening once the check is written, and has a track record of bringing bags of $$$$$$ back to Texas to support restoration projects there, I begin to think the group should show some better evidence of being willing to "work together" in ways more meaningful than using contributions to lobby in favor of bad policies.

In the present case "working together" needs to mean CCA proving a commitment to scientific fisheries management before we give them any more money.

Giving them more money now will only reinforce their bad behavior and subvert any hopes we may have of working together.
Old 04-30-2014, 10:32 AM
Ling

Cash: 3,167

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Butter View Post
Link to 2000 USGS study please
pretty please MG, can I have a link to this study?
Old 04-30-2014, 10:38 AM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathGeek View Post
Black drum were sampled in 2011, 2012, and 2013, but numbers were only sufficient for length class analysis in 2013.

In 2011, the mean condition factor for black drum in Calcasieu Lake was 0.934 +/- 0.017. This means that the black drum only had enough forage to maintain 93.4% of the weight as the long term Louisiana average for a given length, season, and species. For comparison, the condition factor determined by the USGS in 2000 (before the oyster reefs were destroyed) was 1.03 +/- 0.02. In 2012, the mean condition factor for black drum dropped markedly to 0.842 +/- 0.012. In 2013, the mean condition factor of all lengths was 0.889 +/- 0.012.

The length class analysis shown in the graph shows that the longest length classes are struggling to find enough food to maintain body condition. These are the fish most heavily dependent on oyster reefs, suggesting that oyster reef destruction (by dredging) is a significant factor in the observed declines in fish condition.
I need the link please, I have seen in the past where you were measuring fish at boat ramps and not specifying male or female or taking into account seasonality (just measuring length and weight). Most USGS studies I have seen take into account all of this and include age as well (by otoliths). Without specifying males vs females, time of year, and age, I don't think your comparisons can be valid, may be a little misleading is all
Old 04-30-2014, 10:46 AM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

I spoke with David C (head of CCA)over an hour yesterday on the phone.

I told him my views, rants, problems and what is not getting done!

Hopefully they make some moves but we shall see
Old 04-30-2014, 11:11 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 866

Quote:
Originally Posted by "W" View Post
I spoke with David C (head of CCA)over an hour yesterday on the phone.

I told him my views, rants, problems and what is not getting done!

Hopefully they make some moves but we shall see

well what was his response to your comments?

And why doesn't everybody who is against what the CCA is doing and has done and go to the banquet tomorrow night and start asking everybody there questions and make it a point to notify everybody else the concerns about the lake.?? wouldnt that be better than complaining for months about it on the internet?
Old 04-30-2014, 11:20 AM
Redfish

Cash: 429
Default Biggun

I thought your were not responding anymore

Now, I cannot speak for anyone else, and I am a CCA hater, but let me tell you what I and my friends did. We spent over $275,000.00 of personal money in the last two years doing things which CCA's refuses to do----protect recreational sportsmens rights. In the last three years, I have personally spent over 38 days in Washington D.C., 123 days in Baton Rouge, 29 days in Florida, 13 in Texas. My friends, have done the same. And not one time did I or anyone else ever ask you to give us a penny, nor did we make public our actions, unlike your little posses' love of fanfare.

So while you were in your little reival in New Orleans, I was at a Washington D.C. adminstrative hearing trying to save the red snapper season, a hearing that CCA was invited to and failed to appear. A hearing where a federal judge call your group's omissions "suspect" and "contrary". Then you got on this site and denied that happen, until two days later when your group posted exactly what I said on its very own website.

I have been able to meet with State Senators and Reps, as well as U.S. Congressmen. All these officals respect our little group and will return phone calls to us, unless we mention the "C"apitol "C"lowns "A"ssociation (their name, not mind).

We have hired our own lobby group and have paid them over $67,000 over the last 12 months, again from our own money to support the rights CCA refuses to defend.

Not one of us ever received a salary, nor have we asked for one, nor will we every ask for one.

When CCA was in bed with the Louisiana Landowners Association and refused to involve itself with the public vs private waterways, despite its very own mission statement, our group donated over 33,000 acres of personal land across the country so the public could have a place to recreate.

We did all this behind the scenes and without any fanfare. Even received a threat from you, which again fell on deaf ears.

But we are tired of always getting negative reactions and setbacks because of your group, and that is why will be have our own tournament (2015), called the Galaxy (because Galaxies eats Stars).

More details will soon follow, but here is a general overview: It will be free to fish; It will be 202 days; It will have over 2.5M in prizes, including one tagged fish worth 1M; there will be weekly giveways to all contestants with each week's prize being worth approx. $175-$250.00.

