SaltyCajun.com http://www.boltonford.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 10-16-2016, 06:11 PM
Redfish

Cash: 419

Okie doke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-16-2016, 07:54 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonikoddity View Post
Are you being serious or just adding to the troll factor? I'm legitimately confused.
Smalls is right. Judging the health of an ecosystem by the number of guide boats is bad science, so bad that it stinks.

There are some things about the ecosystem that show ongoing strength, but there was some luck involved with the closure of the pogey plant and huge increase in the menhaden numbers a couple years after the oyster numbers plummeted.

But in the long run, protecting the habitat is a better plan than raping it. Galveston Bay, Chesapeake Bay, and lots of estuaries along the Gulf coast and eastern seaboard dwindled to a fraction of the fisheries they once sustained after the destruction of the oysters in those systems. Oysters provide a number of very important ecosystem services which improve the habitat of the whole estuary and beyond.

Filtering of large volumes of water to improve light penetration is one of the most important ecosystem services provided by oysters. Why is light penetration so important? In a word: photosynthesis. The whole food chain depends on primary production through photosynthesis, then the biomass is available to the larger food web. No light penetration -> no photosynthesis -> no food web.

Colleagues and I have correlated the oyster stocks not only to primary production in Calcasieu Estuary itself, but also in a 100 km by 100 km square area in the near shore Gulf of Mexico adjacent to the estuary. It turns out that the oysters in Calcasieu are filtering the water, increasing light penetration, and enhancing primary production in that large region of Gulf water also. Muddier water -> less light penetration -> lower biomass. It's that simple.

The attached map shows the correlations between primary production in near shore Gulf waters and Calcasieu oyster stocks in the 9 years following Rita. This is convincing evidence that harming the oyster stocks in Calcasieu will harm not only the ecosystem in the estuary, but also in a large region of nearshore Gulf waters.

Keep raping the system, everyone is going to get screwed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Chlorophyll a correlated with Sack Oysters.jpg (46.4 KB, 294 views)
Old 10-16-2016, 08:11 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,216

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathGeek View Post
Smalls is right. Judging the health of an ecosystem by the number of guide boats is bad science, so bad that it stinks.

There are some things about the ecosystem that show ongoing strength, but there was some luck involved with the closure of the pogey plant and huge increase in the menhaden numbers a couple years after the oyster numbers plummeted.

But in the long run, protecting the habitat is a better plan than raping it. Galveston Bay, Chesapeake Bay, and lots of estuaries along the Gulf coast and eastern seaboard dwindled to a fraction of the fisheries they once sustained after the destruction of the oysters in those systems. Oysters provide a number of very important ecosystem services which improve the habitat of the whole estuary and beyond.

Filtering of large volumes of water to improve light penetration is one of the most important ecosystem services provided by oysters. Why is light penetration so important? In a word: photosynthesis. The whole food chain depends on primary production through photosynthesis, then the biomass is available to the larger food web. No light penetration -> no photosynthesis -> no food web.

Colleagues and I have correlated the oyster stocks not only to primary production in Calcasieu Estuary itself, but also in a 100 km by 100 km square area in the near shore Gulf of Mexico adjacent to the estuary. It turns out that the oysters in Calcasieu are filtering the water, increasing light penetration, and enhancing primary production in that large region of Gulf water also. Muddier water -> less light penetration -> lower biomass. It's that simple.

The attached map shows the correlations between primary production in near shore Gulf waters and Calcasieu oyster stocks in the 9 years following Rita. This is convincing evidence that harming the oyster stocks in Calcasieu will harm not only the ecosystem in the estuary, but also in a large region of nearshore Gulf waters.

Don't know why y'all celebrate the pogey plant shutting down locals lost their jobs just like they would if you ban oyster dredging. Didn't know this site was full of Hillary supporters. The lake is fine. The increase in guides shows that there are plenty of fish to be had for everyone

Make the lake great again
Old 10-16-2016, 10:22 PM
Redfish

Cash: 419

Quote:

I don't need an education on the oyster issue, I'm more than informed on the matter. How are you guys not getting that he's trolling you guys...it's only every single post from the guy lol.

I think sometimes a few folks on here want to interject their thoughts on matters so badly that they forget to use common sense or context clues...hell, maybe even read between the lines. It started off as entertaining to me at first, but now it's just sad that you don't see it. For me it basically discredits anything else you post on here.

