SaltyCajun.com http://k2-coolers.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 02-22-2017, 08:59 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,486
Default DIY Canada duck hunting fall '17

Anybody ever made the trip?
In the process of planning a do it yourself trip to Saskatchewan for this coming October and could use any pointers.
Old 02-22-2017, 12:10 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 866

my pointer would be to go with an outfitter...

im sure you will be putting in some serious hours and miles of drive time just to find a decent feed to hunt. then when you find the birds you may have to beat the next guy to that spot in the morning.

but Canada may be different from North Dakota..
Old 02-22-2017, 01:23 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 460

Been the last 2 years going again this year. I go with an outfitter though. Like stated above. You better have ample time to drive/scout/watch fields. Several dozen fullbody goose decoys trailer and landowner map. By the time you add up the expenses u may be better suited with an outfitter. I enjoy the hell out of it every year and i cant wait til october to do it again. Last year 6 of us finished with 392 birds in 3 days.
Old 02-22-2017, 04:29 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,152

Can anyone recommend an outfitter for timber hunts in Arkansas?
Old 02-22-2017, 09:01 PM
Tripletail

Really appreciate any advice on making the trip and doing the work yourself if there's anybody who's done that and can advise. Thanks very much.
Old 02-23-2017, 03:38 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 834

When we went in 2010, while we hunted in the morning the outfitter had two spotters driving around looking for afternoon birds and getting permission from landowner to hunt that afternoon. While we hunted in the afternoon the outfitter has the same two guys driving around scouting for the next morning. One day the outfitter went and parked his truck in the field we were going to hunt that afternoon so no one would come in and set up where he had permission to hunt. That's the work that is done to insure successful hunts. If you don't plan on making afternoon hunts, then its possible. Trying to hunt both am and pm, there is just not enough time to scout and set up and hunt.
Old 02-23-2017, 04:46 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,571

Timber hunt, buckshot lodge.

Nice accommodations and great hunting. They are on the web
Old 02-23-2017, 07:54 PM
Flounder

Cash: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulox86 View Post
When we went in 2010, while we hunted in the morning the outfitter had two spotters driving around looking for afternoon birds and getting permission from landowner to hunt that afternoon. While we hunted in the afternoon the outfitter has the same two guys driving around scouting for the next morning. One day the outfitter went and parked his truck in the field we were going to hunt that afternoon so no one would come in and set up where he had permission to hunt. That's the work that is done to insure successful hunts. If you don't plan on making afternoon hunts, then its possible. Trying to hunt both am and pm, there is just not enough time to scout and set up and hunt.
X2, the amount of scouting that went into our hunts was unreal. I went back in 2012. Literally there was someone scouting at all times. With billions of amazing habitat and feed you really have to follow the flocks. Nothing like here where you got a good hole and you're set. Those birds are constantly bouncing around from field to field. Doing it yourself would be fun, but your sucess may suffer.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 02-24-2017, 08:15 AM
Site Owner/Admin

Cash: 22,194

If anyone is going in Canada for a trip this year and looking for someone to share cost I am not coaching football this fall and would be interested. I would like to go with an outfitter.
Old 02-24-2017, 08:51 AM
Tripletail

Thanks guys. I've been told the same, scouting is key, so pm hunts aren't in my plan this time as we will be looking for our next feed.
I've been told they roost on water bodies up there, and following them off their roost or mid day loafin areas on water can lead you to feeding areas. I know it's pretty open up there, but following flying birds sounds kind of crazy/impossible. Anybody know about that?
Old 02-24-2017, 01:20 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 460

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahlangle View Post
Thanks guys. I've been told the same, scouting is key, so pm hunts aren't in my plan this time as we will be looking for our next feed.
I've been told they roost on water bodies up there, and following them off their roost or mid day loafin areas on water can lead you to feeding areas. I know it's pretty open up there, but following flying birds sounds kind of crazy/impossible. Anybody know about that?
Also we hunt geese in the mornings and finish out on ducks in the evening. Reason for ducks in the afternoon is because u cant shoot dark geese in the evenings there just something else to think about.