SaltyCajun.com http://louisianaofficesystems.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 10-13-2012, 08:49 PM
Ling

Cash: 1,338
Default eggs for chicken wire

just getting into raising some laying hens. right now I have 20 chicks and am fixing to start building a coop for them. I was wondering if anyone had any chicken wire laying around that they may want to trade for some eggs. now obviously it will be a little while before they start laying but once they do I'll be having more eggs than I know what to do with(approx. 20 eggs a day). thats where your payment comes in. So anyone have any wire laying around that they'd be interested in trading.

also it wont be a one time deal. youll be having eggs as long as I have them.
Old 10-13-2012, 11:01 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

I hate to burst you expectations, but

With 20 chicks now, most likely in 6 months you will only have 15. Then when they do start finally start laying you will get maybe 7 eggs a day, but probably more like 3 or 4 per day.

Good news is that you should get [my estimate] 25 to 30 eggs per week.....if....all goes well.

Is this estimate fairly close????
Old 10-14-2012, 06:01 AM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald View Post
I hate to burst you expectations, but

With 20 chicks now, most likely in 6 months you will only have 15. Then when they do start finally start laying you will get maybe 7 eggs a day, but probably more like 3 or 4 per day.

Good news is that you should get [my estimate] 25 to 30 eggs per week.....if....all goes well.

Is this estimate fairly close????
idk but my buddy has 11 and he gets 10-11 eggs a day. and he bought extra in expectations that some would die and he hasnt lost but one. and it was full grown when it got killed. you may be right but thats how his is working out. we will see.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:03 AM
Flounder

Cash: 979

I have 10 chickens and get 7 or 8 eggs a day during the summer. Chickens don't lay we'll when the days get shorter and winter approaches. My egg production is already decreasing. As far as a coup, I went to academy and bought a dog kennel with a cover.($199.00). I then took some chicken wire and coerced the top holes to prevent creatures from getting in. if you live near any woods, you will probably have problems with coons. i also sprinkle Snakeaway around the pin to keep snakes away. Works great. I then built several egg 3 laying boxes.
Old 10-14-2012, 02:32 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,103

If you want to ever butcher chickens I have the perfect plucker. It is automated and will pluck 2 chickens in less than 30 seconds. My aunt had 58 birds and I was done in less than 2 hours in the cooler, on the way back home. It also does a fine job on geese.

I can't raise chickens in my neighborhood, per convenance so???????
Old 10-14-2012, 06:47 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

I have 4 chickens and I've been picking up an average of 3 eggs a day. They were hatched in April. I think I only picked up 4 eggs twice since they first started laying. I would get 15 now and in 5 or 6 weeks get 15 more. Chicken need 4 sq ft of space per chicken.
Old 10-14-2012, 06:56 PM
Swordfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by yigodiver View Post
If you want to ever butcher chickens I have the perfect plucker. It is automated and will pluck 2 chickens in less than 30 seconds. My aunt had 58 birds and I was done in less than 2 hours in the cooler, on the way back home. It also does a fine job on geese.

Just say they pets and don't get a rooster. I copied the plans from catawbacoops.com. I'm not supposed to have chickens either but the neighbors don't mind as long as I don't have a rooster screaming all the time.

I move my coop every few days so it doesn't make dead spots in the yard.
Old 10-15-2012, 02:54 PM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp snorkler View Post
I have 4 chickens and I've been picking up an average of 3 eggs a day. They were hatched in April. I think I only picked up 4 eggs twice since they first started laying. I would get 15 now and in 5 or 6 weeks get 15 more. Chicken need 4 sq ft of space per chicken.
ima let em free range im in a neighborhood with no wild animals or dogs. we got about 2 acres with about 1/4 acre of woods.
Old 10-15-2012, 02:55 PM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by yigodiver View Post

you wanting to sell it?
Old 12-05-2012, 11:46 AM
Swordfish

You getting any eggs yet?
Old 12-05-2012, 02:07 PM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp snorkler View Post
You getting any eggs yet?
No something killed everyone of em about a month ago. So I'm goin to re attempt in the spring when the weather warms up
Old 12-05-2012, 02:19 PM
Swordfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF_T_Warren View Post
No something killed everyone of em about a month ago. So I'm goin to re attempt in the spring when the weather warms up

Damn, that sucks. I caught a Possum snooping around my pen so I gave him a real quick dirt snap.
General Discussion (Everything Else): Any body have a....... - SaltyCajun.com
Old 12-05-2012, 03:44 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,607

I have chickens. We used to have about 30 and in the summer time we were getting about 20 to 40 eggs a day. When conditions are right, they will lay more than one egg per day. Now in the winter we only got about 15 per day with that many chickens. we recently got rid of a little more than half. we now have 12 and in the summer we get 8 to 15 eggs per day and in the winter 5 to 7.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:45 PM
Flounder

Cash: 615

You can put lights on them in the winter time, put them on a timer to make them think the day is longer and they will lay better in the winter time.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:11 PM
Swordfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAg View Post
You can put lights on them in the winter time, put them on a timer to make them think the day is longer and they will lay better in the winter time.
Quoted for the truth, I have a timer that comes at 3:30 am and I get 3 or eggs every day.

Also chicken lay on a 27 hour cycle so unless it's hatching preme eggs, you only going to get 1 per day per chicken.