Old 10-17-2016, 05:32 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,071

Can anyone describe or add a link to how or if the oysters are being reseeded or restocked? Has farming oysters in the big lake area ever been done? I know this practice is done on the east side of LA.
Old 10-17-2016, 08:22 AM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodKnot View Post
Can anyone describe or add a link to how or if the oysters are being reseeded or restocked? Has farming oysters in the big lake area ever been done? I know this practice is done on the east side of LA.

There is zero reseeding or restocking of oyster beds on big lake

The WLF and placed 3 areas in the lake to try and grow oyster beds.

1 in WC
1 South Bank
1 Com Pt
Old 10-17-2016, 08:39 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,948

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonikoddity View Post
I don't need an education on the oyster issue, I'm more than informed on the matter. How are you guys not getting that he's trolling you guys...it's only every single post from the guy lol.

I think sometimes a few folks on here want to interject their thoughts on matters so badly that they forget to use common sense or context clues...hell, maybe even read between the lines. It started off as entertaining to me at first, but now it's just sad that you don't see it. For me it basically discredits anything else you post on here.

Besting trolling he's ever done then, or the worst, depending on how you look at it. This moron is normally babbling about CCA and a silver lab.

Maybe it's you not recognizing when he is trolling or not.
Old 10-17-2016, 09:00 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

Sister Lake and Lake Mechant are farmed for oysters year round. No one has a problem catching specks there.
Old 10-17-2016, 09:41 AM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp snorkler View Post
Sister Lake and Lake Mechant are farmed for oysters year round. No one has a problem catching specks there.
Fact Check:

Sister Lake is closed this season, and the Lake Mechant season did not begin until Sept.

The following areas shall remain closed for the 2016/2017 oyster season:

? The area east of the Mississippi River and south of a line extending east from the Mississippi River Gulf Outlet at latitude 29 degrees 42 minutes 56.74 seconds N latitude, excluding the American Bay area listed above

? The Bay Gardene and Sister Lake Public Oyster Seed Reservations

The following opening dates were set for the upcoming oyster season (see maps above):

? Wednesday, September 7, 2016 - Bay Junop Public Oyster Seed Reservation, Lake Mechant Public Oyster Seed Grounds, and Vermilion/East and West Cote Blanche/Atchafalaya Bay Public Oyster Seed Grounds will open at one-half hour before sunrise. No harvest of oysters for market sales is allowed on any public oyster area prior to the second Monday in October. Therefore, any and all vessels harvesting on the open public oyster seed grounds between September 7, 2016 and October 9, 2016, both dates inclusive, shall be harvesting seed oysters for bedding purposes only and shall not have sacks or other containers typically used to hold oysters on board the harvest vessel.

You might check the regs before posting such ignorant statements.

See: http://www.wlf.louisiana.gov/fishing...oyster-seasons
Old 10-17-2016, 12:00 PM
Swordfish

Quote:
Quote:
Fact Check:

Sister Lake is closed this season, and the Lake Mechant season did not begin until Sept.

The following areas shall remain closed for the 2016/2017 oyster season:

? The area east of the Mississippi River and south of a line extending east from the Mississippi River Gulf Outlet at latitude 29 degrees 42 minutes 56.74 seconds N latitude, excluding the American Bay area listed above

? The Bay Gardene and Sister Lake Public Oyster Seed Reservations

The following opening dates were set for the upcoming oyster season (see maps above):

? Wednesday, September 7, 2016 - Bay Junop Public Oyster Seed Reservation, Lake Mechant Public Oyster Seed Grounds, and Vermilion/East and West Cote Blanche/Atchafalaya Bay Public Oyster Seed Grounds will open at one-half hour before sunrise. No harvest of oysters for market sales is allowed on any public oyster area prior to the second Monday in October. Therefore, any and all vessels harvesting on the open public oyster seed grounds between September 7, 2016 and October 9, 2016, both dates inclusive, shall be harvesting seed oysters for bedding purposes only and shall not have sacks or other containers typically used to hold oysters on board the harvest vessel.

You might check the regs before posting such ignorant statements.

See: http://www.wlf.louisiana.gov/fishing...oyster-seasons
I said Farmed, not harvested. There's a difference. Also, that's public beds. They have private leased beds that get worked over too.
Old 10-17-2016, 02:23 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
I said Farmed, not harvested. There's a difference. Also, that's public beds. They have private leased beds that get worked over too.
So you are arguing that the farming of a very small fraction of the area in two small bodies of water makes it scientifically sound to rape most of the area in Calcasieu Lake?