The one and only stipulation of the Galaxy will be that you cannot be a registered member of CCA/STAR. Furthermore, if you registered with Galaxy and catch a STAR tagged fish, you win $50,000.00.

CCA tags 50 fish, we will tag 100. A tagged fish will be worth $25,000.00, not the first one caught, but all of them. If you catch any tagged fish with a child (<15) in your group, you get an extra $5,000.00; if you catch a tagged fish with a wounded veteran in your group, you get an extra $2,500.00 extra and the veteran gets $2,500.00; any tagged redfish harvested with a bow will awarded an extra $10,000 over any above its tag value.

Is this real--very!

Will this hurt CCA--Yes!

Is our goal to destroy CCA-Yes

Why--We spend a whole bunch of money to support recreational fishermen to only be setback by the likes of CCA-Louisiana.

What Next--Form a legitmate group of concern individuals, throughout the gulf coast who actually support the rights of ALL recreational fishermen, not a choosen few.

get your facts straight before you accuse others of not doing anything.

Last edited by jchief; 04-30-2014 at 11:39 AM.
Old 04-30-2014, 11:31 AM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3FLa View Post

Now, I cannot speak for anyone else, and I am a CCA hater, but let me tell you what I and my friends did. We spent over $275,000.00 of personal money in the last two years doing things which CCA's refuses to do----protect recreational sportsmens rights. In the last three years, I have personally spent over 38 days in Washington D.C., 123 days in Baton Rouge, 29 days in Florida, 13 in Texas. My friends, have done the same. And not one time did I or anyone else ever ask you to give us a penny, nor did we make public our actions, unlike your little posses' love of fanfare.

So while you were in your little reival in New Orleans, I was at a Washington D.C. adminstrative hearing trying to save the red snapper season, a hearing that CCA was invited to and failed to appear. A hearing where a federal judge call your group's omissions "suspect" and "contrary". Then you got on this site and denied that happen, until two days later when your group posted exactly what I said on its very own website.

I have been able to meet with State Senators and Reps, as well as U.S. Congressmen. All these officals respect our little group and will return phone calls to us, unless we mention the "C"apitol "C"lowns "A"ssociation (their name, not mind).

We have hired our own lobby group and have paid them over $67,000 over the last 12 months, again from our own money to support the rights CCA refuses to defend.

Not one of us ever received a salary, nor have we asked for one, nor will we every ask for one.

When CCA was in bed with the Louisiana Landowners Association and refused to involve itself with the public vs private waterways, despite its very own mission statement, our group donated over 33,000 acres of personal land across the country so the public could have a place to recreate.

We did all this behind the scenes and without any fanfare. Even received a threat from you, which again fell on deaf ears.

But we are tired of always getting negative reactions and setbacks because of your group, and that is why will be have our own tournament (2015), called the Galaxy (because Galaxies eats Stars).

More details will soon follow, but here is a general overview: It will be free to fish; It will be 202 days; It will have over 2.5M in prizes, including one tagged fish worth 1M; there will be weekly giveways to all contestants with each week's prize being worth approx. $175-$250.00.

The one and only stipulation of the Galaxy will be that you cannot be a registered member of CCA/STAR. Furthermore, if you registered with Galaxy and catch a STAR tagged fish, you win $50,000.00.

CCA tags 50 fish, we will tag 100. A tagged fish will be worth $25,000.00, not the first one caught, but all of them. If you catch any tagged fish with a child (<15) in your group, you get an extra $5,000.00; if you catch a tagged fish with a wounded veteran in your group, you get an extra $2,500.00 extra and the veteran gets $2,500.00; any tagged redfish harvested with a bow will awarded an extra $10,000 over any above its tag value.

Is this real--very!

Will this hurt CCA--Yes!

Why--We spend a whole bunch of money to support recreational fishermen to only be setback by the likes of CCA-Louisiana.

What Next--Form a legitmate group of concern individuals, throughout the gulf coast who actually support the rights of ALL recreational fishermen, not a choosen few.

Can guides fish?? And where can we sign up
Old 04-30-2014, 11:39 AM
Ling

Quote:

Is this real--very!

Will this hurt CCA--Yes!

but get your facts straight before you accuse others of not doing anything.

