SaltyCajun.com https://www.facebook.com/CajunTackle

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > Quitters and Losers Forum

Quitters and Losers Forum Come here to discuss self-improvement challenges, such as losing weight or quitting tobacco, alcohol, drugs, etc. NO BASHING and NO OFF-TOPIC POSTING in this forum! Lead, follow, or get outta the way!

Old 08-07-2013, 10:41 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,424
Default Suicide by a Slow Bullet to the Chest

I just lost a friend to suicide and it made me think.
I also lost my mom and a younger sister to smoking induced lung cancer which is just like suicide only much slower. If you knew that you were going to commit suicide you would probably take the quicker and less painless route. I don’t smoke so I can’t speak from personal experience other than seeing my mother and sister suffer through a terrible disease and death. I know it’s not easy, my mom quit a couple of times but started back each time. She went through Chemo and radiation and had the demon in remission for a year or so but it came back as it often does. So if you smoke, please for your family’s sake, stop that bullet in mid-flight right now. My prayers are with you.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:53 AM
Ling

Cash: 3,542

Sorry for you loss man. Smoking is something I've never understood. I see people smoke around their children and I wonder if they realize they are slowly killing their own child!
Old 08-07-2013, 11:04 AM
Great White

Cash: 2,534

Prayers to ya man, let us know if you need anything ?
Old 08-07-2013, 11:04 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,449

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottogo49 View Post
I just lost a friend to suicide and it made me think.
I also lost my mom and a younger sister to smoking induced lung cancer which is just like suicide only much slower. If you knew that you were going to commit suicide you would probably take the quicker and less painless route. I don’t smoke so I can’t speak from personal experience other than seeing my mother and sister suffer through a terrible disease and death. I know it’s not easy, my mom quit a couple of times but started back each time. She went through Chemo and radiation and had the demon in remission for a year or so but it came back as it often does. So if you smoke, please for your family’s sake, stop that bullet in mid-flight right now. My prayers are with you.
You are so right! Im in the quitting process now. Thanks for sharing, i needed to read this!
Old 08-07-2013, 11:25 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,455

I'm in the process of quitting myself. Been about 2 weeks although I did smoke a few while I was fishing this past Saturday. I use Skoal Snus to fight my urges. Still not great but definitely better than smoking. Just found out my wife is pregnant for my 2nd child. I want to be around for a while!!
Old 08-07-2013, 01:20 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,449

Quote:
Originally Posted by specktator View Post
I'm in the process of quitting myself. Been about 2 weeks although I did smoke a few while I was fishing this past Saturday. I use Skoal Snus to fight my urges. Still not great but definitely better than smoking. Just found out my wife is pregnant for my 2nd child. I want to be around for a while!!
yep, fishing saturday got me too! i had really good luck with the patch. Good luck and congrats on the baby
Old 08-07-2013, 01:58 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,424

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
Prayers to ya man, let us know if you need anything ?
Thanks, I'm mostly over it. Still hurts sometimes. My sister was an angler, her ashes are in Prien Lake. Take care with those spiders, prayers sent your way too.
Old 08-07-2013, 08:01 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,193

I'll soon be 38 and have been a smoker since I was 18. Like a lot of people I thought it was the cool thing to do. Before you know it cool doesn't matter anymore. I bought a can of snuff today so I could try to kick them "again" tomorrow. Snuff has its own drawbacks but i'm hoping it will help me get over the rough parts. I quit smoking for 3 years and then started back thinking I could control it. It doesn't work that way. You're all in or all out. Good luck to anyone trying to deal with this. I know from experience that it does get easier every day but it never goes away completely. One hour.one day.one year at a time. Good luck
Old 08-07-2013, 10:12 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,546

Good read! I need to quit myself. 27 been smoking since 17 so I could stop the bullet out the barrel so to speak but it's the hardest thing I've ever tried to do in my entire life. Good luck to all.
Old 08-08-2013, 04:38 AM
Ling

Cash: 5,600

$hi+ me too. Good way to put it. Every time I want one now I'm gonna think about a slow bullet.
Old 08-08-2013, 06:36 AM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 2,142

Got my Chantix in the truck. Keep forgetting to take it tho. If you haven't trued it, it works real good
Old 08-08-2013, 06:42 AM
Great White

Cash: 2,738

I try almost daily to get my mom to quit....she is 52 been a heavy smoker her whole adult life. I smoked a pack a day from 16 till 25. I quit cold turkey and never looked back. For me the hardest part was not to smoke if I had a few drinks. I very seldom drink anymore so I got it under control,thank god. Sorry for your loss no doubt it is a slow killer. It's not if it will kill you,but when.