I didn't think anyone could possibly be that stupid.
Old 10-17-2016, 02:51 PM
Swordfish

Thats not what I said. I said "Sister Lake and Lake Mechant are farmed for oysters year round. No one has a problem catching specks there."

Where did I mention anything about Calcasieu Lake?
Old 10-17-2016, 03:25 PM
Trophy Trout

Quote:
So you are arguing that the farming of a very small fraction of the area in two small bodies of water makes it scientifically sound to rape most of the area in Calcasieu Lake?

I didn't think anyone could possibly be that stupid.
No one has a problem catching fish at calcasieu either. It's faux outrage in order to push an agenda to ban oystering
Old 10-17-2016, 10:08 PM
Redfish

Cash: 669

Big Lake's problem also starts with the number of guides pounding the fishery...folks will not ever bring that up. I am not bashing the guides, but you have guys like "W" that says the trout numbers are low due to loss of oyster reefs. Then on the other hand "W" has threads on this site that say the big lake trout limit was reduced from 25 per day to 15 per day with no scientific backing, which maybe true. But you have to pick a side for the situation to shift. The guides really have the best chance to take a stand on any issue due to numbers and the economic support they bring to the region. I would pick a blended sustainable model, but if the current population had a choice and there was no lobby, those oyster folks are going to get run out of town.

Old 10-18-2016, 02:26 AM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Thats not what I said. I said "Sister Lake and Lake Mechant are farmed for oysters year round. No one has a problem catching specks there."

Where did I mention anything about Calcasieu Lake?
If it is completely irrelevant to Calcasieu Lake, why did you say it at all in this thread?

That would be either more stupid, or perhaps an honest mistake.

"Gee Whiz, it's irrelevant, and I know it is irrelevant, but I'll say it anyway."
Old 10-18-2016, 02:28 AM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaPointIsDaBomb View Post
No one has a problem catching fish at calcasieu either. It's faux outrage in order to push an agenda to ban oystering
Who has mentioned banning oystering in Calcasieu Lake?

The consensus here is that it should be limited to tonging, and it should only be allowed at sustainable levels.

The claim that folks here are advocating a ban on oystering is a lie, by a liar, who just keeps lying.
Old 10-18-2016, 06:48 AM
Trophy Trout

Quote:
Who has mentioned banning oystering in Calcasieu Lake?

The consensus here is that it should be limited to tonging, and it should only be allowed at sustainable levels.

The claim that folks here are advocating a ban on oystering is a lie, by a liar, who just keeps lying.
Y'all hands don't know nothing about oystering in the lake in specific areas. They do surveys in the areas beforehand. They don't go to their crystal ball and decide which area to open up. There are also four cultch plants on calcasieu lake

Tong or dredge doesn't matter, the same amount of oysters are coming back to the dock at the end of the season. Dredging gets it over with quicker.
Old 10-18-2016, 06:50 AM
Trophy Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juciy View Post
Big Lake's problem also starts with the number of guides pounding the fishery...folks will not ever bring that up. I am not bashing the guides, but you have guys like "W" that says the trout numbers are low due to loss of oyster reefs. Then on the other hand "W" has threads on this site that say the big lake trout limit was reduced from 25 per day to 15 per day with no scientific backing, which maybe true. But you have to pick a side for the situation to shift. The guides really have the best chance to take a stand on any issue due to numbers and the economic support they bring to the region. I would pick a blended sustainable model, but if the current population had a choice and there was no lobby, those oyster folks are going to get run out of town.

the sports the guides take fishing probably go buy a sack of oysters also to take back with them. The guides are definitely helping out the local economy of the shrimpers buying bait shrimp and croakers
Old 10-18-2016, 12:02 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juciy View Post

Hold up hoss...

You never heard me say the trout numbers are low on big lake ...

I have been for the 25 per person limit along

I said the big trout numbers are down and it for a few reason but none of which means over all stock is down...

Stock is actually over populated is biggest cause of lower overall size
Old 10-18-2016, 01:01 PM
Swordfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaPointIsDaBomb View Post
Y'all hands don't know nothing about oystering in the lake in specific areas. They do surveys in the areas beforehand. They don't go to their crystal ball and decide which area to open up. There are also four cultch plants on calcasieu lake

Tong or dredge doesn't matter, the same amount of oysters are coming back to the dock at the end of the season. Dredging gets it over with quicker.

Agree, however dredging is more destructive.