The private vs public waterways dispute? fo real? We have millions of acres in Louisiana to fish, no need fishing on top of someone elses' private property. Yes, its private property. That was once land that is now water but the bottom is still owned by the original landowner. Navigable water does not = you have a right to fish/hunt there. This has already been decided by a judge. Its illegal, the landowner has every right to keep people off his property (yes you can own water in Louisiana) Do you really think you have a right to go and fish in someone's backyard if their home floods? Its navigable. Do you think that when the MS River floods you should be able to go and duck hunt in the flooded timber on someone else's property?

this may need a thread on its own, even though its been beat to death

Keep up the good fight with the other issues though, this one shouldn't be on the list though
Old 04-30-2014, 12:06 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,962

3 Fla..

In every post I've asked a SIMPLE QUESTION???WHAT LITTLE GROUP DO U REPRESENT??? 275 K of PERSONAL Money?????

All U do is Hate on CCA.. Which Is fine.. That's is your right... Where are the Facts to BACK UP WHAT U SAY??? NO WHERE ON THIS SITE..

I'm saying Call for and organize a meeting with the Lake Chuck area elected officials.. Channel officials, Weir officials. CCA Officials, and Concerned SC Members as well as Guides..

Discuss the Concerns.. Work Together to DEVELOP Solution's...
Old 04-30-2014, 12:08 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgoods17 View Post

And why doesn't everybody who is against what the CCA is doing and has done and go to the banquet tomorrow night and start asking everybody there questions and make it a point to notify everybody else the concerns about the lake.?? wouldnt that be better than complaining for months about it on the internet?
Why pay $60 a head to be ignored?

CCA has proven in the past to be insensitive to our concerns, to use member's money to lobby for more restrictive regulations, lobby for increased license fees, and fund expensive restoration projects in Texas.

Your logic is like passing a bill to see what's in it. CCA should prove their commitment to data driven conservation and proportional use of funds for projects in Louisiana before we give them more money.
Old 04-30-2014, 12:12 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,347

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggun View Post
3 Fla..

In every post I've asked a SIMPLE QUESTION???WHAT LITTLE GROUP DO U REPRESENT??? 275 K of PERSONAL Money?????

All U do is Hate on CCA.. Which Is fine.. That's is your right... Where are the Facts to BACK UP WHAT U SAY??? NO WHERE ON THIS SITE..

I'm saying Call for and organize a meeting with the Lake Chuck area elected officials.. Channel officials, Weir officials. CCA Officials, and Concerned SC Members as well as Guides..

Discuss the Concerns.. Work Together to DEVELOP Solution's...
work together? theyre currently working together to take more money out of my pocket.
Old 04-30-2014, 12:19 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,357

Quote:

Is this real--very!

Will this hurt CCA--Yes!

With any luck, this is real.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Old 04-30-2014, 12:21 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,357

Quote:

CCA has proven in the past to be insensitive to our concerns, to use member's money to lobby for more restrictive regulations, lobby for increased license fees, and fund expensive restoration projects in Texas.

Your logic is like passing a bill to see what's in it. CCA should prove their commitment to data driven conservation and proportional use of funds for projects in Louisiana before we give them more money.
Couldn't agree more!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Old 04-30-2014, 12:27 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 460

Quote:

Is this real--very!

Will this hurt CCA--Yes!

BOOM!!
Old 04-30-2014, 12:36 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: -747,400

I'll join today 3FLA

Oh and I'm still waitin on my sticker
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (25.6 KB, 131 views)
Old 04-30-2014, 12:46 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgoods17 View Post

Yes we ***** on here but don't think for one minute I don't voice my concerns to WL&F and CCA
I have many emails, letters and calls to everyone over the last 5 years

I will keep me and Davids conversation private but he knows what we want and we want actions two years ago fast!!

He also knows the value of us who are out here year around vs ones who are not.

I don't need to pay $60 to go to a banquet full of people who are there for one reason only Free Beer (only reason I ever went)

Now if they would let me speak I would be there in a heart beat but they don't want the public to know the real issues on hand
Old 04-30-2014, 12:58 PM
Flounder

Cash: 613

"W"....I don't drink at these anymore.
But when I was your age, I must admit that I certainly did.
But I also made some good deals on fishing tackle etc., and I was also there to sit with friends.
Now in the old days there were speakers who were scientists, guides etc.
Old 04-30-2014, 01:05 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speckmeister View Post
"W"....I don't drink at these anymore.
But when I was your age, I must admit that I certainly did.
But I also made some good deals on fishing tackle etc., and I was also there to sit with friends.
Now in the old days there were speakers who were scientists, guides etc.
Those who want to sit with friends and trade gear should come to the Salty Cajun Tournament on 19 July at Calcasieu Point. Lots of good times, and the money is going to a great cause.
Old 04-30-2014, 01:08 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:

Is this real--very!

Will this hurt CCA--Yes!

Very interesting. Please keep is informed with regular announcements at Salty Cajun.
Old 04-30-2014, 01:22 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 866

Quote:

you think if you make a big enough stink you will still get ignored?